Options

Setting up a profile partition

w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
Does anyone know how to configure Windows (2000 or XP) to automatically create profiles on another partition than C?

For example, at my work the Documents and Settings folder is on the D drive and when new users log on, Windows knows to create a new profile there.

I know how to copy profiles to different locations and how to set up roaming profiles, etc. but this actually seems more complicated because it happens automatically.

Comments

• Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    I think what you're asking for is going to be more trouble then it's worth. If your company is using this as their desktop, they probably have it built into a an image, and they just have to push it out. Do a search in the registry for c:\documents and settings. You'll find that you will have to edit multiple key's for this change to take effect. If it is an issue of the customer saving too much data in their profile, simply create them a home directory, setup that path in their account on either User Manager or Active Directory. Once they have logged back on and have a mapped drive to their home directory, change the path pointing in My Documents from their local profile on the hard drive to their home directory. This will free up tons of space!
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Why do you want profiles to be created on a diff partion other than the default. It seems like with ms right now if its not broken why fix it. I would suggest you do a search on ms website for a KB if it can be done. Im certain no one is aware of that.
    What next?
  • Options
    w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    jmc724 wrote:
    Why do you want profiles to be created on a diff partion other than the default.

This separates user data from system data which allows me to manage and backup my partitions differently. Plus, it provides fault tolerance; If something happens to C, I still have my user data.
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    You can redirect your 'My Documents' folder to another location, and if you're in a Domain environment you can redirect it to a file server and use roaming profiles.

Don't know how to change the default 'Documents and Settings' folder though.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lookup MS article 236621: Cannot move or rename the Documents and Settings folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236621/EN-US/

It tells you how to move it.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Here's the deal:

As we all know on a client/server operation, you have a file server that stores docs ie home directory. Why should users store docs on local my documents, force users to use file server share.

Alternate, redirect my documents to a file share, redirect mailbox store to file server, backup on pertinent folders in documents and settings...restore when needed.

Then you dont need to worry about C drive crashing or anything else.

You are the systems admin, you need your users to follows through regardless of what.

Thats my 2 7/8 cents.
    What next?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    The only way I have done this is to install Windows on a partition other than C:. For example, I have a home server that uses G: as the Windows partition rather then C:. The only problem with this I've found are programs that are hard-coded to expect the Windows root folder to be on C:. All programs should use a Win32 call to get the location of the Windows and System23 folders, not expect them to be in the same place on every machine.

If you are merely interested in fault tolerance rather than security, I would suggest just mirroring 'Documents and Settings' to another partition rather than actually moving it.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I do this all the time (basically using the method described by the kb article referenced by ajs1976.) Do be careful and heed jdmurry's words, because this can cause you some headaches. Two of my clients have risk assessment and prevention policies that actually require this. Otherwise, I probably would've never bothered with it. Using group policy for folder re-direction is a much better option when feasible.