Options

70-642 exam

brad_121brad_121 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I sat the 70-642 exam for the 2nd time today. And for the second time failed... icon_sad.gif

Feeling a bit disheartened and wondering where i can improve from here. I have been putting in extra time and lab practice (including getting up earlier before work as one forum member suggested - thanks) I am about to find out about this week whether I have got a new job which will be a little less technical.

Whether that means I continue with the MCITP or not, well the jury's out on that one. But at the very least i feel i need to complete and (finally) pass the 70-642. Whether it be to finish something i've been working on and off for 6 months to complete or as a first step to the MCITP...

My first score was 595 with 700 needed for a pass and today's score was 577. What's weird is (without wanting to break the NDA) is that the amount of questions i received today was significantly different to the amount i received the first time around... weird.

The area I did significantly worse in today (but good the first time round) was 'Configuring Addressing and Services' and i think that was in part due to ipv6

The resources i've been using to prepare is the MOAC guides (which i don't particularly recommend) and the self paced training kits (which are better). However the copy of the self paced training kits i have are server 2008 and not 2008 r2. Do they even come in a 2008 r2 flavour?

I've been using the practice questions i got with both of these books too.

Can anyone recommend some things i can do to improve and finally pass?

Comments

• Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry on the Fail . but dont lose hope

What CBT 's are you using ? I have had mixed review from both Trainsignal & CBT Nuggets . so got them both from a Friend ( who had them ) .

I am preparing for the 642 and was told this was the easiest exam in the MCITP Track ( but to be honest i find this topics tough )

The MS Self paced books come in a R2 Version as well so make sure you get hold of them along with Technet and labbing you should be able to nail it next time

Good luck and the link to the R2 Version is here Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (9780735651609): Tony Northrup, J.C. Mackin: Books
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    brad_121brad_121 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not using the CBT's at all actually. Pretty expensive at $800 and $900 US...
    Actually I have been watching itfreetraining on youtube. A great resource and perfectly priced!

Overall I don't find most of the topics too tough, i think it's the finer details that get me. And some of the newer topics like BranchCache, DirectAccess and ipv6. (which my book don't cover much or at all)

One question I do have is how to you do the labbing? I have been following the practice exercises in the books and trying to extend as much as i can beyond that, but clearly i'm missing something if i'm not passing...

I am tempted to get v2 of the MCITP SA 3 pack even though i already have v1 of the books seeing as it's only $106 AUD on a local site and $87 on amazon...
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The two main reasons for failing an exam are a) don't understand the information well enough, b) don't remember the information well enough. Having taken the test twice you should know which area you fall into.

If it's a) you should put more effort in to labs. Think outside the box. If your book gives you an example to do x, y and z, consider how it would be used in a real world scenario, and implement it that way. If you can't come up with a real world scenario to lab, search around on forums for how others have implemented said feature. The key here is to get enough hands on experience until you understand the cause and effects around the different lab configurations. Also - if something doesn't work properly in your lab, consider that a blessing as it gives you a chance to troubleshoot and learn even further on the topic.

If it's b) you should put an equal effort in to labs and practice exams. The labs will help you retain specific commands and images of configurations. The practice exams will create/reinforce synapses between what's being asked and what the correct answer is. They will also help you determine if you are ready to sit the exam again.

For labbing, I recommend a virtual environment with plenty of machines. Make sure you lab up scenarios outside of the book. For practice exams I recommend Transcender. I think they are harder than most actual tests, which is fine by me.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Check out this guys site. I think his stuff is pretty good and cheap: ITDVDS.COM - IT Training
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I will suggest that you go through CBT Nuggets (even the old ones without R2 Updates) if possible. Then go out for other resources.
    I will suggest Windows R2 Unleashed and MCTS Study Guide for IP v6. Had a tough time with IP v6 as CBT Nuggets is not up to date with some specifics Unique Local etc. Direct Access/BranchCache exam question wordings are exactly the same as TechNet so worth spending some time there. You have to be really good at DNS (lots of questions, really tricky ones).
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]