Options

Entry level design jobs

bfeuropabfeuropa Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
New thread but really a continuation of:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/72911-cisco-field-highest-paying-salary-point-view.html

Would someone please explain what first job I should aim for if I'd like to break into solutions, design, sales?

Engineering path option-> 10 or so years "engineering" experience then solutions/design?
A+/N+, Help Desk, CCNA/CCNP, NOC, CCDA, Jr. Admin, Admin, Engineer (there's more to engineering, see below), Sales/Solutions

How about an alternative career path for design/solutions/sales?
Specifically alternatives to the help desk (first job?).

As an example, is a CCDA w/no IT experience enough to find work at a business partner? (a few months of studying + ppl networking)

I hate internal meetings and paper pushing, but client presentations are good =PP.

I have two years analyst investment banking experience and am looking to transition into what I mentioned. I don't particularly want to work at a Deloitte or another bank for that matter. Prefer a stand alone IT company.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bfeuropa wrote: »
    New thread but really a continuation of:
    [HTML]http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/72911-cisco-field-highest-paying-salary-point-view.html[/HTML]

Is this roughly the main path? 10 or so years "engineering" experience then solutions/design?
    A+/N+, Help Desk, CCNA/CCNP, NOC, CCDA, Jr. Admin, Admin, Engineer, Sales/Solutions
    You say "Engineer" as if it's one step. Within that role there are Jr. Engineers, Engineers, Sr. Engineers, Lead Engineers, Principal engineers, and Fellows. The top sales engineers I know--and you asked this from the context of high pay rates--were at the very least Sr. Engineers first and often more. I've known three admins who transitioned into engineering roles. Two admins entered as Jr. Engineers, and a Sr. Admin entered as an Engineer. As far as the fastest route not involving a help desk, that would be a CS/EE degree. You would get to jump straight to Engineer. It's hard to dispute that the classes involving public speaking and communication would be an asset in a sales engineering role.

(There are also non-technical sales roles. The requirements for those roles are quite different.)

I also know a couple people who've gone into business for themselves selling multi-vendor gear and support contracts to small and medium businesses. They went from help desk to admin and then--once they'd amassed sufficient certifications, experience, and capital--launched their own enterprise. Some choose to first apprentice under someone more senior doing the same thing.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    bfeuropa wrote: »
    Is a CCDA w/no IT experience enough to find work at a business partner? (a few months of studying + ppl networking)

Not even close. The Cisco Design track doesn't teach you what's necessary to be a pre-sales engineer/solution architect. That comes with experience. You need vast technical (more how the pieces fit than the commands to configure) and tons of product knowledge. The best way to get into a role like this is to start with a VAR and work your way up. It will take years, most likely.

There is no shortcut. And there really shouldn't be, IMO. The process one goes through to become an engineer or architect or whatever, is what prepares one for the position.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    As far as the fastest route not involving a help desk, that would be a CS/EE degree. You would get to jump straight to Engineer.

I disagree with this. A degree alone, without real world experience, doesn't get you straight into engineering at all. Most will still need to start in the helpdesk or NOC. Some may come in as a very junior admin.
  • Options
    A little confusion perhaps, hopefully this illustrates where I'm coming from a bit more. I had it in mind when I made my first post. Emphasis mine.
    Turgon wrote: »
    I would't bother. Instead I would leverage that accounting background and do some of the Cisco pre sales qualifications and then look for a job with a Cisco partner selling solutions and services. You will learn a lot of technical skills in a job like that and be able to move into any job you want. If you are good at it you will get noticed and make increasing bonuses. Unless you really want to do operations or need to do operations (you dont) I advise people to seek other options. With accounting and a couple of years of presales behind you you could move into management with a service provider. 5 years on get an MBA and then start punting for VP positions.

[I have a finance accounting background.]

I thought turgon was telling entry level people with a non-engineering background to try to get their first <IT> job with a business partner selling rather than with a help desk supporting.

This sounded like a totally different path than to become an engineer right? Didn't seem like that was the point.

I am hoping to get a job within a month or so because I could spend my life just trying to figure out what all the different IT jobs out there are icon_lol.gif.

Thanks.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I disagree with this. A degree alone, without real world experience, doesn't get you straight into engineering at all.
    I didn't say a degree. I said a CS/EE degree. If you earn one of those from a reasonable (top #250?) school with a reasonable (2.5?) gpa and end up at a help desk, you've made a big mistake! Unless, of course, you prefer to work at a help desk. Then all is good and well. :)

I've been responsible for hiring before. A CS/EE + CCNA will get you on the short-list (a dozen candidates or fewer) for the most desireable entry-level engineer positions. I've even offered before to help new grads on here with those credentials find employment.
  • Options
    I'm curious if you all have any thoughts on the quotation I provided. Non-engineering.

In short, I think getting a job in sales at a Cisco business partner with only a CCDA + no experience is aiming too high for a first IT job, but a job at Geek Squad is aiming too low.

What's a tiny bit "more within reach" than selling at a Cisco business partner?
    I want to have to stretch and hustle a bit for a good job, but not do the impossible. Non-engineering focus.
  • Options
    Ok I think I found what I was looking for.

Cisco Channel Partner locator: Partner Locator-Partner Central - Cisco Systems
    Has all the info I was looking for, companies, solutions they provide, website, etc...
    And from there I found several job offerings via LinkedIn that I didn't see on Indeed. Sales and so on. I just feel better knowing more details about the companies' specific offerings.