Options

Server 2008 KSOD

gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
Hello,

A customer of ours is experiencing a KSOD on their Server 2008, that started on 5/3. On 5/4, we noticed a rogue virus that said the hard drive was failing, invalid file rights and tried to get us to purchase their software. Unfortunately the tech working the issue doesn't recall the exact malware, however now when logging into the server, it shows ctrl+alt+del and once pressing that sequence, it goes to a black screen. We can move the cursor, but nothing else. It just hangs here. No other boot options help (ex. safe mode). Power cycle doesn't help. Tried running anti-virus from PE with no luck as of yet. System is a RAID5 array. I was told when they tried to login on Friday with an admin account, it was rejected. They were able to create a local non-admin account for access then, but now we just get the black screen.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Our initially fixes today will be to try SFC off the 08 disc and run some anti-virus solutions.

Thanks!
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Hope they had a good backup. Might be time to do the fdisk format reinstall dance.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You beat me to it. Being a backup-centric guy if the system is important I wouldn't spend too much time figuring out what happened.
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    So apparently this customer has NO backups whatsoever... We represent the customer on a different IT aspect, and they had an SLA with another company for server management. Although I'm assuming we will be taking over moving forward for everything.

SFC found no issues.. Any more suggestions?
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)