Options

are there anyone here who has a role where its support cases based?

healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
like at work is it que based work like you have a que which has tickets and your role is to sole them,

if so whats your role and how long you being in it and what kind of support cases do you get.

Comments

• Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    I've done queue based work before many times. In some cases, tickets were assigned to each person. I would come into work and someone would assign X tickets to my queue and I was expected to keep up enough to meet SLA. In other cases, there was a general queue that people could simply pull tickets from. The worst case is a phone based queue where the callers are simply transferred to a technician. I've never had to do that but I've worked places where level 1 technicians did do that. In all cases, the queue itself is not really of concern to me. It is the issues and callers themselves I have concerns regarding. I would much rather work on a server or network issue than a desktop issue. I find desktop work to be very frustrating and actually the most difficult tickets to work. IMO environments should be setup where machines can be reimaged without any debate. I publish apps to a TS or setup packages for remote pushing, once that is done there isn't a need to create thousands of tickets to try resolving every little issue unless it's a legitimate bug (such that repushing would not fix).
  • Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    do u get tickets to work on server and network issues.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I understand what you're asking, and I think I fall into this category. I work in a helpdesk/desktop support role, and we use a ticketing system as well as the phone lines. My situation is a little unique, my company has 13 locations and I'm the closest tech to 6 of them, so I get to do a lot of driving. (55 cents a mile!!) There are 4 of us who man the "helpdesk", and my office is in the second largest location.

All of us can pick any open tickets we want, and either take care of the problem or assign it to the person who will fix it. We try to do most of the work remotely, either via VNC/RDP or over the phone, walking someone through the steps. The tickets I pick up range from password resets, to hardware failures, to network outages. A little bit of everything really. The most common issues I see are: passwords, printer problems, group memberships, "extra" software installs, and generic end-user-education type issues ("how do I...?").

Does this answer your question?
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work from a queue as a Desktop Support Tech, basically working any issues sent from the help desk.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Queue here too

I don't receive phone calls or emails unless I initiate.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    healthyboy wrote: »
    do u get tickets to work on server and network issues.

That entirely depends on what you were hired for.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    TheCudder wrote: »
    I work from a queue as a Desktop Support Tech, basically working any issues sent from the help desk.

Same for me, except in Access Management instead of Desktop Support.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    70% of work here is ticket based
    I work a lot of things
    I dont get the purpose of the question though
    We get tickets, we solve them, try to meet the SLAs
    everyone happy

when it comes of priorities, it depends
    if the ticket says is high priority, then is high priority
    incidents have priority over service request or RFSs
    if a supervisor or + escalate a ticket, then that becomes priority
    and so on
    meh
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've done the phone queue, not fun, and usually very time based. The last company I worked at was a combo of being assigned tickets and just pulling tickets. It sucks because a lot of times things like user creation or just server based work would come in and people would snipe it. Sometimes you just don't want to talk to the end user lol.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    I work in phone que doing Server hardware and NOS support for Windows 2003 and 2008 it can be fun or a nightmare from call to call.

I work with System Administrators mostly and I wonder how some people can be in the position they are it's scary.

Who knows I may have talked to one of you at one point when your server's Raid Array has died or you broke your team on your NIC's and now your OS is BSOD every 10 minutes :D
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246