Options

I was thinking of adding this to my resume...any thoughts?

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have created a QR code (the code for the smartphone readers) for my resume which is going to serve a dual function of a direct link and something that someone can scan with a smart phone to be taken to a more detailed version of my resume if they are interested. The image will be small and in the upper right hand corner with a brief description that says "For a more detailed resume, click the image above or scan it with a smart phone" the link will take them here Joshawa Speiker. This is my actual page that I created today...what do you guys think? yay or nay?
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    bugzy3188 wrote: »
    yay or nay?
    yay!

I really like the idea! In fact, may I borrow it? :D
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    feel free..glad you like the idea
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Great idea. Be sure to check your spelling.
    I currently hold a Microsoft MCTS certification in Windows configuration. A copy of my trascript
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Krones wrote: »
    Great idea. Be sure to check your spelling.
    I currently hold a Microsoft MCTS certification in Windows configuration. A copy of my trascript

Thanks for the catch +rep
  • Options
    LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool idea! I may also have to steal this.
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
  • Options
    Finally got the resume formatted the way I wanted after spending many hours doing the blog, still have yet to actually write the resume or cover letter. This is the most effort that I have ever put in to a resume I really hope it pays off! I'm really banking on peaking the curiosity of potential interviewers with that QR code, hopefully they click or scan it so my work wasn't done in vein (crosses fingers).
  • Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Seems like a cool idea, hope it helps you out! :)
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have created a QR code (the code for the smartphone readers) for my resume which is going to serve a dual function of a direct link and something that someone can scan with a smart phone to be taken to a more detailed version of my resume if they are interested. The image will be small and in the upper right hand corner with a brief description that says "For a more detailed resume, click the image above or scan it with a smart phone" the link will take them here Joshawa Speiker. This is my actual page that I created today...what do you guys think? yay or nay?

I’m looking for a help desk job too, so I will give my advice based off my experience.

I’m going to be unpopular, but I think using a QR code on your resume is a bad idea....

Here’s why:

You should focus on your resume and cover letter and make sure they’re 100% error free. You can post versions on TE( that have removed personal info) for review and suggestions.

Also, if you are a college graduated, the college you attended will usually help you write and edit your resume.

You really shouldn’t have an extra detailed resume. One resume is more than enough. A resume is supposed to be a snap shot of your experience, education, and skills. It’s not a supposed to be a big picture. A manager wants to quickly review a resume and sometimes a cover letter to decide if they want to interview you.

A blog is a good idea, but you’re listing so much stuff, what will you have to talk about in the interview? Save some stuff for the interview. If you really want a blog try e-folio instead, it’s website we used in school. It took awhile to build, but you can list your certs, college degree, transcripts, screen shots of labs ect. I think I saw in another post that you are a Minnesota resident; I only mention this because e-Folio does require you to be a resident of MN..as far as I know.

If you are dead set on the QR code and suggest that you put a QR code on a business card that will link a smart phone user to your resume. You could use this for networking, job interviews, ect

Here's the link for efolio
    http://v2efoliomn.project.mnscu.edu/index.asp?Type=NONE&SEC={C9F3183B-DD73-4C4F-A491-F1955BF6174C}

Welcome to eFolioMinnesota(tm), a Web-based portfolio designed to help you create a living showcase of your education, career, and personal achievements.

All Minnesota residents; including students and educators affiliated with Minnesota schools and people working in the state of Minnesota, can use eFolioMinnesota to reach their career and education goals.

eFolioMinnesota is a free resource for Minnesota residents, students, and workers provided by the Minnesota State Colleges and University system.

Some examples of efolio

http://v2efoliomn.project.mnscu.edu/index.asp?Type=NONE&SEC={C9F3183B-DD73-4C4F-A491-F1955BF6174C}

good luck on your job search
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I'd say it is maybe 50/50 at best. You better have all the important information on your resume. As someone who performs interviews, if I saw this with that wording "for a more detailed resume", my first thought would be "he couldn't fit everything on the resume I have in my hands?". My second thought is going to be "gimmick", and I may not pay much attention to your resume at all. I certainly won't whip out my phone and try to scan the QR code. I have yet to see ANY QR code anywhere that has made me want to scan it. If I'm trying to go through a stack of resumes, I don't have time to mess around with such nonsense.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Everyone wrote: »
    I'd say it is maybe 50/50 at best. You better have all the important information on your resume. As someone who performs interviews, if I saw this with that wording "for a more detailed resume", my first thought would be "he couldn't fit everything on the resume I have in my hands?". My second thought is going to be "gimmick", and I may not pay much attention to your resume at all. I certainly won't whip out my phone and try to scan the QR code. I have yet to see ANY QR code anywhere that has made me want to scan it. If I'm trying to go through a stack of resumes, I don't have time to mess around with such nonsense.

I agree.

To me it seems silly, especially when they have a copy of your resume. In my opinion, nothing is worse than two copies of a resume. Most interviews I have been on, the interviewer has a copy of the resume. Which one do they print out?

I would say there is nothing wrong with a QR code on a business card. On the resume it just seems tacky.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »

+++1

I couldn’t agree more!!!!

I’m not a hiring manager ,but my understanding is that….
    If the resume unreadable, lacks certain qualifications, has too much information, or just plain doesn’t make sense, then it goes into the “don’t contact” pile.

Anyone remember someone on TE mentioning a candidate that had a 19 page resume?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll do you one better, get it printed on your business cards instead of a logo. That way, when you hand out your business card it's like handing out your resume as well. Maybe put some wording under it like "Get my Resume on Your Smart Phone!". I for one think you came up with a great idea!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I can see where you guys are coming from, here's the thing though, I have no official IT experience and only 1 certification. In my eyes, my resume is predestined to be forgettable no matter how I format/word it. The QR code is more of a memory thing, just to get someone to look for longer than the 5 to 10 seconds that it takes to form a memory.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't think its too bad of an idea at your stage. Is it kind of gimmicky? Yeah, but like you said you need something to standout at this point.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I can see where you guys are coming from, here's the thing though, I have no official IT experience and only 1 certification. In my eyes, my resume is predestined to be forgettable no matter how I format/word it. The QR code is more of a memory thing, just to get someone to look for longer than the 5 to 10 seconds that it takes to form a memory.

I’m in the same boat-I have an IT degree,IT volunteer experience, and some certs.

Do you have a college degree, or customer service experience? Most of the help desk jobs I have seen that are entry level look for canidates with customer service experience. Infact, I have seen quite a few help desk jobs that want customer service experience, more than they want the actual IT experience.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think this would be pretty cool and a way to stand out. If you have an online presence say a blog that deals with IT, you have examples of your work, etc the code would connect to it.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mixed feelings. It's gimicky, but cool. That's my first reaction. Much like Everyone, I've yet to see a QR code that I want to scan. I think it kind of falls in the same category as putting your certification logos on your resume. Hit or miss.
  • Options
    This business card idea sounds better. I have the URL for my website on my business cards. It is part of my personal brand recognition. My business cards are provided by my company with their logo on it, and I have guidelines to follow when ordering them.

Nothing wrong with sending a business card along with your resume, or handing one out during an interview. However since most resumes are sent via e-mail these days, especially for IT jobs... A URL in the signature block of your e-mail cover letter is probably better than a QR code.

If you're going to have a webpage with your resume on it, and link to it, that page should be your resume formatted the same way it appears on paper or in Word/PDF form, however you deliver your normal resume. It can be contained in-between the normal header/footer and sidebars of your website. So if someone does go look at it, and they want to see what other content you have on the site, they can navigate your site just like they would if they had landed on any other page of the site.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To the original question, it's a bit of a gimmick but I can understand the reasoning. I wouldn't scan it but if it's unobtrusive I wouldn't hold it against a candidate either.

A quick question about the linked web page, and this may be because I don't understand MS certifications as well as I thought I did, but I did not know that MS had a MCITP Network Admin cert, they do have a Server Admin cert but that would require 640, 642 & 646. You could get the MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician or Enterprise Desktop Administrator with your 680 and the 685 or 686 respectively.

I'm nitpicking but you should be accurate with the certification names.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I've been going back and forth on this... I think that if I were to do something like this it would be QRCs for my certs, linking to the verification page.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
  • Options
    NewbieITNewbieIT Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent work. My only suggestion, with a question, "Are you able to simplify it?"

I am planning to do this myself, however a friend of mine also on his website resume also used graphs, pie graphs, to show work history. With our new technology a website is able to be used for many purposes and supporting a text resume is one of those. Looks good all around though.
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not something that I would do but I can see it being of some intrigue to the type of hiring manager who is happy to spend more than 1 minute per C.V.

Agree with the poster above about the MCITP in Network Administration, that doesn't exist, fix that.

Also spotted a few errors in the Experience section.

"because if the time"
    "anything that need"

You'll want to sort that out before advertising it to potential employers.

I'd also make the QR code go directly to the mobile optimized site.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    This was recommended to me today.

Was wondering how this was working out for others.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown