Options

VLAN -- what's the deal?

mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have two pcs in different networks connected to a router via switch.

192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0
192.168.200.1 255.255.255.0

Both are in the same VLAN (vlan1)

They are communicating just fine. What's the deal with VLAN? Why do we need them? If I put on the VLAN it'll be more configurations (trunking).

icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Separation of broadcast domains is a big reason. Security as well. You can run different networks over the same layer 2 infrastructure using the same vlan. It is just not ideal. I have done this a few times, but in every scenario it has been more of a hack.
  • Options
    HackedAliasHackedAlias Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Separation of broadcast domains, separation of various traffic (data, voice, wireless etc). Increased security and logical separation of various hosts/devices for easier network management.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Because anyone in the first network can re-IP their machine and all of a sudden they're in the second network. It's built-in "VLAN-hopping" capability. All ARP broadcasts are seen by everyone, even if it wasn't intended for their network. Security nightmare.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We had separate VLANs set up at work that would allow "Guests" wireless access to the internet, yet they couldn't access our intranet.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I guess the real question is: Why wouldn't you use a vlan? - this is just a sloppy design besides what are you using as your default gateways and how is your router set up? i'd be interested to see...
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    drkat wrote: »
    I guess the real question is: Why wouldn't you use a vlan? - this is just a sloppy design
    In my home network, every device is in its own VLAN--my PC, my printer, my cell phone, even my Internet router! It's mad secure! ;)
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    In my home network, every device is in its own VLAN--my PC, my printer, my cell phone, even my Internet router! It's mad secure! ;)

heh... ocd ;)
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229

LOL, now that is too funny! WTF
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5