Options

New Job

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
Early last year, I met the CEO of a service provider at a networking event. We exchanged e-mails back and forth and it seemed like he really wanted to get me working at his company. I would have taken it sooner but I knew the job would be extremely challenging as well as rewarding and VERY fast paced. I wanted to finish my undergrad degree with WGU first and give the CISSP a shot (still waiting on those results) before I jumped into anything that would keep me from my studies so I always turned him down. So when he emailed me last week asking if I was interested again, I decided to go in for a formal interview. Thanks to a lot of tips and advice I've seen on here, I was able to negotiate some very lucrative benefits for myself such as free training and profit sharing.

I'll be working with a lot of new technology that hasn't hit the market yet which is exciting to me. This is one of those roles where I will have heavy exposure to everything: servers, networking, databases, coding, end-user systems, virtualization, network security, hardware, software, training other techs, etc. I'm sure I'm going to be wreck for the first few months as I adjust from a slow-paced work environment to this but, in the end, I think I'm going to love it.

I'm super excited and I partly credit my success to all of you. I always enjoy reading what everyone has to share and I definitely take your great advice to heart.
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Congrats! That sounds spectacular. That sounds exactly like what I want to...O.o Iv got a long way to go though.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sound like a lot of fun. Congrats!
  • Options
    fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    congrats, and thank god for that
  • Options
    fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    congrats, and have a good work.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Keep us in the loop with the nice new shiney tech ;)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Take it one day at a time and listen to your peers, you'll do just fine!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Excellent! Good luck with the new gig! It sounds like it will be very rewarding.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the new job! It's amazing how you always turned down the offer, and yet he still wants you. The CEO must have been in love with you. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Excellent! Your story probably resonates with a lot of people torn between opportunities and their education. I myself being on of them, but I'm on the bubble where it's now or never. I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavors.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Congrats on the new position and holding off until you felt up to the challenge.

Seems like networking events do pay off! What kind of event was it?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats, the job sounds interesting!
  • Options
    maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    When I previously declined a position with him, I was honest about why and didn't burn any bridges.
    As for what kind of networking event, it was a infosec conference that I paid out of pocket to go to. I definitely don't regret it.

MrBishop, I feel your pain. I was restless for the last year staying at a job that paid less than what I was worth and wasn't giving me as much experience doing the things I loved. My SO is a med student about to graduate med school so I'm going to have to be the breadwinner and support us for the next 3-4 years of residency. This was the right opportunity at the right time
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Helping your SO is exactly what's it's about! It's hard finding the right balance between work, education, friends, and family. Some relationships don't make the journey because people these days want instant gratification. I know a friend of a friend that is currently a nurse, pushing her husband back to school. Her high salary affords them that luxury. Hopefully, you will begin to enjoy the fruits of your labor because I fell like I've been under the gun way too long!
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Amazing story I can't believe I am just seeing it now.

Awesome job and great work! I'm excited for you this sounds like a great opportunity!