Options

Boson Sim / General CMD line Q for Cisco Devices

moviewithnotitlemoviewithnotitle Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I'm new here, been lurking for a while. Finally shooting for my CCNA within a few months...this site has been very helpful, chock full of info.

Question on the Boson NetSim for CCNA
In most of the Lab Sims, they use the example: Router1(config)# end

The "end" is the rub for me. I have always thought that "end" was just the means to get back to a Cisco device's beginning in the console. Is this true, or does "end" mean something specific when you are in (config) or (config-xyz) within the command line(Router/Switch/Other)?

I have always just used "exit" to back out of my commands. I only do this so that I can follow my in-bound-path and be sure I back out correctly, (it's just the way my brain works)

And info on "end" is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "exit" will only take you back one level, for example from (config-xyz) to (config). "end" will take you all the way from (config-xyz) to the exec prompt. Which is better depends on what you plan to do next.

R1#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    R1(config)#router isis
    R1(config-router)#exit
    R1(config)#exit
    R1#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    R1(config)#router isis
    R1(config-router)#end
    R1#
  • Options
    moviewithnotitlemoviewithnotitle Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks NetworkVeteran, that's exactly what I was thinking as well. I was just curious if the Boson Sim's were doing something different and it was something I needed to be aware of further.