Options

Criticize my resume please

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
Would you give this person (me) a networking internship or job based on this resume? P.S. Please be as honest and strict as possible.Attachment not found.

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Took a quick look. There a few grammatical errors.
    Adapt should be Adapts
    Work well with others should be Works well with others
    the "s" in Computer science should be capitalized

In the Networking: section you should be more specific about what you can do. Form reading that I don't know if you can configure NAT rules, configure firewall policies, properly cable a switch etc.

In the following sections you list a number of platforms and devices without saying what you can do with them. From reading that I don't know if you have just heard of them, or if by listing server 2008 you know how to deploy folder redirection GPO's, understand Active Directory replication, etc.

Your resume is a sales pitch, if you can accurately and honestly depict what you can do, I'm more likely to buy. I thought your experience sections were better, but could also use more detail.
  • Options
    Ok here is the updated version. Do you think i should mention that i am fluent in English and Spanish?
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    honestly I dont see what is the point of a summary/objectives, etc.. in a resume I feel like that is put in the cover letter IMO

> cut it down to one page.
    > format it so it looks nicer. maybe lines to separate the sections (tons of templates you could use.)
    > summaries for the positions that you have listed
    > the Networking section is pretty big, if i where an employer I wouldn't want to read that huge block of words. clear and simple
    "Networking: Solid understanding of Cisco IOS routers and switches, including single-area OSPF, RIPv1/v2, EIGRP, Vlan and subnetting."

this is my resume section for networking clear and easy to read.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think a summary is a great thing to have, but it should concisely convey your career level. This summary is not bad, but it's fairly generic. I want to read it and know your career level.

You don't need your address on your resume, period. I don't know how anyone gets this idea, but's simply wasted text and a waste of the reader's time. Your address isn't relevant to your qualifications. Name, phone number, e-mail address are all that should be at the top.

Your skills section is too wordy. If you have a skills section at all, it should not be in a sentence format or anything close to it.

Your job experience descriptions should be done more or less in this format:
    Company | Date
    Title
    2-4 sentence summary of responsibilities and description.
    1-5 bullets of significant or noteworthy accomplishment

The summary means I don't have to guess what you did based on your bullets, and the bullets show me that you brought real value by exceeding expectations or doing something especially beneficial to the organization. Ideally, you should try to capture your skills in the job summaries and bullet points. That might not be feasible given entirely desktop support/PC tech experience, so clean up the skills if you can't convey them in your experience.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    matt333 wrote: »
    honestly I dont see what is the point of a summary/objectives, etc.. in a resume I feel like that is put in the cover letter IMO
    I have a summary that's explicit about jobs I will and will not accept. I don't see much point in his summary either. It feels fluffy. Blah blah blah I'm special-good blah blah blah. No specifics.

Look, if we're hiring, we want to know things such as--
    (1) experience, (2) education, (3) certifications, (4) personality.
    Get to the point.Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT)

Good. At the top. I normally only pick CCNAs, but it's enough that I would read on. :)

New York University, New York, NY
    A.S. Computer Science, June 2011
    That sounds odd. I did a check on what your university offers--

Associate's Degrees:
    •A.A.S. in Business
    •A.A.S. in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
    •A.A.S. in Health Administration
    •A.A.S in Information Systems Management
    •A.A. in Liberal Arts

This would probably be the end of my consideration of your resume. Your school apparently does not offer what you advertise. That would be somewhat concerning, though there might be an explanation.

Are skills what you imagine you could do? "Able to install, operate and troubleshoot a small enterprise branch network using Cisco routers and switches." I'd put your experience first. That's what people will take seriously. In skills, cut it way down. Not so much texty-texty.
  • Options
    That is a sample resume. I dont go to NYU. Also, i dont have any networking experience thats why i put it in the bottom. Also, should i leave my skills section at like it was on my original resume?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FYI, your original says "Invalid Attachment"when I click on it. I can only see your updated resume.
  • Options
    a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sizeon wrote: »
    Ok here is the updated version. Do you think i should mention that i am fluent in English and Spanish?

Yes, adding any additional languages you are fluent on is always a + especially if you're looking into a position dealing with customers. Are you involved in any affiliations, clubs, weekend warrior sports leagues? Adding a little personality never hurts.
  • Options
    rriker82rriker82 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's not bad. My resume is similiar in fashion. I put more emphasis on what I'm studying for since I'm still a student. I would encourage emphasis on continuing education i.e. certs your studying for, additional classes towards a BS. What do you want to accomplish with the education. Alot of what you described in your networking skills go beyond the CCENT, but your current skill level based on cert is less than that. I would put in that your studying for the CCNA. What do you like to do outside of work, movies, family fun. I came from the logistics industry, I put a past job in there so it would have different experiences besides just computers.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure if this part is part of the "fake" format for the resume but Windows 7 and Snow Leopard both came out after May 2009 and Office 2010 came out the following year. Just saying anyone knowing would write off anything your resume says after seeing that.

With that I would remove summary and seperate out the skills section so it doesn't look like a wall of text. Also put it 1st followed by education and certs since you don't have much there. Under networking in the skills section I'd remove from understands concepts ... to the end of that section. You have a CCENT if you didn't know it then you wouldn't have the cert. Also take out the able to troubleshoot and configure from the skills. Just list what you know ie Windows XP, Vista, 7, OSX ... etc. Also what happened during the 14 month gap in employment?

To answer your question about a job/internship ... Most likely not in networking. A CCENT and AS degree with 3 years in desktop with a 14 month gap between the 2 jobs and 9 months from the last job most network/systems admins I know will not let you touch anything meaningful in their NOC. You would be better off getting back into IT then focusing on finishing the CCNA then looking for a networking job. You are competing against people with more years and more certs and some of those people are finishing BS degrees now.