Options

Interesting Windows 7 Issue

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I had a user who I had recently given a new laptop too. Everything was working well, but he came over claiming he could not print in color. Another user who attempted to help him claimed that it was true. Obviously, having built the image myself, I wasn't inclined to believe them. Walk over, print a test page, and no color. I loaded that proper Ricoh MP 5500 Windows 7 64bit drive, albeit the PCL5 version. Checked the settings and could find nothing that would say "do not print color." Tested a printer in another office and it prints color just fine. So I download and install the PCL6 driver, same issue. Thus now I am stumped, what else can I do? As I poke around the other printers I noticed that there was a label that simply said "Color: No". It definitely has the ability to print color, as others in the office do not have an issue. Having tried everything I could think of, I relented and installed it using the Universal PCL6 drive. Tested and success! No idea what about the other drivers stopped it, but for once the universal driver worked.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Going out on a limb here, but is it a setting on the acutal printer itself?
    Was the printer in the other room using the same PCL drivers?
  • Options
    They were different model printers, but we used the same drive for other Windows 7 machines without issue. I didn't explore to see if there were an option on the printer itself, but being that other computers didn't have an issue I didn't believe I needed to check the printer.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Weird. What is different? Same model laptops? Maybe it was a freak install cockup?
  • Options
    We moved him from a Dell desktop to a Lenovo laptop. Dells all appear ok, so it could be a laptop issue. But it definitely could be an install issue, but I didn't feel it would be worth removing the driver properly. I'm going to chalk it up to one of those black hole IT issues....I fixed it, but no idea why it was a problem in the first place.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Migration of a profile with a preconfigured driver and printer options to a different hardware platform... Glad I don't do that stuff anymore.
  • Options
    Ah, I only copied and pasted his documents to a thumb drive, he signs in and I drop them into the right folder. ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice find Grinch. My first reaction would of been reimage the machine in hopes of fixing in error that may of occurred. You never know if a user installs some goofy program on their machine that does who knows what to the machine.

Either way nice find!
  • Options
    Lazy Grinch? Or perhaps a persuasive Grinch in dealing with users.
  • Options
    LOL ah a lot of the people here are laid back and don't mind on occassion allowing me to truly troubleshoot. I literally had just imaged the machine a week before so if it came to that, I probably would have just tossed the laptop lol
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff