Options

Ubuntu for your phone

the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
Ubuntu for Android | Ubuntu

The newest ubuntu releaseicon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    foofightersfoofighters Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks pretty slick. Have you tried it out? I wonder how well it would run on my Galaxy Nexus.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't believe it is currently possible to try it out just yet. They'll need to work with handset makers to get everything running properly. I'm interested to see the carrier's take on this. They'll be the deciders as to whether this takes off or not.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You can't try it out. It isn't available to the public. You have to be a phone manufacture (i.e. Motorola, Samsung, HTC, etc.) or a carrier (i.e. AT&T, Spring, Verizon, etc) to get it.

The Motorola Atrix came with it loaded on there. There are accessories required to use a keyboard, monitor, and mouse with it.

There are other (unsupported) ways to run Ubuntu on an Android phone that have been around for a while.
  • Options
    I got the laptop dock for my Droid Bionic, it's decent enough, but a little slow. Perfect for a long train ride though! It has it's own battery that charges the phone battery when docked.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    If it does take off, Google might not be too thrilled about it
  • Options
    I don't think Google will mind too much. Not like this OS is going to replace the phone and it's really another notch it will have against the iPhone. Would be nice to just carry your phone, place it into a dock, and start working.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Ubuntu is working on an actual Smartphone OS (like Android) and that will incorporate a lot of what you see in Ubuntu For Android, but whether or not it will be a useful thing remains to be seen. Given how entrenched Android already is, Ubuntu would probably have to bring Android app compatibility to the table to be a success or it would likely fail if it came to market without some major selling points or some serious apps available to entice a transition.