Options

Apple Support Professional hoping to get CCNA/CCENT

wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, All.

I'm a new member, and I joined to pretty much ask this question specifically as I haven't seen it answered elsewhere:

I'm currently an Apple service technician. I've worked at a Mac helpdesk/service center for about three years, and I worked as a systems admin for a Mac-based small business for about three years. I currently do hardware repair and software troubleshooting and support for Apple desktops, laptops, iOS devices, and servers. I have the Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP) and Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT) certifications, which cover software and hardware, respectively. I also build gaming PCs on the side and have set up several CentOS and Ubuntu servers.

I've heard a lot of people say that the A+ is recommended before taking the CCNA/CCENT. Is this still the case if I have experience with Apple stuff? The "guts" of the machines are about the same from a hardware standpoint, from what I can tell, but I'm not sure if my Apple experience will adequately prepare me for the CCENT/CCNA career path.

Should I still go for the A+ or just skip it since I have real world experience and Apple certifications?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The Apple knowledge will likely be little to no help really when it comes to Cisco certifications. A solid understanding of IP communications definitely will though. Not sure what all is covered in these certifications though. With the CCNA/CCENT you won't be learning about the hardware 'guts' of the routers/switches so your hardware knowledge won't be beneficial from a strictly exam stand point.

Personally I'd skip the A+. That is the type of certification that could help you get the job you currently have. If you are looking to move up it probably isn't going to be the wisest investment of your time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Also, skip the Network+ too if you are planning on taking the CCENT/CCNA. It really doesn't cover anything on the test, other then well known ports and ranges of IPv4 addresses.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown