Too many Comptia certs?

2»

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I think hate is too strong of a word. I think a lot of us share our experiences and "foresight bias" because we don't want others to make the same mistakes we think we made. I definitely wouldn't want anyone to skip learning the basics but I wouldn't advise them to throw $1000 at certifications that state they understand the basics. A lot of people are struggling for money. I've seen other posts by the OP where he stated that he was working retail and that he was thinking about doing contract work on the side to make ends meet. My advice is based on my experience and what I know of the OP's financial situation. The CompTIA certifications won't usually get you a tier II help desk role but they might get you a tier I job just like the CCNA/MCITP might not land you a network engineer role, but it might get you started as a tier 2 tech or NOC position.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    I agree no need to throw money out, but at the same time it is hard to get in the field and in my opinion these certs are a way into the field. The problem is we are all prone to being lazy, most people will take that advice, say oh okay I should just go straight for my CCNA, and disregard everything between. For comptia certs the only thing you need to spend money is for the actually exam the internet has everything you need to pass.

But if you can get your CCNA right away go for it.

I try to get my hands on every cert that is relevant to what I do since money is not an issue since i get reimbursement from the VA.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    As long as there's people who believe that getting a vendor cert (with no experience at that) will equal a guarantee of a job, there will be people like me that will tell them otherwise.

You mean that my CCNA won't guarantee me a job as a network architect???? *sobs* ;)

I always enjoy reading your posts, erpadmin. I think I get an involuntary eye-roll response every time I see someone post about how they have their CCNA with no experience or degree and they're surprised when they can't get a job as a senior network engineer. People need to adjust their expectations and act accordingly.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Mstavridis wrote: »
    I agree no need to throw money out, but at the same time it is hard to get in the field and in my opinion these certs are a way into the field. The problem is we are all prone to being lazy, most people will take that advice, say oh okay I should just go straight for my CCNA, and disregard everything between.

I completely agree with you on this. I always try to place an emphasis on teaching yourself the basics before going for those mid-level exams. If people don't listen, well... it's going to be embarrassing on their first day of work when they can't even figure out how to install a PCI card. That kind of mentality is usually found in the same people that braindump.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree no need to throw money out, but at the same time it is hard to get in the field and in my opinion these certs are a way into the field. The problem is we are all prone to being lazy, most people will take that advice, say oh okay I should just go straight for my CCNA, and disregard everything between. For comptia certs the only thing you need to spend money is for the actually exam the internet has everything you need to pass.

But if you can get your CCNA right away go for it.

I try to get my hands on every cert that is relevant to what I do since money is not an issue since i get reimbursement from the VA.

The exam blueprints for CCENT & N+ covers same main topics. When I took ICND1, the exam was mostly about networking basics. If you're going to be a cisco/network guy, N+ really isn't worth it. If you're not going to be a cisco/network guy, it's hard to argue for N+ because it expires now.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    If people don't listen, well... it's going to be embarrassing on their first day of work when they can't even figure out how to install a PCI card. That kind of mentality is usually found in the same people that braindump.

Braindumpers make me laugh, they are the most arrogant people I have ever met. I worked with a guy who claimed he scored perfect on his ccna (employers could care less) I one day asked him to help me setup simple static routes for our outpatient center while i reconfigured our vpns from 3des to aes256 (I asked him to do this at first but he looked at me like i was speaking another language).Turns out he didn't even know how to enter privleged mode on the cli. I told this to our boss and he got fired for a fraudulent resume, since he said he had experience with routers. (also made i look like he cheated on his CCNA)

Its hard to remember every command for everything everytime, but come on at least understand something+concepts. From there you can figure the rest out.

What got under my skin was how he said he new so much and was so arrogant about it.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slightly off topic (but dammit its my thread!) anyone know whats happened with the comptia vouchers you could get from ebay?

ICND1 has some router and CDP router sims that you really need to know.
    dave330i wrote: »
    The exam blueprints for CCENT & N+ covers same main topics. When I took ICND1, the exam was mostly about networking basics. If you're going to be a cisco/network guy, N+ really isn't worth it. If you're not going to be a cisco/network guy, it's hard to argue for N+ because it expires now.

some network jobs require N+ in conjunction with a CCNA
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think I get an involuntary eye-roll response every time I see someone post about how they have their CCNA with no experience or degree and they're surprised when they can't get a job as a senior network engineer. People need to adjust their expectations and act accordingly.

You are definitely a wise one...you read exactly what I meant. :) I too give eye-rolls, laughs, and sometimes I sigh when I see the same responses...

FWIW, I enjoy reading your posts as well...they're insightful as well as entertaining.
    We've had people interview at my old work place who claimed that they had their CCNA/CCNP but when faced with SIMPLE technical questions in the interview ("What is PAT and when would you use it? How would you set the console password on a router?"), they get a blank look on their face. It makes me wonder if those people actually are looking for a job or just looking to collect unemployment when they are inevitably fired.

A few years ago, I was working on my MCSE exams and I mentioned it to a friend who has been working tier I tech support for almost a decade. He brought up that he already had his MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CompTIAs, etc (This should have been my first clue when he listed his alphabet soup). I asked him what study materials he used for the MCSE and his response was "Oh, I just found the questions online and looked up the answers. It was better than reading the whole book and it's not like I didn't learn the material." I lost all professional respect for him that day. I guess that's why after 10 years, he's still a tier I computer janitor.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Kai123 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic (but dammit its my thread!) anyone know whats happened with the comptia vouchers you could get from ebay?

ICND1 has some router and CDP router sims that you really need to know.

Not sure about the ebay vouchers, but check out this site: Pearson VUE Test vouchers from TechExams - GetCertify4Less.com

Every month or two, they have clearance CompTIA vouchers that are set to expire in a month or less. I bought all my CompTIA vouchers through that site and it's linked on the TechExams site.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Surprised he hasn't been blacklisted from IT. Or maybe he has and all he can get is Tier I
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    some network jobs require N+ in conjunction with a CCNA

That would be 1 of the main reasons for getting it (maybe the only reason) for a network guy it hence me stating "N+ really isn't worth it." vs. "N+ isn't worth it."
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First you have to define too many. 1-2-3-4-etc.

For me "too many", means losing return on your investment. I don't believe getting CompTIA certifications is a bad thing either. But randomly getting CompTIA's because they are easy and fill up space on your resume isn't a good thing either. Most people I know that went for CompTIA's usually just get A+ and move on. I have met a few guys who did A+ and moved on to MS or Cisco or something else. (From my personal experience that seems to be the trend. ***I should have followed) I think getting 1 is a great stepping stone absolutely. It can be critical at times. A+ is a great entry level certifications, we looked for it when I was hiring techs. I prefer MS, but A+ was fine with me. N+ or S+ didn't do anything for our search, but we didn't hold it against anyone.

The thread's title sends a message to me saying is getting a lot of CompTIA's a bad thing I say yes it is for reason already discussed.

There are always exceptions and if you fall in there have at it. If you employer ask you to do CompTIA well you better do it. That's not the norm though.

@ TS you mentioning "foresight basis". Well isn't someone experienced who has been through the trenches and hiring process time and time again a good resource for this type of subject? When I say I should of stopped at A+ I mean that for myself. If I would of known what I know now I would of stopped there. That's all I am saying. I have 5 believe it or not. And really only 2 have done anything for me and A+ was the biggest one. Even on system admin interviews and other technical positions A+ was surprisingly brought up. Network + has only been mentioned a few times on the job description. Forget about the rest UNLESS you are going for a government job in the US and then Security + is a hot item. ERP did mention learning something from Network +, I agree with him going through the book was excellent. Taught me things I never knew, but I still shouldn't of taken the test, just read the book and absorbed the knowledge. ***I am leaving Linux + out of this conversation because I don't hold it or know what it can do. I can only go on other peoples experiences.

As far I can tell nobody is saying stop learning or don't go over the material, we are talking about dropping coin on these entry level certifications without some seriously thought. What I end up seeing happening is people drop 1000+ on these exams and then don't have any resources left over to go after the technology they truly want, after discovering a IT specific passion. OR...... They get bummed out when they go for all the CompTIA's and don't land a great job because of the certification. At the very least you see them regretful wishing they had that money back for a CompTIA or a Cisco exam.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    comptia certs are great for filling CE requirements on other certs
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    And a great way for CompTIA to keep a steady stream of revenue coming in.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Comptia Net+ and CCENT does not == same
    They are at least a 40% different certifications, cover many different areas from each other

CCENT covers layer 2 and 3 waaaaay more than Network+
    actually, you shouldnt even compare these certifications, they are addressed to two different kinds of people.

I dont know... Ive taken both certs in the last 4 yrs and I dont find them similar at all (but a question here and there).
    You want to go vendor specific? And a better comprehension of how L2 and L3 works? (and a bit of transport layer too)
    Then you go CCENT
    Vendorless? you like hardware? tech support? basic admin duties? go net+
    meh
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having taken both, I would also say that:
    CCENT >>>> Net+

Net+ is good if you literally don't know anything about Networks; I was completely unsatisfied after having obtained that certification.
    CCENT is enough to give you a good understanding of what's going on within the network. Being in a Systems administration type role, I am happy with CCENT knowledge.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You know there is nothing wrong with getting your A+and just buying used copies of the Network+ and Security + books just to study them. They have good fundamental knowledge that is important for entry level jobs. Spend the money you would have on certs on interview suits, memberships to professional organizations and go network with people.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What was the total number for all three CompTIAs, $750?

I'm thinking most people are not going to take all three exams at the same time, but if money is that tight, then this little trick can work even in the poorest of places.

Study for your exams for a year. Take $30 a paycheck (assuming a biweekly schedule) and save that money 26 times during the year. Have it automatically withdrawn from an online bank like INGDirect or something. You will then have your $750. Even in the poorest areas in the US [you guys know who you are], that $30 a paycheck is doable.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could afford the full price of the Sec+, but could not afford to fail. I believe the exams are around 220 Euro, I was spending 120 Euro before using coupons from Ebay.

Instead of turning into a debate on what to or not get, personally the Sec+ is actually interesting. Afterwards I will gun for the CCENT and not the CCNA. I have always thought of passing the ICND1 as a prerequisite to the CCNA. This time I will buy a book dedicated to the CCENT and take it from there. I will actually try and find someone around the area I live who might have a practice lap set up who might let me have a look.

I would like to eventually study for the Server+ and Linux+ because they are my weaknesses. Prehaps after the CCENT so I dont look like a Comptia junkie icon_cool.gif

Kai.
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If money is tight, just go with A+. Skip Network+ and Security+ but I'd recommend reading them, as what tpatt100 mentioned here. I am sure you can get some interviews with A+ only and then move on to higher level cert as you gain experience.
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think a lot of the people believe so much in all those job postings that you need A+, N+, and S+ to get an IT job. I believe it's a combination of luck, interviewing skills, your human network (got my first IT gig because of a friend), right attitude, and etc. Once you're in IT, stop wasting money on CompTIA certs. Save yourself some bucks and invest it somewhere else. Get the books and read them. It'll help build a good foundation to other certs, but certainly not a must have certification in my opinion. At the end of the day, people would still do whatever they like. All we can do is to share them our opinions and experiences.
    Gotta Catch'em all...
  • grande25grande25 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Irisangel and would just add that CompTIA certificates base continuing education on the highest level cert you have. I studied A+ and got bored fast and frustrated when I'd miss questions simply because it was jargon and not really a practical knowledge. Security+ was far more interesting and I felt like it was attainable based on my perceived aptitude to digest the material. When it comes to CompTIA I would just go for the highest cert you feel comfortable with and then branch out into other cert providers. I'm going after CCNA and maybe higher after that. Understanding network and computer security is becoming more and more desirable but in my opinion understanding the routers/switches is really helpful as well. Although, I'm gaining interest in scripting and Microsoft certs as well.
    grande makes a lot of sense.

I agree getting your feet wet and banging out a CompTIA cert is not a bad idea. Grabbing 4-5 like I did doesn't make much sense unless in a special situation. Network + taught me a lot IMO and Security + was another really good one to get, although I thought that test was much easier than Network +. A+ was boring you are right about that, but for someone looking to get into IT right out of highschool it's not a bad one to get. Infact it's probably the best one to get unless you are some programming whiz.