Options

Military guy looking for some advice

subsooner711subsooner711 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking at possibly getting out of the military in about a year and a half, and I am trying to get an idea of job possibilites. The problem is I don't have a ton of IT experience. Right now I have Security+, and before my enlistment is up I am going to get CCNA, and 70-640. I am also working on my associates in MIS.

The schools that I've been through while in the military are a networking course, network security course, and an ISSM course. Good courses and all, but you don't get any kind of certification with them. The big problem is my job didn't revolve around IT. I was an electronics tech (radiomen), and dealt with communications. I did basic troubleshooting of computers, ping, tracert, telnet, etc... Beyond that there isn't a ton of IT experience.

I guess my question is am I going to be able to leverage my security clearance, certs, and military experience into something other than starting out at a help desk position? Not that there is anything wrong with being help desk, but I was hoping to avoid a big pay cut. I am not really dead set on going down any specific path. I have interest in both the network and system side of things.

Thanks ahead of time guys!

Comments

• Options
    IStudyCiscoIStudyCisco Member Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Prior military with a security clearance, military schools, and certs will have little problems getting a contractor position working on or near an installation. If you're open to continuing to work with the military you have the advantages of knowing how the military works, have already been vetted (clearance and honorable discharge), and an active clearance.

A year and a half out seems like a long time, but now is the time to start networking with the IT contractors you're working with. Talk to them about your wishes and plans. If you want to stay in place, there's a very good chance they can guide you through the process. A lot of the contractors have the added incentive of a cash bonus for bringing on new hires.

All services have a transition assistance program to help make the change to civilian life. Make sure you take advantage of it sooner rather than later. It's recommended you take the class a year out, and again within just prior to separating. They will give you advice on resumes, work attire, interviewing techniques and many other things you haven't had to think about while serving. Also most installations have job fairs from time to time. Start attending them to gauge what the companies are looking for. Many of the larger companies have openings all over the country, be sure to ask about them, so you're not limited to just your location.

The biggest thing is don't sell yourself short. Just because you don't have the particular certification they are looking for, you are used to adapting to new environments, following instructions, and working on your own to achieve objectives. Those so called soft skills are valued by any employer. The technical skills you learned as a radioman are valued as well. Use the time you have remaining on active duty to visit the the workcenters that interest you, ask questions, tag along, and get a feel for what they do. In short, network now for the job(s) you want later.

Most, if not all of the above applies if you choose to transition to a civilian environment as well. Job luck and fair winds and following seas.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    If contracting is what you're looking for, you have a chance if you start networking now (I started about 3 years before I got out, because I wanted to stay at this overseas location). A BS would be better, depending on where you work you should be able to get a good amount of it done before getting out (I finished mine just under a year after getting out, but the fact that I was near completed was a plus). WGU and Excelsior are the best bets IMO for transfer credits with your military training.

Overseas, even a help desk job, will pay well. Housing will be included, of course, and tax free (federal). If you're interested in living overseas for a while.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I ETS'd (74B/25B, just under 6 years active) almost 2 years ago and went straight into contracting (day I signed out on terminal).
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    rob2011rob2011 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I cannot offer you much advice you answer your question, however, I can tell you that you are not alone. I am getting out of the army in about 22 months and currently have CCNP, CCNA, and A+ with plans for SEC+ and CISSP before i get out. I also will finish my bachelors in MIS next spring. My advice is to try to get a bachelors degree instead. It is more beneficial and eventually you will need/want to have it over your current degree plans.
  • Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IStudy pretty much nailed it, and since you're a year and a half out you're in good shape to start working on things now. I'm prior military as well, but that was 13 years ago and a lot has changed. Definitely take advantage of VA assistance. Since you have a lot of time and have already finished your associates, you might consider using the time between now and then to finish a Bachelors as Valsacar suggested. I'm not familiar with WGU though alot of folks around here are. I'm currently going to CSU-Global to finish mine, and they have an accelerated program. It's very demanding time-wise, but you should be able to finish before you separate in a year and a half. Also, they give a nice discount to Veterans/active duty.
  • Options
    nxstevennxsteven Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looking at possibly getting out of the military in about a year and a half, and I am trying to get an idea of job possibilites. The problem is I don't have a ton of IT experience. Right now I have Security+, and before my enlistment is up I am going to get CCNA, and 70-640. I am also working on my associates in MIS.

The schools that I've been through while in the military are a networking course, network security course, and an ISSM course. Good courses and all, but you don't get any kind of certification with them. The big problem is my job didn't revolve around IT. I was an electronics tech (radiomen), and dealt with communications. I did basic troubleshooting of computers, ping, tracert, telnet, etc... Beyond that there isn't a ton of IT experience.

I guess my question is am I going to be able to leverage my security clearance, certs, and military experience into something other than starting out at a help desk position? Not that there is anything wrong with being help desk, but I was hoping to avoid a big pay cut. I am not really dead set on going down any specific path. I have interest in both the network and system side of things.

Thanks ahead of time guys!

Location will be huge. Stay near govt contract jobs and you'll be in for a pay day with those certs, working towards the degree, and especially the clearance. My friend was in the Navy, four years and out, he collected unemployment for about 4-5 months in NY and couldn't find a job in that time. He decided to move back to Maryland, where he was stationed, and the first job he landed was 65k/yr - no BS. That was with JUST his security clearance and four years in the Navy (Cryptology or something like that).

Believe he has a TS clearance though and that's what landed him the job. It wasn't until that time that he actually started studying IT related material - online college, CCNA, etc. Believe he holds a CCNA, the Cisco Security/Voice certs as well, maybe another, and is working on his degree. Brings in six figures at the moment, not even 30 years old.
  • Options
    subsooner711subsooner711 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I appreciate all of the comments and advice. The associates is eventually going to turn into a bachelors. I've already verified the classes I am taking at the 2 year school transfer over to the 4 year school I plan to attend.
  • Options
    neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    everyone has it covered, just came to say

boomer!
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you ever thought about the new army MOS 35Q, Cyber Network Warfare Analyst. It will be open this October if you wanted to expand on IT with a security focus, you will learn much.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Providing there are actual slots, money to train them, etc. I would have very low expectations given the drastic financial cuts to the military.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Providing there are actual slots, money to train them, etc. I would have very low expectations given the drastic financial cuts to the military.

That and the fact that the Army doesn't really know what it means... their "electronic warfare" MOS is all about IEDs...
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013