Options

Anyone Here a Systems Analyst?

bmy78bmy78 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been reading about Systems Analysts and so far I like what I'm reading, though I'm still a bit confused about the role. The technical level seems to depend on the position held.

So systems analysts, could you describe what you do? Is it all UML and use-case scenarios or does it involve implementation and programming? How do systems analysts differ from system / network administrators? Am I comparing apples with oranges here? How's the stress level? Work hours? Case load?

I'm just trying to carve out a career path for myself. I'm planning on passing A+ & Network+ by the end of the summer and then either move on to either MS or Cisco certifications, depending what I'm going to be interested in. This seems more like a networking / systems admin role. In the medium term I might want to get a Master's degree. The nearby university has master's programs in "information systems," "business and information systems" and "IT Administration" I'm not sure which one would be a fit for me. I went to a graduate open house today, talked to the advisers of those programs as well as those with graduate certificates, and left with more questions than when I arrived.

So, in a nutshell, I'm just trying to determine the difference between systems analysts and network / systems administrators, and if there is overlap in some cases, or not. Which should I go for?

Thoughts?
2012 Goals: A+, Network+ by the end of the summer; one other certification before the New Year (haven't decided on MS or Cisco, or something else)

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    These terms haven't distinct meanings. They vary between organizations, sometimes even between departments within an organization. Systems analyst is actually the single most generic job title in IT. It can mean any variety of systems or network engineer, programmer, or business-centered analyst.

There are all sorts of roles in IT. They can all be fun and all make lots of money. Go after whichever program you think you'll get the most out of. Don't worry too much about these kinds of specifics.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My departmental title is "Analyst". I do pretty much whatever gets thrown at me! However, my primary job functions include SCCM administration, application/OS deployment, programming/scripting, and AD/Group Policy stuff.

I work for state/gov. My analyst position started at about 60k and will peak at about 71k in three years.

This particular job is very low stress and I enjoy it.

The main *technical* skill that got me this job were my ability to program/write scripts in relation to LDAP/ADSI.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    At my previous job, my official title was network systems analyst. I did a ton of sql, a ton; but that's how the employer designed the position. It'll vary everywhere.

Typically systems analysts are more on the programming side, sys/net admins are more on the support side.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Josh

That's pretty powerful man! My friend Kevin is writing LDAP for some manufacturing UNIX systems or so you can access them using LDAP. He is making some nice coin and doing alright.

Props on the gig!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The main *technical* skill that got me this job were my ability to program/write scripts in relation to LDAP/ADSI.

Vbscript or powershell? Or something else?
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Vbscript or powershell? Or something else?
    Vbscript, VB.NET, and Visual C# (using directory services library). They are all basically the same thing though :). For what it's worth, I don't use PowerShell that often.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    @ Josh

That's pretty powerful man! My friend Kevin is writing LDAP for some manufacturing UNIX systems or so you can access them using LDAP. He is making some nice coin and doing alright.

Props on the gig!
    Lol thanks, but I don't actually develop any LDAP related protocols, I just use it to perform administrative tasks. Sorry for the confusion icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with ptilsen

When I was initally hired that was my title "Systems Analyst". I was actually hired to be a resource for a specific product we were configuring for one of our systems. I really ended up doing alot of tasks in this role and did work that Business Analysts, QA, and Development work. I know all about gathering Business requirements for BRD/SRS docs to UML and business process documentation to doing application smoke and integration testing. Really got a chance to witness the whole SDLC.

In some companies, the Systems Analyst role is more of a senior position where you have been a developer and are more seeing what is needed from an architecture standpoint to suit the business needs.
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Xlusive

My friend Mike is a system analyst for some prioritary applications. He is usually working with the business users or the engineers on the backend. Running queries on the database and the hardware and checking error logs. He creates a lot of data dashboards for review to his boss and other parties who are interested. Troubleshoots problems and looks into enhancements and other product changes.
  • Options
    bmy78bmy78 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like its a diverse role. It also sounds pretty cool...

I attended a grad open house for NJIT last night. They have masters programs in info systems, business & info systems, and it admin, all of which sound pretty cool.

Just wondering if I should go for one of the masters programs...
    2012 Goals: A+, Network+ by the end of the summer; one other certification before the New Year (haven't decided on MS or Cisco, or something else)