DHCP issue

someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
Hey guys,

I've setup a Virtual lab on my laptop. I have 2 instances for Server 03 running.
1- Domain Controller with integrated DNS zones with "secure updates only"
2- DHCP server.

I'm using my smartphone as a ICS on both instances. I've set up a static IP on DC 192.168.33.205/24 DG:192.168.33.1 DNS: 192.168.33.1
On DCHP I have it set to automatically obtain IP address which it does from ICS, I'm trying to make the DHCP server a member of the domain.
IP: 192.168.33.188/24
DG:192.168.33.1
DNS: 192.168.33.1

I know for a fact I'm either missing something or doing something wrong. I can't get DHCP server to contact the DC to become a member server within the domain. This is what I get when I try to join the domain1.local network.

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain domain1.local:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain1.local

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a domain controller for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a domain controller is added to a domain. They are updated by the domain controller at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

domain1.local
local
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Comments

• derkitderkit Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try using your DNS with secure and non-secure updates.
    I think for secure updates only to work, the computer account already needs to be present in AD. With your DHCP server it has yet to join the domain so the computer account isn't in there.

A secondary thought - if ICS is being your DHCP server, why install another one??
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    someeh wrote: »
    IP on DC 192.168.33.205/24

On DHCP [...]
    DNS: 192.168.33.1
    DHCP has to be able to know where your DC is in order to join the domain.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • derkitderkit Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DHCP has to be able to know where your DC is in order to join the domain.

Good catch - didn't see that myself initially icon_redface.gif
    What about the DCs DNS address? Is that wrong too?
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    Okay, not ICS.. I was using my phone as a wireless router to connect. But I see where this will cause a problem. Thanks for the feedback guys.