Options

Lucking Out with Bosses?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Ever feel like you hit the jackpot with bosses you've had? I'm not talking the boss of your boss (that's usually hit or miss), but the person you report to directly everyday. I was thinking about it last night and found that my direct bosses have been pretty awesome the past 5 years. I know this comes as a surprise, but I'm not the easiest person to get along with. And yet, so far so good on the bosses front! Might have to get the current one something for bosses week (if they have it...).
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Yep, I have been very lucky. Makes the work environment sooo much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Well, I'm not a problem child like the_Grinch, HAHA! Pretty lucky here too. Out of my last 4 bosses I keep in touch with all but one (no one liked him). The 3 always appreciated my contribution and valued the team as a whole. One of them has been my friend for over 15 years. Current boss is also great. Can't complain at all.
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    My previous manager I saw once every 3 months if that and probably shared less than 100 words in person over 2 years. He didn't even bother to introduce himself on my first day... They've since made one of the team members the team manager (who reports directly to the director of IT) and we get on great.

Where I worked previously I still get on great with the manager. :)
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't really have a Boss, i'm unsupervised! Meh. It's not all that it's cracked up to be.

My bosses are good people, intelligent too. I just wished I were in the same building so I could see the network and stuff.

I'd rather take the experience of watching and learning and doing with supervision :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Nice to see others are just as lucky. My current boss is probably the best I've had (in real full time job terms), but the others were on par. We're a lot a like and when I get ticked about something at the very least he usually agrees, which is all I ask for lol.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    It has been hit or miss for me. My first boss was a good guy and actually an adjunct professor of mine in undergrad. Second boss was terrible, the kind of person who wears a smile but works against you behind your back. Third boss was also terrible, she got her excitement by making everyone paranoid about their job. My third boss was a nice guy, big time trouble maker. My current boss is really good, communicates clearly and is always sure to acknowledge hard work.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While I was in the Government I had one good boss and a bunch of average to bad bosses. I then hit the private sector and ran into a rash of decent - good ones. My last boss I had was demanding but amazing. Taught me more in 6 months then all my previous bosses taught me. After a year of exposure to him I have grown light years ahead of where I should be.

To the original poster it's amazing when that happens.
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been blessed to have a string of really good bosses as well. All of them so far have gone the extra mile in requesting raises and and reimbursements without my asking or even being aware sometimes. God has been great to me!! :)
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    My old boss was really cool and a great drinking buddy...my current direct report is in a different state and I have spoken to him 6 times in the past year. I basically look at the most senior guy on our team as my boss in some ways and he is great to work with, so I guess I have been lucky.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    foofightersfoofighters Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My current bosses are great, they give us lots of training and are willing to goto bat for us with higher management and customers.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Current direct supervisor, director and CIO are all great. The thing I like most about my director is that he gives us a chance to do things. If a subcontractor offers to perform X job as part of some larger project, he comes to us first to see if it's something we can handle and if it is, we do it instead of forking over $5k for some task that can be done in an hour. Having management trust and value your abilities is worth it's weight in gold. Well maybe not gold. Silver.

At my last place of employment, I didn't care for my director at all. He's the kind of guy you can't list on your resume as a reference because he will try to keep you from getting a new job just to keep you there. And he thinks he has the greatest IT department in the history of earth and the ONLY reason people would ever consider leaving is over pay, not the environment. Not the fact that he plays favorites and praises his favorites in meetings for getting their shoes tied properly, while others who do good work (which goes over his head anyway) get no recognition at all.

He's also one of those "why would you get a certification in anything, those don't mean anything" types as well.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    I've been lucky, past three companies I've worked for paid for education in one form or another. One would pay for the degree if it was related to your job. One would pay for whatever certs you wanted (not training, just the cert itself). Current one pays for education, but it's a University so you have to expect it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff