Options

Researching Networking monitoring software.

BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
Working for a company with 50+ employees, expected to grow drastically over the next couple years, any recommendations?
Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    I've always used Solarwinds Orion NPM. It has a nice interface, and has tiered pricing to scale up. I've also used What's Up Gold. I was more familiar with Orion, so I chose it... however What's up was pretty good. There are also some open source ones... but I never seemed to be able to get them to work easily.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response, I was just looking at solarwinds. Ill have to look into it further. thank you again.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Take a look at What's Up Gold as well. It's another product. I still prefer Solarwinds.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Solarwinds is a great paid tool, but there are free and paid ones:

Nagios - The Industry Standard in IT Infrastructure Monitoring (free, a little bit of a learning curve)
    https://www.icinga.org/ (based off nagios, a little more polished on the front end)
    Homepage of Zabbix :: An Enterprise-Class Open Source Distributed Monitoring Solution (haven't used but have heard good things)
    Transforming IT Operations | Zenoss
    PRTG Network Monitor - intuitive network monitoring software (paid but gets great reviews from most people)

Lots of options both paid and free, you just need to try them and see which one fits your needs/workflow.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    We have SolarWind Orion NPM deployed at a site but use Nagios for most of our monitoring. Definitely a learning curve involved with Nagios but it is a pretty fun product to work with and pretty powerful. I've been eying Icinga lately but haven't had the time to test it out. One benefit over Nagios is it does look like there is granular rights management for the users which is a complaint I have about Nagios.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So what exactly are you looking for? Just a simple up/down or do you want statistics, backup, config push, traffic graphs yada yada? A little more info on your needs will help people give a better suggestion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally id setup Nagios but it really depends on what you currently running and what your comfortable with