Options

IT Fields Question

CLEMENTE21CLEMENTE21 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am thinking about enroll PSU for Information Technology BA degree. I am searching for which IT fields will suit me. Since I am deaf and hear/speak is out of questions. Any IT fields that not requires for speak or hear? I researched IT fields and I think Network admin may be an excellent choice for me, don't you think? Any advises would be great.

Before you suggest, I love to be around with computers, I am into it for 15 years, but never thought about involves IT careers. Last year I graduated Electrical Technology with AAS degree. No electrical jobs want me. I thought about IT career because I am pretty sure almost every IT staffs have smart phones where I could use email/text forth and back when it comes to IT related business. Unlike "electricians". I always repair PC and laptops, fixed my parents' computers when it hits virus (they are clueless how to identify). etc.

Okay, Thanks for advance.

P.S. I am thrilled to be here, I never thought there is IT forums existed. Duh me.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hrm. I suspect an inability to ever discuss an issue with a customer will be a stopper for many employers, even if many issues are handled entirely by e-mail. A 5-minute discussion sometimes clears thing up very quickly! I suspect you would have better success in the realm of software engineering, electrical engineering, or as a lab technician. Those are roles where you could literally tune out the world and mostly focus on your piece of the puzzle.

What I would suggest you could do to improve your chances--

1) Can you learn to speak, even if not perfectly, or use text-to-speech software? Stephen Hawkings speaks through a computer and he still succeeds as an interesting public speaker.

2) Can you read lips, or learn to read lips? This would make it much easier on your managers as you would be able to follow what they are saying during team meetings.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can tell you one thing for sure it will be difficult for you to it work in IT because the competition in IT is stiff. The best advise I can give you is go all in get your BA or BS in a computer related field, get certifications you really cant "half ass" it. Internships are big, real world experience is very important, perhaps get one at a deaf school or program center at first.

To be honest, not being able to communicate face-to-face at least in the interview process is going to put you in a difficult position. Make yourself as marketable as possible.

As far as Network Admin positions.. you have to work your way up to that position (normally 3-5 years of help-desk type of position)
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    matt333 wrote: »
    The best advise I can give you is go all in get your BA or BS in a computer related field, get certifications you really cant "half ass" it.
    True that. I could see a company working with him, if he nailed all other aspects of what they're looking for. And his situation might be sold as an asset if he were to work as IT at a school for the deaf.
  • Options
    In the order to have job interview, it won't be difficult for me because by the law, the companies are required to provide an interpreter for me when I request. So I can have plenty reasons to explain why they should hire me, and I would have prepare to explain them how to have communicate with me as hearing to deaf. Thankful for Ipad, Iphone, some smart phones, and tablets, they do have text to speech software, but it's 80% effective. I'd love to have it 100%. I know a deaf person who developed closed captions behind the youtube and he states it's 60% effective because of people uses accents, which difficult for translate to subtitle. That's what I'd be concern with mine if I have team meeting. I do have video relay service. It should be work.

I could able launch IT jobs at deaf schools or university (Gallaudet), but they are hours away from me. I am not depending on them. They are running from private grants. Once private grants run out, then they would close down. I would lose job. I cannot risk for that.

My most concern: I don't want to work in one of IT fields that requires speak/listen every day. I'd be okay with a little bit or never. At first, I'd love to do develop, but what I understand from their job description, they would work with programmers, developers, to make whatever happen. I'd be thrilled if they use email/chat client to discuss, but in person? I hate that.

I can read lip with any familiar faces if I see them daily. Only I cannot do is understand the sound. If I hear any loud sound, I cannot say what is it. I speak some words that people would catch what I try say. I am totally deaf.

Thanks for replies. I apprentice that. I will stick around and look for clues in this forum. I wonder if you ever know some deaf people here? Just wondering. Thanks.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe you should look to apply your skills in a work environment that is very noisy. Because you're deaf, you have an advantage over hearing people.

You don't want to lip read - you know how hard it is to avoid that in work. The higher up you go, the more meetings you have to attend.
    Maybe you should keep it more general instad of aiming for just one field?

Ps. My brother is deaf.
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    If they refuse to hire you because you're differently abled when reasonable accommodations would allow you to do the job, I think that would be very illegal. Software development seems like a good bet or anything with remote monitoring or non-customer facing role.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    regardless of how illegal it is. there is ALWAYS going to be social/gender biases in the work place. Software development or programming would be a good fit and remote might work. Good Luck in whatever you decide.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    I noticed Software fields mentioned often. I will look up at it.

Oh yeah, it is illegal to turn me down if they tell me it's based on deaf, but they use back way to turn me down by telling me they chose another better qualified candidate, or never call back after job interview. Eh.

MickQ, i hope he don't deal with those crap like I do in the America. Hahaha. I'd love to learn Ireland sign language. It should be fun.

Seriously, thank you all. It's very helpful information. Thumbs up.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A collegue from a long time ago curently works for a non-profit (US-based) that specializes in placing disabled individuals into at-home based jobs. While they primarily focus on individuals with mobility disabilities, they may be able to refer you to similar organizations which can provide like-services.

Link to site here - Virtual Call Center and Contact Center, Work-at-Home Jobs | NTI

Besides software development, other options you may want to consider include software qa (maybe hardware qa but I'm not familiar with that specialty). There are probably several other IT related roles where verbal communications is less of a factor.
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    What's disabled is corporate policies on how to handle a diverse workforce. This person is having to base his career around how they will respond to him. That tells me our society has a lot to learn.
  • Options
    At the same time techdude, we are based in the real world. Best people for the job, whatever they are. Metrics on who that is will vary.

Celemente, he doesn't have to put up with any crap (not like him to do that anyway). The deafness is the least of his problems, but he's one of the street smartest people I know. He's always able to use it to his advantage when he wants.

Software development might be good for you. Usually in development teams there is a middleman who translates the customer's wishes into objectives, and you will program up these objectives.
    There will be the problem of conveying the idea, but the middleman will be able to email you the tasks and talk to you as needs be. Beats having to go over it with customers who don't know what they're asking for (and changing their minds).
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    how about further continuation of academia in IT? Become an online professor? Most all communication is electronic.
  • Options
    MickQ, Thanks man. now I can picture what software development is.

Devilry, I never thought about that! Great one. Thanks!

Really, I would go for any IT fields, but I had to ask people who are in IT fields for years and years, to find out which fields that would be suit for deaf like me like just suggestions and I would research fields then make a choice. I am fking tired of human resources gave me false hopes, and claimed they would call back. They never did. I never asked anyone before about Electrician positions and I really wish I did! Because this positions require oral speaking!! I lost my two years for one major that maybe never apply to me in the future. It's just fking paper to me. I learned lessons and I told myself, I will talk people, ask them, find out. That's why I am here to find out. I was surfing this forum, I learned a lot. I am grateful to be here.
  • Options
    Don't forget to ask around in the deaf community. I'm sure that there are plenty of organisations and fora where you can ask others with more and direct experience.
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go with software development/programming for sure.
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking