Options

Failed ICND1 with 799 :(

Witte200Witte200 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys.

Unfortunately I failed my ICND1 Exam this morning with 799 (minimum score 804) so this realy sucks!

Performance in each section:

Describe the operation of data networks
86%

Implement a small switched network
50%

Implement an IP adressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements for a small branch office
60%

Implement a small routed network
80%

Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN
100%

Identify security threats to a network and general methods to mitigate those threats
100%

Implement And verify WAN links
50%

The problem was, I think, I only used CBT nuggets to study for the exam, and my background from my Bachelor education. And next time I better get a detailed book.

But my question was. I had +45Min left. So maybe I should try the CCNA exam instead of the ICND1 exam again??
Any Advice? Should I take the ICND1 exam again? Or take the risk that I had a lot of time left and go for the CCNA Exam (with a proper book off course)?

Thanks in advance for the replies and sorry for my, not to good, english :s

Greetings

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's obviously up to you, but I wouldn't take a more difficult test after failing the easier one. And yes, definitely get a book.
  • Options
    No, maybe you are right.
    I know I can check my final result, but can I check witch questions I answered incorrectly?
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    With the basic knowledge that you already have, I would either pick up the book and go through it, or pick up some Boson practice exams. I find that you can understand the material and still miss questions due to the wording and format of the questions. Going through a few hundred practice questions can fix that.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    yes get a book and study over it especially in the weak areas that you scored on.
  • Options
    Ok, Thanks for the replies guys!
    I have the "Cisco Press Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices Part 1 (ICND1) 2nd" book in PDF format (from a college)
    Or should I need Lammle's book as well?
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    2nd edition should be fine, better than just using cbt videos only...
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    Based on your score breakdown.....and this is only *my* opinion.... it seems like you have the theory solid but don't have the hands-on down pat. So my recommendation would be to get one of the following:

1. Packet Tracer
    2. Odom's Network Simulator
    3. Real Gear - CCNA Lab

and get the hands on.

Also, with a 60% in IP addressing it would appear that you are not solid on subnetting so I would recommend getting better in that area as well. Practice here:

subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
    Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A score of 60% in the Implement an IP adressing scheme and IP services sections leads me to believe that you haven't mastered subnetting. That is the most important skill to master for the CCNA, especially ICND1. You need to be able to subnet fast and in your head. You should be able to look at a question, and pretty much straight away in your head have a general idea of the answer. If you can subnet in your head in 15 seconds or less, you should be on a winner. It takes practice to be able to do this. This involves doing heaps of excercises and WRITING IT ALL DOWN ON PAPER. EVERYTHING. Bit by bit. That way it sticks in your brain. I spent around 3 weeks just on subnetting alone. After you do this for a while, it will just become like second nature and you just do it in your head.

Another thing is, you need to do A LOT of labs/configs setting up basic networks with subnetting, routers and switches, and basic RIP routing. The more labs you do, the easier it becomes.

Grab a copy of packet tracer and as mentioned above 'get the hands on'
  • Options
    Yes indeed. Its strange though. I thought Sub netting and the labs went good on the exam, until I got my results.
    Maybe I went trough them to fast?