after which of the following would you flas the BIOS program
adding memory
upgrading cpu resources
replacing system board
changing boot squence

Comments

• Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I would say replacing system board, someone correct me if I'm wrong icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    I would say the same thing!
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    <EOM>
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    honda wrote:
    adding memory
    upgrading cpu resources
    replacing system board
    changing boot squence

Boot sequence should not require any flash, as the choices are predetermined and you select the order....Unless your MOBO MFG has added a device to the list such as USB boot option.

Adding RAM and Upgrade CPU, again, unless the MFG has made changes and you wish to take advantage of those changes, there is little likelihood to flash the bios to perform a simple upgarde there.

Replacing a board. Personally, I do not flash bios unless it is impertive for the system to function. Or in a case whereby we need to keep ALL the clients boxes identical and 100% up-to-date due to a software package they use (so all hardware/firmware is updated frequently), but from your choices above, replacing (installing a new board) seems to be the best choice.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    KatanaSamKatanaSam Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    honda wrote:
    adding memory
    upgrading cpu resources
    replacing system board
    changing boot squence

Well the wording of some of these answers seems a bit weird. 'CPU resources' ??? Whats that... resources they CPU uses or the CPU itself...???

Assuming they mean a CPU upgrade I would say 'upgrading cpu resources' is the answer. Why? Because its quite common to have to flash older boards to support newer CPUs (and hard drives). Replacing a system board seems to be a popular answer with most here but in my experience that's typically a time when you are moving into a new MOBO and how often do you really need to flash the bios on a brand new board? Not often in my experience. Although I know many PC dealers claim they do it as a regular part of putting a new PC into service I doubt its really bothered with very often.
  • Options
    Jedi2155Jedi2155 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Although the correct answer might be the system board, I personally think it should be before the CPU. An example of this might be someone who has a old motherboard with a i845PE chipset and adding a newer generation Celeron (non-prescott), the motherboard would need a newer bios to recognize the CPU microcode on the chip to give it the proper multipliers.
    xjedi2155.png