Options

How to install an RJ-45 connector on C5 cable wit Crimp tool

kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok so this is not exactly a question that might appear on the exam but
is important to know in real life networking situation. I've never done it but i want to learn how to install an RJ-45 connector on CAT5 cable using a Crimp tool so my question is can anyone here direct me to a website with a tutorial video or better yet show me how it's done. If anyone of you guys live in NYC and can spare a few mins of your time I would really appreciate it. You will be compensated with lunch, beer and good karma. icon_smile.gif

kaj

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    *****Whacked****** icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    kadshah wrote:
    Ok so this is not exactly a question that might appear on the exam but
    is important to know in real life networking situation. I've never done it but i want to learn how to install an RJ-45 connector on CAT5 cable using a Crimp tool so my question is can anyone here direct me to a website with a tutorial video or better yet show me how it's done. If anyone of you guys live in NYC and can spare a few mins of your time I would really appreciate it. You will be compensated with lunch, beer and good karma. icon_smile.gif

kaj

http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/pdf/crimping.pdf
    This link will show you. Need adobe though.

& another.

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable8.htm

For beer I would like a " Samuel Jackson" icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    thanks buddy.

kaj
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Good explanation, but be aware that the pinout is the 568A pinout, and the most common one for data networks in my experience is the 568B.

The technique is the same, but the green and orange wires are exchanged, so they go white-orange, orange, white-green, blue, white-blue, green, white-brown, brown.

I have found that to be the most common pinout, and the one usually used on wall jacks, although Lucent jacks are marked for both. If you ever do a cable that is, say male in the wiring closet, and female on the other end, make sure the pinouts match.

If you want to practice, Radio Shack (and normaly the Home Depot) sells home grade crimpers for around 5-25 dollars, along with selling Cat5 cable and plugs.

HTH

Peter
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    i've noticed that crimper tools range anywhere from $13-80 bucks
    will an inexpensive tool to the job? Is it just a matter of more bells and ...?
    kaj
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    yup.... 568B is the most common. The only time I have wired 568A is making a crossover (swapping 1,3 and 2,6). A on one side B on another.

An area that many people mess up is...not getting the wires all the way to the end of the slots. This causes a bad connection when crimped.

If you do buy a crimper to practice with, don't just check the cables visually....plug them into a pc and a hub or switch to make sure you get a link light. Practice making straight throughs (568B), crossovers, and rollovers. I have been on sites late at night, with no stores open....needing a certain type of cable. This is a skill that can really help.

Let me know if you get a bunch of them that test ok....you can send them to me for my rack. icon_wink.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
  • Options
    forgot to ask what's the difference between stranded and solid cable?
    I'm getting ready to buy bulk cable trying to figure out which of the two to get? Which is easier to work with?
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    I just did this today for the first time following the direction from this website! Please check this out
    http://www.xmission.com/~comphope/issues/ch000639.htm

This is the kit I got and everything works fine! I work at best buy so i got the kit really cheap. I would also recommend stripping pliers to add with your kit. But other than that...Everything rocks!
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6843268&type=product&id=1093467659846
  • Options
  • Options
    ziggyziggy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work for a telecom provider as a data services installer and build a lot of these from week to week.

A couple of points to remember when buying material and mating things together

As someone pointed out, you can buy stranded or solid copper CAT5-UTP cable.

You can ALSO buy RJ-45 ends that are specifically made for either stranded or solid wire. So make sure you buy the correct end for the cable you use.

:) I definitely recommend going with solid wire CAT-5, a lot less headaches.

Also when buying the CAT-5, pull a little out of the box and take a peek at the insulation on the individual paired wires. Some of the cheaper stuff out there does not have a colour tracer on the white insulated wire to match the colour portion of the paired wire. A real pain icon_sad.gif when you split your pair.
  • Options
    Here's what i brought over the weekend , Ratcheting crimper/cutter/stripper all in 1 tool, ($34) I also brought stranded ($20) instead of solid 250" roll guess i'll have to put up with the headaches didn't read your post until today and CAT5 cable ends with strain relief 100-piece kit ($20)but it doesn't say for which type of cable stranded or solid i hope i got the right kind. Next time i'll get the solid for sure.

peace smiles,

kaj