Options

USMT and FAST Question

goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
All the USMT and FAST tools mention Dial Up Settings.

Anyone know if "Dial Up" settings also means TCP/IP configurations in case I might have specific default subs, gateways and static information I want to migrate?

PS: Might as well sneak another question in. WHat the heck is a volume mount point? Im going to look for it in the technotes. Maybe it can put it in "Im a really stupid Floridian who cant vote right" terms.

Comments

• Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    TCP/IP settings are not transferred with either migration tool that I have ever seen or read about. A voume mount point aka mounted volume is a way to create more hard drive space on a near empty volume or just be able to link some extra space up to an already created "lettered" volume. The volume has to be NTFS and the mounted volume can be any file system that XP uses. You must mount the volume into an empty folder. If the folder is not empty, just backup its contents to another location and then create the mounted volume and then copy all the files back. The mounted volume will not have its own drive letter.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help wirerat but im looking like a deer in headlights. Ive never seen the option to 'create' a mount point, nor heard of applications using it. I better crack open my Sybex book. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    You can create mounted voluimes through the use of a command line utility "mountvol" or you can use the "Computer Management" or "Disk Management" MMC Snap-in's. Best to know both methods for any certification tests.