how many users for one I.T person?

healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
In a site what should be the ratio for 1 person

how many users per person?

what is a good ratio?

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It really depends. One company I worked for had 2 IT people to about 30 end-users but they didn't implement any self service password reset systems or SSO. Another company I worked with had 25,000 end-users to about 30 help desk people but they had implemented SSO and various tools to assist the customer before they were able to reach someone working in IT over the phone. It really depends on the environment
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□

Yup! It also depends on the service level you are attempting to provide.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    For smaller companies it seems to be about 50:1, 2 minimum from my experience. The smaller the company, the more roles those few IT staff have to take on.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where I work, we have about 10000 active users with six(6) full-time + ten(10) part-time staff.

Bear in mind that I work in a college and those 10000 users share about 1000 computers.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I work for a MSP. There are 9 of us supporting 1000 users.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Same here, rsutton. Small MSP, supporting 500-1000 users across ~35 clients. Two helpdesk, 7 fields engineers.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Granted, this is education based, so it's a whole other ball of wax from the corporate/enterprise world, but Virginia quality of standards in education recommended one IT support person per every 1000 students to support all the staff & systems what would entail. We were never anywhere near that, had a staff of about 4-5 people supporting 800+ staff members and 2000+ systems for 7000+ students.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It also depends on how much technology a company consumes. If they just have some email and some files, they aren't going to need much help, even if they are a larger company. However, I worked for a 200-user company and the IT department had 6 FTEs and had anywhere between 1-8 contractors working on stuff at any given time; they consumed tons of tech. Heh, as a matter of fact, they had three different fax solutions... one for inbound fax, one for outbound from the CRM system, and one for outbound from the ERP system... any other outbounds were from 15 year old fax machines.... I consolidated all of the faxing into RightFax (and virtualized it, doing FoIP to our phone system), and then setup our industrial-size copier with two POTS lines so that it could be used as a backup. I think I worked myself out of a job, to be honest... I did lots of that kind of stuff. I think they went to two FTEs, and then outsourced the helpdesk and systems maintenance. The contractors were all programmers.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work for a service provider doing Desktop Support. I support over 200 users alone.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm in a Desktop Support role covering ~65 users.

Another important thing to consider is how many pieces of hardware and how many applications each user touches. If everyone uses one system that makes it a lot easier than if each user touches 15 applications which can break indpendently.

65 users isn't a ton, but sometimes it feels like I'm supporting 1000 people with the amount of issues that arise.
  • Options
    do you guys support the infrastructure issues as well as users like when a switch or server goes down? I mean from front to back
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    healthyboy wrote: »
    do you guys support the infrastructure issues as well as users like when a switch or server goes down? I mean from front to back

I'm solely desktop support, but I do help with server issues if its something that requires "hands on" as they're all managed by a team off site
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options

I wish - My employer has a group of field engineers that cover regions of the country for things like this. If they can't solve the issue removely, they'll fly to the site.
  • Options
    YFZblu wrote: »
    I wish - My employer has a group of field engineers that cover regions of the country for things like this. If they can't solve the issue removely, they'll fly to the site.

Are you guys like the only i.t people onsite? or don't you guys have admin rights to the servers?
  • Options
    Are you guys like the only i.t people onsite? or don't you guys have admin rights to the servers?

I cover three buildings, all located in different cities. I am the only person who supports the users locally. I do have admin rights to the servers at the campus, but the reasoning for that is primarily so I can manage PrintMe. My company is based in Phoenix, AZ and has a large collection of admins, analysts, and engineers who support the servers and network hardware for the most part.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bear in mind that I work in a college

I also work for a college. ~8000 end users, about 1100 machines, and 10 full-time IT staff (including the CTO). We do support everything on our side of the demarc line, routers, switches, servers, and we all have domain admin accounts as well as regular user accounts.