Upcoming Interview, I need to prepare and need some advice

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
Here is the job description:

Network Administrator:
  • Citrix MetaFrame Server
  • Avaya Phone Administration
  • Microsoft Exchange Anywhere Configuration
  • Windows Server 2003 R2
  • Workstation & Server Hardware Administration (Upgrades, Maintenance, Etc.)
  • LAN & WLAN Network Administration
  • Windows Server Domain & Active Directory Administration
Windows XP through 7 Technical Support

I am weak on the following: Citrix Metaframe, Avaya Phone Administration, and Exchange Anywhere Configuration. I am very familiar with these technologies but have not had the opportunity to dabble with them yet. My company now uses A LOT of citrix xenapp models to provide virtual desktop instances to our customers; I have dealt with some areas in Avaya with managing people / PBX functions through CMS and central services to reset voicemail passwords, and I have also had client side interactions with exchange through means up setting customers with the correct exchange server to point to pull down an email profile.
The other areas I am pretty well versed in especially the LAN and WLAN concepts. I would like to be able to speak intelligently about the areas I am weak on and was looking for some advice / some areas I could dig on some information to better prepare.

Thoughts?
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    kemar1014kemar1014 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good day,

I have an Interview with Next week with same Job descriptions but have some difficulty on the Avaya. Any body can give some advice on where to find some quick info?
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, I would not stress too bad.

The fact that they are interviewing you and presumably you didn't lie on your resume (and say you're a Citrix Metaframe god), then they're probably expecting you to have a couple of gaps. That being said, they'd probably be impressed if you read up on some basic terminology and functionality of each technology. I don't think I'd study so hard you are taking cert exams, but just know what each technology is that you're weak with, and have a rough idea of how it works, and you should be fine.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Go with what Mrock4 said. On my recent interview circuit, I did a refresh of each item on my resume. If it's on there, expect to be asked about it. Otherwise, you can't possibly know everything and interviewers know that. You do however want to speak up about being both interested in learning the technologies you don't know and show what you're doing about it. Also, how what you do know (and work with) can be a good foundation for learning those things you don't know (e.g., I know Cisco and thus can pick up Juniper more easily).
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness