Options

Good move or bad move?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
I like to think of this as a good move but want to hear your opinions, or read them (unless you want to post up an mp3 of yourself haha).

I just graduated in December with an associates degree in computer networking. I was ignorant and started applying to jobs everywhere wondering why I wasn't getting hits and came to this forum and did research. I found out why and the reasoning is because all I have is this associates degree and no experience/certs, with the exception of circuit city (I was a bench technician).

I saw that a job opened up a week ago for a network engineer and here was my thought process when I applied to it:

I know the network administrator. I've gotten a tour of the networking department with a very nice overview of what they do. Him and I are friendly, we even did a volunteer day at work for a non profit organization, and talked about server issues I was having during school.

I know for a fact that I will not get this job simply because of my lack of experience and certs, and I had that on my mind while applying. My reason for applying was because I know we have 1 network technician who will be going out for it, he would be silly not to, which means his position will open up afterward.

Mainly applied to this position to see how the administrator interviews and what he is looking for in an interviewee.

I picked up a network+ exam book and the cbt nuggets last week and plan on taking the exam either this weekend or next, either way I will have it by the time the network technician position opens up.
I know there is a chance this will blow up in my face and the technician doesn't go for it or doesn't get it but if you don't take a chance there is no chance at all.

Comments

• Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nothing wrong with getting in for an interview, if it goes that far. You'll get some experience interviewing and get a feel for what they'll ask for. If you don't get in for an interview, no harm no foul. Hell, people apply for jobs they aren't qualified for all the time. I wouldn't get your hopes up though. Still, since you've met the guy, it might put you on his radar for any entry level jobs you might be more ready for.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I forgot to mention that I have the interview on Monday, the 21st.

Like you said, my hopes aren't up at all. I know my chances are slim to none (hanging more on the none side, significantly), but I'm going to go in and lay everything out on the table for him. I would also be studying for my ccna instead but they mostly have HP switches so I think it's a better move to go vendor neutral.

According to a conversation we had, nobody in his department has any certs.mhe really wants very hard working people and I'm extremely hard working. I've excelled in the current position I'm in so fast it's unheard of. Ive been mentoring people as an SME in my position a year and a half after I started and they have been here for 10+ years in most cases.

We will see what happens. I'll document exactly how he interviews, exactly what kind of questions he asks as well.

Get my feet wet a little and hopefully the scenario plays out as stated in my original post.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You losing nothing by trying, especially since you already don't have the job. I have seen where people applied for a position and the company found they would be suited perfectly for another position within the company. So you could be right that by interviewing, you might be able to pick up that Tech spot if he moves up. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff