Options

why are most network/server issues fixed with a reboot???

2»

Comments

• Options
    tleade01tleade01 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work on PCs all the time. Seems to be the same way for me sometimes. I work at HP as a technical solutions rep and sometimes that is all you need to do is just restart the computer. As someone else mentioned, I believe most of the time it solves the issue and the rest of the time the issue comes back.
  • Options
    dmac17dmac17 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My company is always rebooting on a bi weekly schedule. They do updates and backups and usually in the morning time just before everyone is in.. Which has on occation led to some issues cause decreased productivity. I also support systems that are over 10 years old and it just seems better not to reboot for the increased hardware failure posibilities. There is just something bad about rebooting a windows 2000 server.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Actually, Citrix recommends a nightly reboot of servers running their software. Never could find out why, though I suspect it was because of hung sessions and the like. Way easier to just reboot them then to attempt to clear them, nothing worse then the "I can't get onto Citrix" at 8 am call. Then you track down the server, deny all logins, confirm they get onto a different server, and then wait for everyone to back off the thing so you can reboot. All while the IT manager at the company yells at you because she's down a server when they have 4 and are way below the threshold requiring 4. Also, on top of her not allowing you to reboot the servers nightly per the vendor ;) Oh IT how I loath thy and love thy at the same time!

This used to drive me nucking futs. Our problem wasn't Citrix, per se, but we had really, really old buggy software the the company refused to upgrade, mixed with 32-bit Windows 2003, and it was inevitable that memory leaks would render the system unusable. No troubleshooting to be done... but the solution was far too expensive.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    noobsrevengenoobsrevenge Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    healthyboy wrote: »
    yeah, ofcourse reboot is my last restore but what do you do if you cannot access da server???? After i reboot i always check da logs to see what was up

people let you touch their servers? o.O
  • Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    people let you touch their servers? o.O

what you mean?

isn't that the way to do it,

if you cannot access a router or a server and there is no other way of doing it and you tried everything and a reboot is the last resort isn't that what you are suppose to do?

after that you check the logs to see what caused it?

is this bad practice of troubleshooting?

what do you do noobsrevenge? smart guy?
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    healthyboy wrote: »
    what you mean?

isn't that the way to do it,

if you cannot access a router or a server and there is no other way of doing it and you tried everything and a reboot is the last resort isn't that what you are suppose to do?

after that you check the logs to see what caused it?

is this bad practice of troubleshooting?

what do you do noobsrevenge? smart guy?

I think what he's trying to say is that if your routinely rebooting servers/network equipment to fix issues, you shouldn't really be touching them.

I assume you're working for a relatively small company if this is acceptable. Where I work, if you're going to be rebooting anything in the middle of the day, you need approval from a whole slew of people. Heck, to failover from an primary node/firewall to the secondary, you need approval.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    The correct thing to do is fix the problem so it doesn't happen again. Rebooting your servers and network equipment over and over again is NOT productive or forward thinking. The majority of your work should be proactive, not reactive.

If I took that approach at my work I'd be fired.