Options

What do I need to do to get on the right path??? PLEASE HELP

DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I have my A+ and my Network+ and have been working in call centers as tier2 technical support for over 4 years now... I've held a few hardware/software support positions as well... I'm currently studying for the 70-680 cert which will continue towards the 70-686 and then the server EA cert but I feel like I'm wasting my time and should be working and getting xp in a desktop support / help desk role in order to pursue being a server admin position at some point... am I correct to assume this? Please help guys I feel lost and seriously don't know which direction to go into... I don't even know if I have the knowledge to get a desktop support / help desk position... thank you for your time guys :)

Comments

• Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Experience > certification
    if you've working in call centers as tier2 technical support for over 4 years then you have the skills to move up. 4 years is a long time to be in one position. learn more about the server side stuff if you dont work in it on a daily basis already and start applying.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    matt333 wrote: »
    Experience > certification
    if you've working in call centers as tier2 technical support for over 4 years then you have the skills to move up. 4 years is a long time to be in one position. learn more about the server side stuff if you dont work in it on a daily basis already and start applying.

Tech support in a call center is nothing like desktop support /help desk... I support customers issues with VoIP and minor networking issues... nothing special, I just feel like I'm in the wrong part of IT if that makes sense... working in a call center isn't going to get me a server admin role because I have no access to the server side of things, I'm more on the lines of a punching bag for customers lol I only deal with the LAN side of things that had nothing to do with my company's network :) I"m just stuck in a never ending role that I can't seem to get out of... I figure you have to be below a systems admin.. helping him with some aspects of his job before you can take his job... not sure if I'm looking at the situation correctly... this is why I started on the path of Microsoft certification of win7 admin and server admin but i feel the only thing that's missing is me leaving call centers and getting xp with a desktop support / help desk role...do you guys think I'm on the right by doing this??
  • Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only thing to do is if the company isnt helping u to live up to your full potential and not providing you to expand jump ships,

not worth respecting a company that does not respect you.
    Deemeetri wrote: »
    Tech support in a call center is nothing like desktop support /help desk... I support customers issues with VoIP and minor networking issues... nothing special, I just feel like I'm in the wrong part of IT if that makes sense... working in a call center isn't going to get me a server admin role because I have no access to the server side of things, I'm more on the lines of a punching bag for customers lol I only deal with the LAN side of things that had nothing to do with my company's network :) I"m just stuck in a never ending role that I can't seem to get out of... I figure you have to be below a systems admin.. helping him with some aspects of his job before you can take his job... not sure if I'm looking at the situation correctly... this is why I started on the path of Microsoft certification of win7 admin and server admin but i feel the only thing that's missing is me leaving call centers and getting xp with a desktop support / help desk role...do you guys think I'm on the right by doing this??
  • Options
    healthyboy wrote: »
    Only thing to do is if the company isnt helping u to live up to your full potential and not providing you to expand jump ships,

not worth respecting a company that does not respect you.

oh no don't get me wrong the company i'm working for is amazing, very good company to work for, I think I may just have to get an entry-level desktop support / help desk position and basically start from scratch...doesn't look like I have a choice
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Team lead role maybe? You know the processes and the business.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Team lead role maybe? You know the processes and the business.

I do indeed but that doesn't interest me... I'm facinated with Active directory and all that the Server platform has to offer and how it incorporates into the corporate structure of the network side of things... I was offered a supervisor position in the company I worked for before this one but I declined because it doesn't interest me one bit :) Thank you for the advice though N2IT :)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do indeed but that doesn't interest me... I'm facinated with Active directory and all that the Server platform has to offer and how it incorporates into the corporate structure of the network side of things... I was offered a supervisor position in the company I worked for before this one but I declined because it doesn't interest me one bit :) Thank you for the advice though N2IT :)
    Well... there's nothing right or wrong about liking one thing more than another. If that's where your passion is, working towards a certification to get your foot in the door is probably a good thing. In the meantime, do try all you can to get some experience at your present company. Even if you're not the server guy, maybe you can do a favor for the server guy in exchange for a bit of help! I've traded photography tips with IT guys in exchange for special favors before. It's all good. ;)
    jump ships,
    I wouldn't be so quick to jump ships. It sounds like his present role is a good one, just not his ideal. I'd suggest laying the groundwork for his next position before jumping!
  • Options
    Well... there's nothing right or wrong about liking one thing more than another. If that's where your passion is, working towards a certification to get your foot in the door is probably a good thing. In the meantime, do try all you can to get some experience at your present company. Even if you're not the server guy, maybe you can do a favor for the server guy in exchange for a bit of help! I've traded photography tips with IT guys in exchange for special favors before. It's all good. ;)

I wouldn't be so quick to jump ships. It sounds like his present role is a good one, just not his ideal. I'd suggest laying the groundwork for his next position before jumping!

Meh I've been doing the same thing for over 4 years lol and I'm an idiot for getting the same position again even though this is a fantastic telecommunication company...
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel I am in the same boat only I want to peruse the Network Realm instead of Desktop / Server support like you are. I too am not working the role I want to be in or one I feel is developing me into something that I am truly seeking. My suggestions / what I think will prove successful (because this is what I am currently doing and am positive it will work out in time): I currently do not have any real world working experience in Cisco Networking, although I do know a great deal about it, I'm CCNA certified studying CCNP level items.

Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier experience speaks over all, epically with IT. This truly is what gets you noticed the most. However I think if you continue down your certification path and keep that going strong you are only going to learn more and be able to apply that knowledge sooner than someone who is up and coming without certs. I believe this will allow you to rise to the top must faster than someone who wasn’t focused on certs previously. This too also allow you to stay current with the industry content as you know IT changes rapidly. Experience > Certs but I think the funny thing is I've seen so many job listings that require the certs too, usually within a time frame.

Keep you options open, apply to jobs, even ones that you may not be a 100% fit for, it puts your name in the hat. You never know if that company may decide to hire within and the real open spot is something more fitting for you. Also, talk to your boss / manager. See what they can do for you. Maybe they can help get you get set up with server / desktop guys to learn stuff or slowly start doing things for them. Who knows they could eventually put you on their team. I think you having been at your current job for 4 years is great! It shows dedication and that you are seeking to gain the most you can from your current role. I hate seeing a resume with Swiss cheese job history where someone couldn’t even hold a job a year.

Keep at it, something will come along. I know, I am right there with ya :)
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    I feel I am in the same boat only I want to peruse the Network Realm instead of Desktop / Server support like you are. I too am not working the role I want to be in or one I feel is developing me into something that I am truly seeking. My suggestions / what I think will prove successful (because this is what I am currently doing and am positive it will work out in time): I currently do not have any real world working experience in Cisco Networking, although I do know a great deal about it, I'm CCNA certified studying CCNP level items.

Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier experience speaks over all, epically with IT. This truly is what gets you noticed the most. However I think if you continue down your certification path and keep that going strong you are only going to learn more and be able to apply that knowledge sooner than someone who is up and coming without certs. I believe this will allow you to rise to the top must faster than someone who wasn’t focused on certs previously. This too also allow you to stay current with the industry content as you know IT changes rapidly. Experience > Certs but I think the funny thing is I've seen so many job listings that require the certs too, usually within a time frame.

Keep you options open, apply to jobs, even ones that you may not be a 100% fit for, it puts your name in the hat. You never know if that company may decide to hire within and the real open spot is something more fitting for you. Also, talk to your boss / manager. See what they can do for you. Maybe they can help get you get set up with server / desktop guys to learn stuff or slowly start doing things for them. Who knows they could eventually put you on their team. I think you having been at your current job for 4 years is great! It shows dedication and that you are seeking to gain the most you can from your current role. I hate seeing a resume with Swiss cheese job history where someone couldn’t even hold a job a year.

Keep at it, something will come along. I know, I am right there with ya :)

Thanx for the advice Daniel, something tells me a lot more people than we think are in job roles that aren't going anywhere but a lot of people are just comfortable with exactly where they are because it's easy which is not the way it needs to be
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanx for the advice Daniel, something tells me a lot more people than we think are in job roles that aren't going anywhere
    Most people are in roles where they aren't going anywhere major.

First, your ability isn't infinite. You will not rise up the corporate ladder either technically or managerially for an indefinite period. Second, many people reach a level where they're comfortable with the compensation they're achieving, and then their focus switches to minimizing the amount of effort to continue receiving it, rather than maximizing their compensation. Third, there is the principle of diminishing returns. Doing twice the work doesn't typically net twice the pay.

The most rapid growth tends to happen early in your career.