Options

Best way to list contract jobs on resume?

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
What's the consensus on how to list contract jobs on your resume? Here's an example of what I do:

Job Title | Staffing Agency | Months of employment
- first bullet point which states the name of the company where work was performed on site at

Is there any proper way to write this or does it even matter?

Comments

• Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    There's a few ways, and it depends on a few factors which one I would use.

If they are fairly long term contracts or very different types of work, I would list them as you do.

If they are a lot of short term things, but all of the same basic skill I would do something like this:

Independent Contractor (or staffing agency contractor, or whatever applies) | total period of work
    - Specific company/work done
    - repeat

Doing it that way shows it as one block (as opposed to looking as if you were jumped around jobs), and works well if you were doing the same basic stuff at each place (such as consultant, or installation, training, etc).
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    Valsacar wrote: »
    There's a few ways, and it depends on a few factors which one I would use.

If they are fairly long term contracts or very different types of work, I would list them as you do.

If they are a lot of short term things, but all of the same basic skill I would do something like this:

Independent Contractor (or staffing agency contractor, or whatever applies) | total period of work
    - Specific company/work done
    - repeat

Doing it that way shows it as one block (as opposed to looking as if you were jumped around jobs), and works well if you were doing the same basic stuff at each place (such as consultant, or installation, training, etc
    ).

That's a good one. I would have just listed them as different jobs. Thanks for your insight!
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've only done one, but on my resume I listed it as shown below.

Company Name (Staffing Agency Name)
    Dates
    -Duties
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    I would try to, if possible stick to contracts that are 6 months or longer and just list them on the resume as you would a normal job. After a longer stint somewhere, you should be able to get some good references and build some influential relationships along the way to pick up something full time anyway.

So like this for a six month contract:

ABC IT Company (via ABC Recruiting) — Jan – July 2012

or if you just finished or are just on your last month:

ABC IT Company (via ABC Recruiting) — Jan – Present

WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've had several contract jobs over the past year. They've each been for a few months, so I put them on my resume as:

Contractor - <name of contracting company> @ <company name>, City, State Starting Date - Ending Date
    Job Title
  • Options
    Do you guys list the staffing agency city location or the work site city location?
  • Options
    chimax96chimax96 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why is it relevant through whom you're contracted by? I usually just list:

Company | 'Job Title' as Contractor | Months of employment
    Earned: x-B.S. CIS, x-MCP - 70-270
    Working on: ISTQB - Foundation Level, Security+
    Goal: CISSP, CEH, Consultant role in Cybersecurity
  • Options
    chimax96 wrote: »
    Why is it relevant through whom you're contracted by? I usually just list:

Company | 'Job Title' as Contractor | Months of employment

I figured it's the same reason that you want to list who you're employed with?