RHCSA Study time?

clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've started working from the Michael Jang book and working on self-study trying to do a couple of hours work every day. I'm enjoying learning new things from it even though I've been using Linux in its various forms for several years but now I'm trying to manoeuvre myself into a position where I can move into Linux admin full-time rather than my current role where I support a predominantly Windows server-base with a few Linux (mainly Debian) boxes that I have introduced myself.

Ramble over, my question is, how much study time is enough? I want to take the exam in the next few months but want to pass it first time due to the expense which will be coming from my own pocket. Is 2 hours a day enough? I'm a bit worried about the practical format of the exam being different to the usual multiple choice exams that I've experienced with my LPI and Comptia exams in the past.

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Take enough time to where you can go through all the objectives by yourself, without looking at your notes. Like you said, it's a performance based exam, there's no multiple choice question to save you. Two months sounds good, but there's no need to rush..take your time to absorb the material and actually learn it.

If you search the term "RHCSA" on indeed.com, you will barely get any hits..most Linux jobs that require a certification list the RHCE certification. Just keep that in mind.
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've been browsing Linux jobs and RHCE does seem to be the prerequisite mainly. I'm hoping to pass this exam and then immediately go straight onto working towards RHCE afterwards but that's a hill to climb when I've got few Red Hat based systems to work on in the daytime. I was hoping to use the RHCSA as a "foot in the door" and get a Junior Sysadmin role if possible where I will be able to use my Linux skills more that I am able to currently. It also appears though that if I want to get in to Linux administration I'm going to have to move for a job because they are quite few and far between in the UK Midlands. I hope my wife is understanding enough to move at some point :)
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's difficult to give an estimate on hours you need to put in.

You should take a look at the prep guide which lists the topics in good detail. Then think of task for each topic that you couldn't do from the top of your head. Manpages are available but you don't have the time to look everything up. And you need to know what to look for.

Set up a machine, play with it, break it, fix it, then play some more. Then you might be ready. Good luck :)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP