Options

Demand/need for Linux server admins?

Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
So I am in the midst of studying and doing my CCNA/CCENT, and am wondering where I should go after that. I considered networking/network engineering, but the more I study for my CCENT the more I wonder whether I'll enjoy networking as much as I would servers/sysadmin stuff. Realistically my first "above entry level" job will be a jack-of-all-trades position, hence why I am going for my CCNA.

To be quite honest Windows bores me, I really don't want much to do with their servers, so that question is answered. However Linux systems fascinate me, not only on a desktop level but also on a server level. Maybe it's because I already know much about Windows systems/in general, who knows. All I know is that I am for some reason drawn towards Linux.

The better question remains: is there are large market share/demand for Linux sysadmins? For example: are Linux servers common in job searches? Or is it more of a niche market that really doesn't employ too many people?

I'd like to hear your opinions.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's big enough. I don't know of any good *nix admins who are struggling to pay the bills. There is less demand overall (Windows is more common in all sectors), but still good demand and the ones who really "make it" actually make a bit more than the "average" Windows guys.

I'm also noticing more and more positions that want a least a bit of Linux or that want strong skills in both. Outside of the highly isolated teams common in very large enterprises, more and more positions seem to require well rounded knowledge -- Windows, Linux/Unix, VMware, Citrix, Networking, Security, probably in that order of commonality for systems administration/engineering type positions.

My point is that you should feel free to specialize in what you enjoy. There aren't many platforms truly on their way out -- even desktop engineering (deployments, scripting, etc) is still a big specialization in the age of the "cloud", BYOD, etc. Linux certainly isn't going away anytime soon.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    How "more than average" would we be talking about? I mean I haven't read much on here in terms of breaking into the Linux area of things, would it be hard for a newbie (harder than say, Windows oriented jobs)?
  • Options
    I don't think breaking into that specialization is really much harder. There are fewer jobs, but still plenty if you live in metropolitan areas. Linux is a bit more complicated to learn, but not fundamentally so different that Windows is comparatively easy money. The trick is that there are virtually no destkop support and helpdesk jobs focused on Linux -- 95% or more of those jobs are 90% just Windows, roughly speaking. Mac is more common, and at least BASH and UNIX principles are present there, but I wouldn't really look at that as an avenue to Linux administration. I'm sure some of the Linux guys on the site will share their stories, but I imagine most transitioned either from Windows/generalist sysadmin positions or even networking positions.

I don't recall specifics, but I remember reading a few reports that on average Linux server administrators made more than Windows. I wouldn't look too deep into those figures, though; Windows-heavy guys are more likely to specialize in something in particular and make big money not as really a Windows server admin, per se. The bottom line is that both tracks are plenty lucrative. It's kind of like being a doctor in that it doesn't matter that much what you specialize in, only that specialize. And just like a doctor, you'll still make plenty of money without really specializing too deeply in any particular platform or product.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    The demand for competent Linux/Unix admins is decent to say the least. Try monster or other job searches and see the jobs posted, there is a high demand.

Breaking into Linux/Unix is not easy. Use your current job if you have any Unix/Linux servers, and try to do some admin related tasks (user administration, scripting, maintenance,..etc whatever you have there).

Get RHCSA and try to find an entry level admin jobs.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    What about the Linux+ and LPI exams? Are they worth it, or should I go right for RHCSA after my CCNA? I am also considering doing Server+. Any thoughts on those?

The biggest problem here is getting experience to go along with this, like ptilsen said.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i would say if you have no linux experience i would do the linux+

skip server+
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    those certs are not bad, but I'd skip them. Go with RHCSA, it's practical and it shows that you know how to do things.

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Get Linux+ and then specialized Linux certs like RedHat. Go back and get Server+ at some point because you might need it if you are going to be working around servers or doing contract work, though it's largely irrelevant to Linux server administration. In this job market, people who do hardware AND software are more likely to get hired.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I would go for the Linux+ to begin with if you have no Linux experience. There can be a very steep learning curve to pick up Linux. Diving into something like the RHCSA can be daunting if you don't know basics like vi, basic shell commands, etc. Even if you don't take the Linux+ exam, just absorb the fundamental material.

The path your looking at leads to things like systems engineering. Linux can be your OS of choice, you'll know basic networking (CCNA), then pick up scripting (bash, perl, python, etc.), and then sql/storage/security/virt. or another refined focus. Your position becomes systems engineer with a specialization of some sort. Although, you'll become an SME in one (or a few) area(s), you do need to know a bit about all of those areas.

In the mean time develop your Linux skills, becoming a JOAT, and try to see what you enjoy working with. For an entry position, work your @$$ off at home, building out a network an becoming uber familiar with Linux (it can all be VMs!). Then technical interviews will be a piece of cake and an entry level Linux job can be had almost sans real world experience. Ambition, persistence (faith), and comprehension can go a long way.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Go with what you're interested in, that's always the best choice. As others have mentioned, a good place to start is probably going to be Linux+, then either the LPIC-2 & LPIC-3 path, or on to RHCSA & RHCE. Of the two, the Red Hat certs are probably going to get you more recognition by employers, so that's something to think about. As for demand, it's definitely out there. I'm a Windows Sysadmin by trade, but I'm finding myself having to bone up on my Linux skills as of late because it seems that every employer I talk to either wants to see more-than-basic Linux knowledge from their candidates, or they are moving towards a mix of Windows and Linux (most often Red Hat) servers.

The Cisco path is always a good one to couple with sysadmin work, even if you only take the CCNA. If I remember correctly, there is quite a bit of networking material on the Linux+ exam(s), so you'll have to decide which tests you want to tackle first. Also, don't discount anything at this point in your career. After your journey through Linux-land and up the mountain that is Cisco's cert-pyramid, you may find yourself looking at those Microsoft exams with new interest. You might find yourself doing all sorts of things you never expected to as you work. Either way, stick to what you enjoy while you still have the option to do so. . . you never know when some employer will demand you learn to work with something they've arbitrarily chosen to buy.

Best of luck to you in your studies, and your cert-goals. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your insightful and helpful posts! Especially you onesaint and Slowhand, that helped me out a lot!

Thanks folks :D
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 on Linux and Networking Slowhand...

The two go hand in hand. If you know one really well, then you can be pretty decent at the other. Most network operating systems are highly customized *nix OSes. If you work in unix/linux, you'll be amazed how many standard *nix commands are tucked away in routers/switches.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    A word about a career in Unix/Linux administration....

It's considerably different Windows. In Windows, there's only one operating system to deal with, it's Windows (despite different versions). You may have to manage AD, Exchange, DNS..etc, and there's structured way of learning them by learning the topics in MCSE/MCITP.

In Unix/Linux, things are different. It really depends on the environment. For example, some environments might be running Red Hat exclusively, and using Apache/Tomcat for webhosting. They expect you to know Apache/Tomcat in depth. While other environments might be running Oracle database on Solaris, utilizing VCS (VERITAS) products to manage storage/High Availability and so they will expect you to know how to add/remove volumes online, and how to handle the cluster in mission critical servers.

Other environments might be completely different. They may require heavy scripting on Python (because a Sr. Architect thinks that Python is the best thing that ever happened to the world), so they would expect you to spend 90% of your time writing Python scripts. Other environment might be running IBM AIX, using LVM, and some services like DNS, and OpenLDAP, so in the interview they will ask you detailed questions about those services. Some might be using Sun Java Web Server, Mail Server, and Directory services, so they require someone who can solve their problems.

What I'm trying to say is, you do need to get an entry level job somewhere, where you get to build experience in a certain environment (any environment). Certifications can be useful initially because they have a formal structure you can follow to know a certain number of topics, but beyond Solaris and Red Hat certs, they aren't of much use. You will need to learn on the job, and experiment on VMware a lot - constantly. There's no end to the learning process. You need to keep reviewing what you learned, and be prepared to take action when needed with zero chance of failure. Be prepared to bring the system up when it panics, troubleshoot the services when they're down, monitor the performance (what tools should you use? and why? what's the meaning of the outputs of those tools? how to judge whether the current performance is optimal or poor and when to take action?). you will need to keep reading those system administration books by different authors. You will face problems that you will solve and some that you won't, so you will need to ask on formus/linked in. Certifications become more useless when you have more than 2+ yrs of experience (sometimes before).

When you have 5+ or 10+ or even 20+ yrs of experience you should know that you will not be the ideal candidate for all the environments. For example, if you have 5 yrs experience with Linux (Redhat, + Web server : apache/tomcat, network services, firewalls) and 5+ yrs of experience with Debian and directory services (like OpenLDAP), then you wont be the ideal candidate for an environment that's using Solaris (or AIX) with VCS, and Netbackup. Yes you might be able to catch up, but you will need an opportunity for that (assuming that you're not burned out already).

Good luck and enjoy the ride..

• Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    ill tell you my little story how I got , or should I say 'how Im about to get into' the linux world.
    I'm a microsoft sysadmin in a small company, I got really bored of the microsoft system administration role, I started digging into linux and ordered a CLI book and started reading it cover to cover to get the basics...
    after i got a little confident I tried some random things on our linux servers (we have about 3 of them) , nothing that could cause any harm or risk of losing data.
    then I decided to **** windows 7 and install Debian as my main OS. there's nothing better than working 24/7 with linux and get into daily troubles, there's no chance not learning a thing or two because of that, you always want to change things on your own computer, that commits you and give you no choice but to google your problems and self learn linux.
    That was about a year ago, I ordered several more books after finishing the first one, such as ubuntu LTS server administration, Bash scripting, automating unix and linux administration, finished them all as well. learnt bash scripting from examples on the net, got really comfortable with programming.
    then I wanted to get LPIC-1 certified...and then LPIC-2 was in mind, which I eventually got as well (Level 1 & 2 took me 4 months together) all in all, tomorrow I have my LPIC-3 Core exam :) so in 1 year I managed to get all of this. and the finale to this story is that I quit my job 3 days ago and got hired as a Linux system administrator starting from next month, my salary jumped 50% higher.
    everything is possible.
    RHCSA/RHCE book is already on it's way to me, I will get that too. dedication and loving what I do is the key to what I think is called success.
  • Options
    This thread is living (in a way...) proof of how awesome this community is. Thanks for the excellent and helpful replies guys!
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    is there are large market share/demand for Linux sysadmins? For example: are Linux servers common in job searches? Or is it more of a niche market that really doesn't employ too many people?
    Linux administration market is smaller, but in a good way. Linux jobs typically focus on specific, specialized, and critical systems (versus average Windows jobs often being JOAT). Working in Linux environment requires much deeper understanding of OS and software architecture; it's pretty much impossible to BS one's way through this career. Not surprisingly, I find that unlike Windows jobs, in Linux world there is actually a growing demand for / shortage of skilled people. And for that reason the pay is typically higher as well.

IMO, a move into Linux realm is a smart one, and it can be made into a good career. UnixGuy's post on Unix/Linux admin careers is great, and I fully agree with all of it.

Re certifications, I don't think Linux people really care for them. I have made my way to a relatively senior admin position without taking a single Linux cert or ever getting asked about it. Certs are a nice bonus, but experience is a requirement.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    One thing I could say in response to ChooseLife's post is regarding the 'BS one's way through this career' bit. While it's true, there are plenty of huckster Windows admins out there, the number you see on the Linux side of the fence isn't quite as big, but you're bound to find at least one or two blowhards out there working in *NIX environments who tout themselves as gurus while possessing entry-level skills at best. The folks who talk a big game but can't walk the walk when it comes to Linux are what I generally refer to as "Linux Zealots". . . the people who use Linux because they hate Microsoft, not because they like Linux in the first place. (This is especially common in the younger crowd of Linux enthusiasts.)

Basically, the scrutiny and expectations are higher in Linux/Unix networks since the pool of people working with them is so much smaller. I think it would be fair to say that you can certainly fake your way through Windows administration work for much longer periods of time, but you would most likely be found out in either environment eventually. icon_wink.gif

• Options
    The thing that I sense with Linux is that it would be easier to learn on my own, due to available documentation/source/open communities. I find that when working with Microsoft technologies, the Microsoft Press books are basically all you've got.

A lot of you guys say that I should practice with VMs. When you say that, do you mean like installing and then tooling around with them? Like what should I be specifically learning, just knowing the ins and outs of the OS, bash/sh, Perl, Python, etc?

Apologies in advance for sounding like a newbie. I'm only 18 and trying to establish a 5 year plan here haha.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    kudos to you for laying out a plan. Unix/Linux careers can lead down many paths as many IT avenues rely on Unix. All the cloud stuff, firewalls, embedded devices, etc. are largely based on *nix. The general rule of thumb I've found is that MS covers internal facing servers and messaging. Unix is everything else.

As for learning, start with a single machine and set up some VMs on it with kvm, xen, etc. Install a base RHEL or Deb flavor, then you can put 2-4 VMs on it and create a small lan with the VMs. Learn basic shell commands, monitoring, tuning, light scripting, deployment, management, and so on. Do things like installing the same OS 5 different ways, 50 different times. Then move into deploying services like DNS, DHCP, FTP, HTTP, heavier scripting, perl, python, etc. Your eventual goal would be something like this, while continuing to evolve your setup: http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/76983-how-extreme-your-home-network.html#post631156
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    The thing that I sense with Linux is that it would be easier to learn on my own, due to available documentation/source/open communities. I find that when working with Microsoft technologies, the Microsoft Press books are basically all you've got.
    That's not entirely true. There are lots of resources out there for Microsoft technologies, most of which are free.
    • Technet is a good place to start.
    • Daniel Petri's site comes up in most cases when I search for a howto or a fix on Windows Server, among other things.
    • MSExchange.org came recommended to me by a former colleague who worked extensively in messaging.
    • There are many more out there, too numerous to list here.
    We also have some great examples of how to find documentation and information online right here on TechExams. Have a look at the first few stickies in the Windows Server 2008 forum, and you'll see what I mean. As a certain, sleepy-eyed FBI agent on TV used to say, "The truth is out there". (You just have to look for it.) icon_wink.gif
    onesaint wrote: »
    The general rule of thumb I've found is that MS covers internal facing servers and messaging. Unix is everything else.
    I think this is a great 10,000-foot view of where Microsoft and Linux technologies stand today. There are obviously exceptions and other complicated details to it, but it's not a bad way of thinking about things when someone is first starting out in the IT field. When I worked for a video game shop, this breakdown was very apparent; the Windows servers were used exclusively for end-user needs and the Linux servers were used to host the game for developers and testers.

• Options
    I think there are some big exceptions there. IIS still runs what, 20-30% of web sites? Apache on Windows isn't that uncommon either. SharePoint is a common external-facing service as well, and there are definitely some big hosting providers that offer IIS and Hyper-V environments as opposed to Apache and VMWare, respectively. I'm not disputing the *NIX and Apache are the bigger players, but MS technologies are not a small player in this market, compared to say Apple on the desktop or MS in the smartphone sector.

I will agree that *NIX is definitely much more commonly seen in web services and Windows in everything else.
  • Options
    onesaint wrote: »
    As for learning, start with a single machine and set up some VMs on it with kvm, xen, etc. Install a base RHEL or Deb flavor, then you can put 2-4 VMs on it and create a small lan with the VMs. Learn basic shell commands, monitoring, tuning, light scripting, deployment, management, and so on. Do things like installing the same OS 5 different ways, 50 different times. Then move into deploying services like DNS, DHCP, FTP, HTTP, heavier scripting, perl, python, etc. Your eventual goal would be something like this, while continuing to evolve your setup: http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/76983-how-extreme-your-home-network.html#post631156

That was a mouthful. I'll get started on that as soon as I can, I have a lot to learn.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    mint linux is very newuser friendly
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    mint linux is very newuser friendly

Oh I'm talking about the IT side of it. I know linux to use it on a day to day basis (and customize it to make it look pretty, lol).

Other than that it's time to hit the books.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Hey OP, If you want to break into Linux and don't have a lot of experience with it, try linuxzoo.net. They'll let you login to their Linux VMs and play around. They even provide some decent instructions. Try this page as well for some good starters as well: Linux Fundamentals, Part 1 - Funtoo Linux
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options

Absolutely epic. Thank you so much!
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you don't have experience, I know of a few more helpful sites.

1) Linux Home Networking | Tutorials and Forums (one of my favorites)

2) HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

3) nixCraft: Linux Tips, Hacks, Tutorials, And Ideas In Blog Format (another awesome resource)

4) A really good way of learning Linux and getting a better feel for it, is to join a couple Linux forums and help troubleshoot someone's issue or just read a whole bunch of threads. Once you start getting the hang of Linux/BASH, and you begin to see questions you can help with...its a great feeling.

Linux Forums
    Ubuntu Forums
    Linux Forums - LinuxQuestions.org
  • Options
    Thanks all of you! Seriously, I bookmarked everything, you guys are awesome.
  • Options
    A lot of you guys say that I should practice with VMs. When you say that, do you mean like installing and then tooling around with them? Like what should I be specifically learning, just knowing the ins and outs of the OS, bash/sh, Perl, Python, etc?

Look at the curriculum of Linux+ and RHCSA. See the topics there and practice them. You should know how to add/remove/modify user accounts, groups, reset passwords. you should know how to browse through directories (ls, pwd, cd, ..commands), and how to "tar" , "zip", "gunzip", directories, and files. Know how to use ftp/ssh/scp/telnet/sftp, to transfer files between servers. Say for example, there are some important files that the developers asked you to backup, so you need to keep a copy of those files on some safe disk or tape, you will need to use "tar" then "zip" then scp or ftp. Try to write a bash script that does this for you. Then try to schedule it in "cron".

how to configure IP address to your server? what are the files that you need to edit to add the IP/Netmask/gateway ?

You should know where are the logs? you need to know what logs to check when there's a problem with the system. You MUST *MUST* understand how to partition a disk.

For example, when you install Linux, on what hard drive did you install it? how do you partition that hard drive? How much space did you give to root? what about swap??

Say if you have a directory called "Data" where the application must be installed, how do you partition your disk to make /data on a separate partition?

Next, how to protect your disk? by using RAID. For linux, you must know LVM, and raid. When to use software RAID and when to use hardware RAID and WHY? What's the difference between RAID 1, RAID 0, RAID 1+0, and RAID 0+1 ?

you must know the answer for all the questions about.

• Options
    Regarding people *BS*ing their way in the Linux/Unix world, there are plenty of those. In all IT jobs you will find them. You will deal with those who stayed in the same company for 10 yrs and got promoted to "Team Leaders" or "Systems Consultants" or "Supervisors".

you will deal with people who worked only in one place their entire life and think that there's only way to do things. They will force you to do things their way, and they might boss you in an unprofessional manner. A lot of people suffer from a false sense of self worth and they will try to compensate for their lack of confidence/accomplishments by being jerks at work.

The thing about Unix/Linux (like everything else in IT), there is usually more than one right way to accomplish the same thing AND nobody knows everything. So dealing with insecure/power hungry/dumb people will be difficult because they usually want to force their way or sometimes try to judge you if you happened to forget one option in a command that you rarely use which they happen to use daily. So you need a thick skin of some sort, and you need to always be 100% sure of what you're doing. There's no chance for "let's reboot the server and see if the problem disappear". Read the logs, do a systematic troubleshooting, and know your system VERY well. Also, know your hardware very well.