steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Having a problem with my setup.

I have 2 2611xm routers connected
R1 10.0.0.1/11
R2 10.0.0.2/11
R1 has LAN 10.32.0.0/11
R2 has LAN 10.64.0.0/11
R2 has Lan 10.96.0.0/11

The routers are using ripv2 and can ping each other and Lans no problem. When I configure the 2950 switch's with vlan ip address 10.64.0.2/11 with a default gateway of R2 I can not ping it or connect to it from R1 and the switch cannot ping its DFG. I am stumped. Any feedback would be appreciate.

Thank you,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First, when solving network problems, it helps to identify what is relevant. You say the switch cannot ping the device it's directly connected to--R2. That link is what you should focus on, and the rest of the network is irrelevant. Here are the only bits of your original question that are relevant--
    steve2012 wrote: »
    R2 has LAN 10.64.0.0/11

When I configure the 2950 switch's with vlan ip address 10.64.0.2/11 with a default gateway of R2... the switch cannot ping its DFG. I am stumped.

A good debugging process is to move either up or down the layers.

L3-BAD!: You say you cannot ping from the 2950 to R2. Before you begin troubleshooting at L3, it makes sense to verify that lower layers are working. If your AC isn't working because your engine won't start, you're wasting time looking at the condensor. Start with the basics.
    Is L2 up?: Can you see each other in "show cdp neighbors"?
    If no, is L1 up?: Is the interface status up/up or is it down or err-disable?

Why don't you post back after you've isolated the lowest layer where the problem exists and collected as much information as you can about the problem at that layer?
  • Options
    I can see R2 in CDP neighbors and vise versa but cannot ping the devices. I have done layer 1 & 2 troubleshooting. Still no answers.

Steve
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    is R2 connected to an access port in the same vlan as the vlan interface you have configured on the switch? Or are you trunking?

Since the devices can't even ping each other when they're supposedly in the same vlan, that tells me that you don't have layer 2 adjacency, because routing isn't involved yet. So chances are pretty good your VLAN config is stuffed.

What port on the 2950 is R2 connected to, and what mode is that port set for? Is it an access port? If so, what vlan did you configure it for? What vlan interface did you configure the 2950 for? Ie, if you put the R2 port in vlan5, but you configured vlan1 on the switch, yeah, they're not going to be able to talk to each other, you'd need to configure the switch's interface as vlan5, the same vlan that the router is in.
  • Options
    is R2 connected to an access port in the same vlan as the vlan interface you have configured on the switch?

The switch had ports 31-40 in Vlan2. Vlan2 was somehow removed in a previous lab setup, leaving vlan1 with fa0/1-0/30 - 0/41-48 with ports 31-40 missing in vlan1. I added the ports back into vlan1 and all is well.

Thank you for the responses. much appreciated.

Steve