CCNA Self-Study

darrbajadarrbaja Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
I would like to verify if the following books/resources are enough for passing both ICND1 and 2 through self study.

Books:

I am currently using 1 type of book, which is issued from Cisco Press. I've just finished reading through the 2 books below and took short notes for them. These books cover the ICND1. I already have the other 2 books to cover ICND2, but I still have to read them.

Network Fundamentals CCNA Exploration Companion Guide:
([HTML]http://www.amazon.com/Network-Fundamentals-Exploration-Companion-Guide/dp/1587133482/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336653229&sr=8-1[/HTML])

Routing Protocols and Concepts CCNA Exploration Companion Guide:
([HTML]http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Exploration-Course-Booklet-Protocols/dp/1587132516/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1336653362&sr=8-8[/HTML])

Labs, Simulator: Packet Traces. There are a lot of labs online, so I am practicing from those.

CBTs: I am watching CBTs from trainsignal and tod lammel.

Tests: Again, I am finding alot of sample questions from the internet to test my understanding through multiple choice questions. (I am aware that there will be other type of questions in the exam, like commands and drag & drop, etc.)

Can anyone please tell me if that is enough to pass the exams? The only addition I have in mind is to buy Odom's 3rd edition book ([HTML]http://www.amazon.com/640-802-Official-Library-Updated-Edition/dp/158720438X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336653855&sr=1-1[/HTML]) since it is a highly recommended book and it comes with sample questions and other good stuff.

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my opinion - buy this book: Amazon.com: CCENT: Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician Study Guide: ICND1 (Exam 640-822) (Exam 640-822 With CD) (9780470247020): Todd Lammle: Books

or this: Amazon.com: CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, includes CD-ROM: Exam 640-802 (9780470901076): Todd Lammle: Books

and this: Amazon.com: CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition) (9781587204357): Wendell Odom: Books

The first book covers all exam objectives, the 2nd covers both ICND1 and 2. And the 3rd covers all ICND2 objectives.

Packet Tracer is alright - but not the best. It's kind of buggy and has weird things happen (sometimes) when you're configuring a network. If you have the money, buy a couple of routers and switches off eBay.

The books have test sections at the beginning/end of each chapter, this helps A LOT! All books also come with a CD, which definitely helped me a lot, too. I didn't go through any of these Boson practice tests, I just saved my money, read the books and took the practice questions that came with the books.

Good luck in your studies.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the CCNA Lammle book. In addition to the CBT and Trainsignal videos, I also used VTC.com CCNA videos as well, which are quite good.

Make sure you can do the labs exercises until your eyes bleed and your brain bursts.
  • CEHwanabeCEHwanabe Banned Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    9 t u t . com is the best
  • radixradix Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CEHwanabe wrote: »

isn't this a braindump site? would be useless if your gonna memorize the exam questions rather than understanding the topics
    If you ain't pissed off for greatness that means you're okay with being mediocre
    That site really does explain every question in detail too.
    I also recieved -negative repuation ?? well that what my school gave idk~!
    radix wrote: »
    isn't this a braindump site? would be useless if your gonna memorize the exam questions rather than understanding the topics
  • darrbajadarrbaja Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips so far, much obliged
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well thats what the teacher told me when i took a CCNA boot camp!
    That site really does explain every question in detail too.
    I also recieved -negative repuation ?? well that what my school gave idk~!

Well then, your teacher most likely used brain **** to 'help' you pass the exam lol. Yes and these questions that are explained in detail are the same ones that appear on the actual exam.

According to certguard, the site you mentioned is a known brain ****/damage site. Notice when you try to type ****.com into this post it is blocked.

http://www.certguard.com/search.asp

Sometimes i feel like putting the boot into these boot camps lol. All they do is feed you brain **** to 'guarantee' that you will pass the exam. I used to wonder why you paid $5000 for an exam that they guaranteed that you would pass the first time. It sounded too good to be true. Now i know why. Good for a laugh.

Did you actually use any other sources then **** ? Did you actually do any labs ?

Haha and why did you have to type 9 t u t ? is that because **** is not allowed on this forum ?
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    When I took my A+, I read through two books over about 4 or 5 months.

After I passed my exam, my company brought someone in to teach an A+ class to help get more people certified. This "teacher" gave everyone a disc that had all of the actual exam questions on it. These guys were going to one week of class, studying this disc for 3 or 4 days, and then going and passing the exam.

Then, they were getting on my case for needing 4 or 5 months to study.

Ridiculous!
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow - that is ridiculous! It bothers me when I hear about people braindumping - makes me feel like when someone sees that I have a certification they ask themselves, did he study to take this test or braindump, but after short a conversation with me about a specific subject, you'd know that I studied. :)
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    This "teacher" gave everyone a disc that had all of the actual exam questions on it. These guys were going to one week of class, studying this disc for 3 or 4 days, and then going and passing the exam.

Yeh i remember my old workplace where everyone was required to pass the old Windows XP exam (70-270 i think it was). A disc with tking on it was passed around. I didn't realise at the time that this was a braindump with all the actual exam questions haha. I just thought it was a study guide with a whole lot of questions to work through. Somehow i got 100% on my exam. Awesome !!

I remember how one guy spent just the weekend studying up and passing the exam, and me thinking, gee he must be a smart cookie. Now i realise why haha.