Options

WGU: KFT1 course-Java programming

techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
Hey guys, I am hoping to receive any advice available for the KFT1 course at WGU. The only programming I have done is Visual Basic in school and it made me hate programming. I am hoping to gain a fresh perspective with this Java class. Are there any books you would recommend and what environment should I use? Thanks!
(CCNP: Switch) Passed!
(CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
(CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
(Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    techie2012 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I am hoping to receive any advice available for the KFT1 course at WGU. The only programming I have done is Visual Basic in school and it made me hate programming. I am hoping to gain a fresh perspective with this Java class. Are there any books you would recommend and what environment should I use? Thanks!

lots of info on this class in the "mother thread"
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I used the two Lynda Java video series to get a good basis in programming basis (HIGHLY recommended), read a Java for beginners book, and Googled for help for the rest of the code I needed help with. The included book in the course is alright but if you're a beginner in programming, I would recommend seeking other study materials.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I used the two Lynda Java video series to get a good basis in programming basis (HIGHLY recommended), read a Java for beginners book, and Googled for help for the rest of the code I needed help with. The included book in the course is alright but if you're a beginner in programming, I would recommend seeking other study materials.

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to complete the course and did you have any previous experience with programming?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I had no previous experience with programming and I would say about 2 months. I struggled through it but, in the end, it helps to know enough about programming to write scripts and understand code. I'm a BSIT major as well and unless you end up in a compliance or management job, you're probably going to need to understand code, write scripts, navigate through Linux, etc and basic programming skills helps you with all those things. I just finished KFT1 last month and drudging through my capstone right now. Feel free to email me if you need any help :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I had no previous experience with programming and I would say about 2 months. I struggled through it but, in the end, it helps to know enough about programming to write scripts and understand code. I'm a BSIT major as well and unless you end up in a compliance or management job, you're probably going to need to understand code, write scripts, navigate through Linux, etc and basic programming skills helps you with all those things. I just finished KFT1 last month and drudging through my capstone right now. Feel free to email me if you need any help :)

Thanks a bunch! I will take your advice on the study material. We do use a lot of scripting for SNMP at work. This class certainly will be useful.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should check out swild's thread. He posted some good information on the programming courses.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/73130-wgu-challenge-finish-1-term.html
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I am working on KFT1 now as well. I would say the materials they give you are pretty bad. swild suggested Java for Programmers that seems to help me since it has a lot of code examples.
    WGU grad