Options

Various questions regarding Windows 2008 server setup and MCITP certificate

bambinoubambinou Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□

Hi Everyone,

I have started the course on
active directory, the problem I find is that I haven't got the bigger picture of
what windows server 2008 does as I cannot find a video where someone explains
exactly what this is for in simple words. Also, how likely are you to find a job with an MCITP certificate? Is it good to have or not worth passing(it is expensive..), thanks!

With my current understanding, I believe windows server 2008:

-Let you as an admin secure certain area of a network by presenting a login page to certain users.
-Help you manage OS updates from one single server(Domain controller)
-Can initiate remote desktop on other user's pc who are part of the network.

Now here are a few questions I would like to have answered if any of you is familiar
with windows 2008 please.

1)When you create a domain controller, it is like creating a domain name and have multiple computers accessing this domain name with different permissions. Am I correct?

2)Can you create multiple Domain controllers under the master server?

3)Each time you create a domain controller, do you have to set up a different DNS?

4)Regarding DNS, If I have a router at home that is plugged to the internet, I create one
main server with windows 2008 r2, I then create a domain controller on this server. I have another pc, can I then tell the other pc not to access the internet anymore form the router but instead use the internet network of the main server ?

5)How hard is it to really understand win 2008? Does it takes years?

Thank you,

Ben

Comments

• Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    -Let you as an admin secure certain area of a network by presenting a login page to certain users.
    This doesn’t really require a domain controller.

-Help you manage OS updates from one single server(Domain controller)
    You wouldn’t manage updates from the domain controller unless the server that the DC is installed has the WSUS role.

-Can initiate remote desktop on other user's pc who are part of the network.
    This doesn’t require a domain controller, you can RDP into another machine that’s not on the same domain as you.

1)When you create a domain controller, it is like creating a domain name and have multiple computers accessing this domain name with different permissions. Am I correct?
    - Yes, the main job of a domain controller is to handle authentication requests.

2)Can you create multiple Domain controllers under the master server?
    -
    I'm not sure what you mean by master server, but you can have multiple domain controllers in a single domain.

3)Each time you create a domain controller, do you have to set up a different DNS?
    -Not necessarily, whilst there a benefits of having the DNS server role on a domain controller it's not a requirement.

4)Regarding DNS, If I have a router at home that is plugged to the internet, I create one
    main server with windows 2008 r2, I then create a domain controller on this server. I have another pc, can I then tell the other pc not to access the internet anymore form the router but instead use the internet network of the main server ?

- Do you mean that you have the PC use the DC for DNS requests instead of your router, if so then yes, it possible. You can also have your PC share an internet connection with the DC using Internet connection sharing.

5)How hard is it to really understand win 2008? Does it takes years?
    -I can't really say, this depends entirely on the individual and your interest.

All in all I think you should start with the desktop exams if you are just starting out(70-680 is a good starting point), these should provide you with the background knowledge to understand server topics. Expenses with any exam will vary depending on what you already have available with you, personally I prefer to have atleast a good book and a machine to lab from(it doesn't have to be a high end machine).
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome to TE. First thing I have to ask is what your goal is. Any good plan starts with setting a goal. Do you just want to pass an exam to enhance your probability of getting a job? Do you want to really understand the technology? Once you set one or more goals then you can develop a plan to achieve them.

The heart of Windows Server 2008 is Active Directory. Once you understand this may have a clearer picture of the intelligence behind domains, forest, etc. A very good 10 min overview of Active Directory can be found here: What is Active Directory?. Grab a note pad, watch this and then go research specific concepts you didn't fully understand.
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    for the videos check cbtnuggets, trainsignal or itfreetraining on youtube.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the great replies. I am sorry for the delay in replying to the post but I have not been notified by email of the thread updates. I am a wen designer and mechanical engineer, where I live it is a bit hard to find a job at the moment but I have seen a few jobs asking for the MCITP certificate, I have no idea if this could paid well or not but I would like to pass it for 2 reasons:

1)I have built pcs for years, installed os and done some macro programming and web design, I think it is time for me to learn something which might be a little more useful in my CVs, I hope I am doing the right choice because it is not cheap to pass.

2)I am right now without a job and have plenty of time to learn something instead of turning around in circle in the house, I think this is actually the best time ever for me to crack on with courses. Any idea if a MCITP is good for starting a carrier in IT? I have also a few kids to feed and my past jobs did not pay enough to make me feel "happy" about life in general. When I see all my friends in IT, their salaries are always higher than people working as technicians in factories....so this is why I want to give it a try.

Thank you,

Bambinou
  • Options
    johnstegjohnsteg Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ICT is mouth watering as tasking as you could think of.but hey...you are not alone for so many had this confusion at the onset.But since you have a working experience in client OS,i guess i can assume you have good understanding of basic TCP/IP,and networking concept.My advice is start with 70-680,after which 642;then return to 640...,you will be suprised.take a look at trainsignal,cbtnugget or quickcert.well i use this three at once and they complement each other.
  • Options
    Thanks for that johnsteg,
    I believe you are right because I did start the 640 before 642 and was quiet confused. I am now half way on the 642, I feel quiet confident to redo the 640 now. About the 680, I am going to check it out and see what it is.

Thanks!

Bambinou