Options

Packet Tracer Training: Need help

ProjectRK™ProjectRK™ Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Here is the scenario I want to happen:

PC-01 <-> Switch-01 <-> R1 <-> Modem-01 <-> Cloud-01 <-> Switch-Cloud <-> Cloud-02 <-> Modem-02 <-> R2 <-> Switch-02 <-> PC-02

I manage to let the R1 ping R2 through cloud interfaces. But i'm still having trouble how to let the PC-01 ping the other end of this connection (PC-02). can anyone help?

here is what i did for both routers:
R1
- I set the
CGe 0/1 = 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
CFe 0/0 = 200.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
RIPv2 = Network 192.168.1.0, 200.168.1.0

R2
- I set the
CGe 0/1 = 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
CFe 0/0 = 200.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
RIPv2 = Network 192.168.1.0, 200.168.1.0

- I also did the 'no shutdown' on all interfaces on both routers.
- copy run start

what is exactly the setup for WAN, I am just trying this out kind of design, but what is mostly used in real world?

*need help on this please, i am studying for WAN, detailed configuration for both hardware and CLI, can be very helpful, thank you very much in advance.

feels like I am noob or dumb, but my point is I am trying to learn.

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hint: Look at the IP addresses.

And packet tracer is worthless, use gns3.
  • Options
    thanks for the reply, is gns3 are good netsim? are they realistic and less bug? also the stuff inside it is up to date with current technologies?
  • Options
    thanks for the reply, is gns3 are good netsim? are they realistic and less bug? also the stuff inside it is up to date with current technologies?

Gns3 is an emulator, not a simulator. Gns3 uses actual cisco ios files to emulate physical devices. So basically if you use gns3, it is identical to using a real live device with all the features available in the ios that you've setup for that device.

Legal Note: Because gns3 uses real cisco ios files, you must use an authorized cisco.com account with access to these files in order to download them. They aren't freely available to just anyone.
  • Options
    Legal Note: Because gns3 uses real cisco ios files, you must use an authorized cisco.com account with access to these files in order to download them. They aren't freely available to just anyone.

ouchy!!! well, i better stick to what i have then, back to packet tracer lol
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Packet Tracer is far from worthless. Don't think you have to set up GNS3 just based off of one guy's opinion. Plenty of people use packet tracer as their only source of labing for CCNA.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    zrockstar wrote: »
    Packet Tracer is far from worthless. Don't think you have to set up GNS3 just based off of one guy's opinion. Plenty of people use packet tracer as their only source of labing for CCNA.

I agree. I actually use both. GNS3 can't do switching properly. Packet Tracer is great for learning simulations. I've been able to do things quickly in packet tracer that would take me a lot longer with GNS3.

That said, I do prefer GNS3 for the fact that is an emulator and not just a simulator. It offers full functionality of the IOS. I have some physical routers, as well, so I have the IOS from them in GNS3. So, I'm using 3 different ways. All three offer their strengths and bring it all together. I can run more virtual routers in various configurations (and WIC/NM's) with GNS3. Packet Tracer really does fill in the gaps, though. Plus, there are a lot of exercises floating around in PT format. That really helps.
  • Options
    zrockstar wrote: »
    Plenty of people use packet tracer as their only source of labing for CCNA.

Sure, if you want buggy labs. And yes, that is said from experience. I used PT for well over a year before switching to gns3 and real equipment.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Sure, if you want buggy labs. And yes, that is said from experience. I used PT for well over a year before switching to gns3 and real equipment.

Yea, you can't use it for everything (I don't think I could go full CCNA with it exclusively), but as an additional resource to the others it works great. I have the physical equipment to go along, but putting a lab on a laptop and studying while traveling is awesome.

I do wish there was something that could run on the iPad. It seems like it's make a great study tool to have a simulator (doubt you could emulate much with it's low horsepower). Packet Tracer would be very valuable in a situation like that...

Besides, GNS3 requires actual IOS images, and physical hardware can add some $$ to your studies. Not something everyone has. PT is a great resource, but it's not perfect. Nor are a lot of things, really.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    phoeneous wrote: »

I will agree, PT does have some quirks, but it has gotten a lot better. There used to be a time when you couldn't even int range on PT, but a lot of that stuff has been changed. If you haven't used it in a while, you might be surprised if you took another look at it. I mean it is going to look the same, but you will probably find that it is noticeably smoother in function.
  • Options
    ProjectRK, did you figure out your routing issue yet?