Options

Hello

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi All,

How is everyone doing on TE? The site is looking very funky and it seems busy...

Haven't posted for a while, been one busy bee :)

I have been organising Windows Powershell workshops at work, putting what would normally take 5 days of lecturing into 1.5 hours is one hell of a challenge but I think I've done well ;) Would love to make a product of the training and sell it but my management will need some convincing.

Been picking up Java/C# at a very steady rate in my spare time and have been working on a small indie game studio, concentrating solely on Unity3d for now. This has been my greatest challenge as of yet, I have been looking to join smaller teams to gain experience but then realising you need a portfolio and the know how to do this. Its been a blast so far and I am learning a lot, looking to one day complete my dream of working as an indie game developer full time.

Loosing some pounds slowly but surely, it has to be said this is actually the hardest challenge ive undertaken if I am honest icon_redface.gif Got a nice holiday to book in the states this year, I am thinking west coast as I have been east coast already.

No plans to do any IT certs currently but this site was an awesome resource for me during my CCNA/MCSA/Juniper fw cert and comptia S+. The guys and girls here are always helpful!!

Hows the old crew doing if they are still around?? I don't wanna name names because there are loads of users I still remember from these boards and it would be easy to leave people out!

Take it easy,

Pash
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome back Pash, nice to have ol' timers come back. A few others havent posted in a while too, dynamik, royal, mikej412, astorrs and some others come to mind.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Welcome back!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hey Pash,

Welcome back!
    Pash wrote:
    have been working on a small indie game studio, concentrating solely on Unity3d for now.
    That's a great package to work with. I find any engine a bit bloated by definition so I avoid them but Unity3D would fit well in my workflow. And yeah, a portfolio is essential if you want to work as an indie game developer. Do you aim at mobile devices (Android)? Good luck completing your dream!
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Where the heck have you been?

Only joking, good to 'see' you fella. Best of luck with the Java/C# and unity3D stuff - sounds like you've been enjoying yourself which is fantastic icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Hey all!

Great to see some old faces and thanks for the welcome backs!

Ill see if I can be of some use now and again in some forums...if not I can provide idiotic questions to extend the learning :)

Johan, the site is still looking nice and busy, great job. Thanks for your encouragement. Unity3d does seem very good, they have been giving away free ios/android licenses recently which was attractive. The documentation doesn't seem too shabby and I can seem to find the answer to most things I need fairly quickly. I really want to just put out a simple game to play in the unity web player to begin with, mobile development could tempt me later on but I think that to deploy to IOS devices I would still need a MAC (as far as I understand from testing the deployment options). The only major gripe I have with unity3d thus far is that the unity store is only browsable via the unity3d ide, which is terrible for such a potentially great commercial tool!

Thanks again all!

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Pash wrote: »
    Johan, the site is still looking nice and busy, great job. Thanks for your encouragement.
    Thanks man, and likewise :)
    Pash wrote:
    Unity3d does seem very good, they have been giving away free ios/android licenses recently which was attractive.
    It also seems a lot more complete than a few years ago when it was already an attractive product. I watched a few video back then and seriously considered purchasing it. It contains many features that can save one a lot of time and focus on the results. Plus you should be able to publish to different systems without a lot of modifications or at least reuse a lot. The price didn't make me very enthusiastic though - free sounds good (I'm guessing it still required the Pro license). If I remember correctly it required, for 3D games on IOS, using Maya or Blender (on a Mac) while I don't want to switch from 3D Studio Max (PC only). I'm using the IMGtec SDK lately (from the creators of the GPUs in IOS and other devices hence performs very well) which, all tools and APIs combined, is also somewhat of an engine (OpenGL ES 2.0) on it's own.
    Pash wrote:
    but I think that to deploy to IOS devices I would still need a MAC (as far as I understand from testing the deployment options)
    Yeah for a proper workflow a Mac is really needed (+ the $99 per/year for the apple dev account+digital certs). Xcode, Apple's equivalent to Visual Studio, alone is enough reason. I got a cheap $500 Mac Mini and VNC to it (hooked to TV to serve as media center). Some day I'll earn back that investment icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Thanks Johan. Great advice with the mini MAC. Your portfolio link is awesome!! Do you work part time or full time on this?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey! So tell us more about your PowerShell classes!
  • Options
    Hey Rob!!! Good to hear from you.

Well, I was asked to provide internal workshops for our staff by the management. As many of our engineers are offsite in central london (within square mile) I had to make them in the evening. I managed to teach this in an introductory workshop of 1.5 hr time frame:-

- PowerShell background etc. I decided to create a diagram that somehow interlinked powershell with .......bill gates, steve jobs, sergey brin, jack dorsey, mark zuckerberg and of course dennis ritchie/bell labs, its very loose but a bit of fun :)

- Covered basic OOP concepts and the .NET framework. Didnt go into detail about clr and how powershell works at architecture level because its only an introduction.

- Covered why to use and why not to use it.

- Covered cmdlets, arrays, variables, standard functions, aliases and piping. Created some WMI and .net examples to lab up with the engineers.

I had so much more I wanted to cover but fitting that into 1.5 hrs would be impossible. I am finalizing a document for them to use if they need to but the feedback has been very good so far.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Nice to see you back! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Your portfolio link is awesome!! Do you work part time or full time on this?
    Thanks :) It's an accumulation of mostly unfinished projects/demos/prototypes I worked on on and off over the past 4 years. So it's basically a "part time hobby", allowing me to combine and sharpen several of my skills/interests (3D Studio Max, programming, game dev). I already have a hobby-turned-job but need to make a living ("and then some" if possible) at the same time so I might stop with starting new projects of my own and freelance a bit - or actually finish one of my own that sells :)
  • Options
    @Webmaster:

This is great inspiration. I guess I will need to pull my finger out and up my efforts some! I am normally fuzzyheaded after work and it is so hard to sit down and do stuff in the evenings.

Thanks all!

Pash
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Add another 'oldtimer' coming out of the dark. I lurk more than post anymore... icon_cool.gif

Glad to see some of the old gang is still around. I was getting worried icon_wink.gif.

@Pash, it's good to see you're doing well and what you want to do.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Hey Pash,

WB, thought you dropped off the Earth. :)

I understand what you mean by busy. I've been crazy busy at work lately and so I haven't been able to spend as much time on here as I'd like.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Look at all these old geezers coming out of the woodwork! icon_lol.gif

Great to see you're still alive and kicking, Pash. Good to see you're hanging around as well, snadam.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Hey old timers indeed!

Very good to see old faces still around :)
  • Options
    I guess I will need to pull my finger out and up my efforts some! I am normally fuzzyheaded after work and it is so hard to sit down and do stuff in the evenings.
    That's what late night coding sessions with lots of coffee are for, just not too many in a row :) Although something I learned for writing applies for coding as well if you replace "write" with "code", it's more important to write often and regularly than write for extended periods of time. Most projects on the list reuse code from previous projects or just quick tests, things like path finding, 2D/3D render functions, collision detection, (game) objects/classes, but also small stuff/blocks of code, so combined it's far less work than all projects separately.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote: »
    That's what late night coding sessions with lots of coffee are for, just not too many in a row :) Although something I learned for writing applies for coding as well if you replace "write" with "code", it's more important to write often and regularly than write for extended periods of time. Most projects on the list reuse code from previous projects or just quick tests, things like path finding, 2D/3D render functions, collision detection, (game) objects/classes, but also small stuff/blocks of code, so combined it's far less work than all projects separately.

Thanks Johan. This advice helps me a great deal.