A doubt with collision and broadcast domains between two routers

abcdgbabcdgb Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI! I know the meanings of collision domain and broadcast domain and normally how to identify them but when it comes to a simple connection between two routers (serial and ethernet) without any other devices between them I get a little confused. I think in that kind of connection there is a collision domain but not a broadcast domain because there is not a device that can generate a broadcast. Am I right or wrong? and why?

Comments

• MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    HI! If you knew the meanings of collision and broadcast domains.. and how to "normally" identify them (as opposed to abnormal identification? lol), then you would have no problem here. I think with some more reading/thinking you'll get it. Don't mean to be rude, but saw another post you had looking for answers to a class final you have. But you won't gain anything if we just tell you. I'll try to give you some clues though!

Ethernet interfaces generate broadcasts when they send ARP requests. Switches with default VLAN configuration will forward these layer 2 broadcasts out all ports. When these layer 2 broadcasts hit a Router interface, they're at the end of their road. However, routers connected with Ethernet could ARP for the other side, even though there's only one other side, correct?

With collision domains, think hubs. Read a little about half duplex and full duplex. Also read about the purpose of CSMA/CD and if it's needed much anymore. This has to do with switching technology as opposed to hubs (not to be confused with CSMA/CA, which is very important).
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well-said, MrBrian. I do believe you gave him all the tools without directly giving the answer.

(The tools, of course, are much more important to exam and career success!)
  • abcdgbabcdgb Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MrBrian wrote: »
    HI! If you knew the meanings of collision and broadcast domains.. and how to "normally" identify them (as opposed to abnormal identification? lol)
    Thanks for the joke, I need to improve my english, I guess I didn't express myself well.
    MrBrian wrote: »
    Don't mean to be rude, but saw another post you had looking for answers to a class final you have. But you won't gain anything if we just tell you. I'll try to give you some clues though!
    I don't bother you give me clues for what I need, it is actually very good as NV says. The issue is when people missunderstood what I posted. I didn't try someone do my homework, that's why I didn't give too much information of the network. I just made a straight question about one topic of many related to my homework and not all of it.
  • ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    If you can be a little more specific, I'll see if I can help. People get all high and mighty around here.

I found this image online. Maybe it will help explain (visually) the broadcast domain between the networks and between the 2 routers.