Options

Worth Getting Network+

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
I'm studying for ICND2 at the moment and considering studying for Network+ at same time as I should know a lot of the stuff already.

Question is, with it being vendor neutral, will it clash with my ICND2 studies, maybe causing problems as I should be learning things the "Cisco Way" for ICND2. Do you think it best to get ICND2 out the way first, or once I have my CCNA, is N+ still worth going for?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    I think CCNA covers N+.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fsanyee wrote: »
    I think CCNA covers N+.

I'd agree with you there, but it's been 6 years since I took my Network+ so the details are a little foggy.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I disagree.

I'm studying for ICND2 now. I took network+ a couple months ago when I was a total newb.

ICND2 is more hands on and problem solving than Network+ which is memorizing. Think ICND2 as applied N+
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Don't waste your time.

CCNA is way more hands on and involved then Network+.

Network+ is just memorizing facts...Nice to have, however CCNA has more mileage.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    I would recommend getting it, and not just because I have it, but because a lot of companies view it as a minimum requirement, and I have seen enough stories on this forum and other of HR reps throwing out perfectly qualified resumes because they didn't see Network+ and didn't know any better that CCNA or other higher certs cover all the same material plus way more. If you are studying for your ICND2, you will know all the theory to pass N+, you will just need to memorize a few trivial things like cable lengths, fiber optic connectors, a few WAN technologies that CCNA goes go that deep into, and a few other things. Look at the Net+ outcomes and you will realize you know 90% of the stuff already which is enough to pass.
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    zrockstar wrote: »
    I would recommend getting it, and not just because I have it, but because a lot of companies view it as a minimum requirement, and I have seen enough stories on this forum and other of HR reps throwing out perfectly qualified resumes because they didn't see Network+ and didn't know any better that CCNA or other higher certs cover all the same material plus way more.

If a company is overlooking your resume because they want a Network+ but doesn't know anything about the CCNA, I'm not sure that would be a company you want to work for...
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCNA pretty much covers everything you need to know from Net+, and it certainly dwarfs and eliminates any value Net+ adds. If CCNA is in your immediate future I wouldn't bother with Net+.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Coin flip thing. Most job application stuff is done online (in So CAL) these days and it depends on who set up the questions. I remember applying for a position year or so back, the description didn't match the questions very well. When it got to certifications, there was a question about Net+ but nothing about Cisco. I put no. There was a section later for additional comments and I wrote in my CCNA but never got a call for an interview. If you don't have enough hits in the computer screening process, you'll never see anyone from HR.

Is it worth taking to have it? Perhaps. But do you have extra money just laying around to cover the cost of the test? However, all the CompTIA certs have gone the CE route requiring 3 year renewals / continuing education credit. If you've got the old Net+ then passing CCNA (and paying $147 US) will get you a 3-year renewal on Net+. (On a side note, that's the route I'm currently taking with CCNA:S to get 3 year pass on Sec+ for work).

Your profile block shows you're from the UK. You might need to get some country specific guidance to find out what is being looked for on your side of the pond.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    m3zilla wrote: »
    If a company is overlooking your resume because they want a Network+ but doesn't know anything about the CCNA, I'm not sure that would be a company you want to work for...

Yup, like SPD said, sometimes it isn't even a person looking at it, but a computer scanning for keywords. And with the amount of applications jobs are getting these days, thinks can be overlooked, and Net+ could set you apart from other people with CCNA if a company values CompTIA, which a lot do.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think it would be nice to have to get the Network+ for the random information CCNA doesn't cover, but you don't need in any way if you pass the CCNA.
  • Options
    zrockstar wrote: »
    Yup, like SPD said, sometimes it isn't even a person looking at it, but a computer scanning for keywords. And with the amount of applications jobs are getting these days, thinks can be overlooked, and Net+ could set you apart from other people with CCNA if a company values CompTIA, which a lot do.

Personally, if a company values the Network+ more than my CCNA/CCNP, then that company is not for me. The reason why I get certified by Cisco is because I want to work in network...and a company that only knows of CompTIA probably doesn't have a job I want.
  • Options
    DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why take a step back, work on a higher level certificate?

Chicks dig guys with CCNP over Network+.
  • Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    So is CCNA Cisco specific or is it basically the Network+ of Cisco with general network knowledge? I've requested a CCENT training from work before and I was told it's too vendor specific and wouldn't apply to me, yet I was given a Network+ training. Both cost the same, so that's not the issue. Any help would be great, thanks!
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    To the OP:

I think there is some confusion amongst newbies. The big debate is Network+ or CCNA -- which is better? You're comparing apples to oranges here
    Network+ is going to be very vendor neutral and covering a general yet somewhat specific understanding of networking topics. You may have stuff on the Network+ that is not on the CCNA (actually a lot) that isnt Cisco specific - maybe more wiring or NIC stuff etc etc. I reviewed the N+ objectives once...

The CCNA is 100% Cisco specific - So what does this mean? Well you're gonna learn the Cisco way... it will touch base on all topics of routing, switching and some network services and how to implement them in a small to medium business using Cisco equipment.

So we all hear the blah blah blah about "vendor neutral" or "vendor specific" - and who ever says "oh go for the N+ or CCNA covers N+" may not be the best folks to listen to.

Or objective in this game is to obtain gainful employment - employers who overlook a CCNA certification in lieu of a Network+ is smoking some good sh** and I want some. However on a serious note... the CCNA will give you the foundations for beginning your career as a network professional - whether your work on Cisco or not. Cisco is the "cadillac" of networking or so I hear and the concepts apply everywhere. I dont think this is true for the N+ as you dont get any real "hands on" learning with it as you would with the CCNA.

I worked in IT for 6 years before getting into networking and I started off in a NOC fixing T1 circuits - I gained experience before my test and I was hesitent to even take the exam as I'm not a big fan of certification tests. However - since getting my CCNA; I can tell you it opens up more doors for certification - TIA has always been looked down upon in the industry and I dont think it's going to change. Cisco is a brand and it has brand recognizition -- HELL most customers hear Cisco and their panties drop..

So dont mess with the bigwheel jump on the harley and get your CCNA you wont regret it.

And as for those thinking that they're gonna miss out on information by going cisco vs neutral - let me give you a piece of advice. You can learn to wire cat5 in the switch room, you can learn DHCP options while you're troubleshooting, you can learn cabling specifications and all the other general jazz on the job... cuz let's face it- just because you pass an exam dont make you an expert - you're gonna run into stuff you've never dreamed could work and guess what? You'll be expected to fix it. Google will become your friend, blogs will excite you, non-cisco folks will piss you off.

You can learn anything JIT (Just in Time)

GM had a motto when I was studying to be a mechanic - they teach you the basics and what you need to fix a car.. everything else is JIT --- Just in Time to fix it. If you have the foundations - you can adapt and learn on the call and on the job
  • Options
    I kind of have to disagree with you, drkat. I hear people say the CCNA/CCNP/Cisco certs are vendor specific all the time, and that's total BS. Sure, the commands to configure the device may be vendor specific, but the concepts it teaches will carry weight anywhere. Things like STP, Trunking, VLAN, OSPF, BPG, etc will work the same on any equipment.

It's like programming, it's the same concept no matter what language you use, it's just different syntax.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go for CCNA, you'll learn the N+ stuff and some. I studied the N+ material but never got certified and I'm glad I saved the money.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    m3zilla wrote: »
    I kind of have to disagree with you, drkat. I hear people say the CCNA/CCNP/Cisco certs are vendor specific all the time, and that's total BS. Sure, the commands to configure the device may be vendor specific, but the concepts it teaches will carry weight anywhere. Things like STP, Trunking, VLAN, OSPF, BPG, etc will work the same on any equipment.

Agreed - however within the scope of the N+ I dont think it's on the winning end of the BGP/MPLS game
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I took this back when CompTIA exams never expired! I will never take another CompTIA exam, unless a company is paying for it.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5