Options

Anyone develop in MS Access?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I realize a lot of people dislike MS Access, but the company I work for offers 10+ courses that cover the whole toolset. I have signed up for the course and so far it's been a lot of fun and informative.

Are there jobs out there for Access developers?

Right now I provide support for Access an know it pretty well, but these courses really fill in a lot of knowledge gaps.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you'll probably find a lot of small business might use it for homegrown applications. Other then that, I doubt there is a whole lot out there.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply

But it's so dang fun and powerful. I really enjoy it and it works a lot better than Excel in some areas.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used Access once as a SQL Server front-end to quickly modify a DB that had gotten f'ed up by a colleague who exceeded his abilities (to be polite about it.) This was in the beginning of my time as a DBA and I have since been able to do the same thing using T-SQL. But Access provided me a quick and dirty way to deal with this colleague's problems.

Personally, if I'm a small shop that couldn't afford SQL Server or Oracle, and my DB is tiny (or the size of what would exist in MS Access), then I'm going with mySQL. Much cheaper than Access (free!) and I get a very nice RDMBS as opposed to a flat DB.
  • Options
    @ERP

I just thought for BA or analyst roles it would be benefical to have this knowledge. Do you think it can help you get into a database role having extensive Access knowledge?
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE

Depends. Do you use the advanced functions of Access to tie into RDMBS databases? I've mostly seen folks use Access (if it is used at all) as a front-end to a real database. OR...if the database is tiny enough, a developer will utilize mySQL instead and just program a front-end for data-input.

Having said this, I wouldn't discredit Access knowledge, but at the same time, I would find the more advanced utilization of Access to be more useful.
  • Options
    Right now I make sure the tables are normalized to at least 3rd normal form. I also create forms, queries, tables, reports, etc. Basically all the objects available in Access. I am moving into VBA slowly but surely. Starting with smaller subs and function procedures.

BTW thanks for the information. Most welcomed from a DBA :)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you might be able to find a niche in consulting for firms moving from Access to another database. You get to a point where Access is just too slow and have to move to something else. Bam, consulting dollars baby!

Dice:

access microsoft Jobs at Dice.com
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My experience has mostly been with MySQL or Oracle. Access would most likely be seen at small businesses that can't support regular, expert-level pay. However, the bit you said about normalization is great! That would set you apart from folks who learned to use relational databases without bothering to learn the theory. And yes, those exist!
  • Options
    That would set you apart from folks who learned to use relational databases without bothering to learn the theory. And yes, those exist!

They sure do...I'm one of them! :D

[I have since picked up a book or two on the subject... ;) ]
  • Options
    I've taken 3 SQL and ERD classes at the community college. They taught me how to build tables, joins, indexes, views, stored procedures, triggers, unions, and a host of other related items to SQL. I understand the theory, I had a 16 week class that was nothing but theory, so that part I have down and then some. I also took another course that was nothing but business and data modeling. Taking a business process diagram and transform it into a SQL ERD for the developer to build off of.

I'm just trying to use my skills to their fullest.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you seen Access Services in SharePoint 2010 Enterprise?
  • Options
    No I have not Robert. Please do tell or link! :)

We want to develop a knowledge base, which iteration 1 is complete and functional via Access 2007. But we are wanting our processes to be a little more lean so we either want to leverage Remedy, if we can get buy in or come up with something a little more robust and versitile. Access is the only toolset we have at our disposal right now, but we do have a SharePoint site that I am admin of. I'm your basic user with SharePoint though, so whatever it is I am going to have to be able to pick it up quickly.