Options

CCNA with video training

r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I need a few opinions from people who have done the one-track for CCNA and who have used either CBTNuggets or TrainSignal to help them along. I have both video series, along with Odom's books.

I'm renewing my CCNA, it expired in late 2010, and I'm more trying to refresh the technologies, theories and the added security and wireless. When I did my CCNA back in 2007, the CCENT/ICND2 weren't introduced as yet (or now being introduced I think, can't remember) and hence this leads me to my questions...

Both CBTNuggets and TrainSignal provides two DVDs, as we know one geared for the CCENT and then the other for the ICND2. How did you guys use these videos to get the best studying done for the one-track CCNA? Did you just watch DVD1 to the end and then DVD2, or did you try to combine like sections from each DVD?

For example...

In Odom's "How to use these books to prepare for the CCNA 640-802 Exam", he outlines which sections to read from both books:

Start here -> Network Fundamentals and LAN Switching from ICND1 -> LAN Switching from ICND2 -> IP Routing from ICND1...etc

I'm just trying to find out which method you guys would have used, and which you thought you got the best out of for the one track.

Thanks for any feedback,
Ryan
CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
Working on renewing CCNA!

Comments

• Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    Do you work with cisco's stuff at work? When was the last time you put that CCNA to use? If it's recent, I'd say just brush up on the things you forgot.

If I remember correctly, the ICND1 videos were all really basic things like how a switch makes its forwarding decision, management interface, configuring password, etc. Personally, I would skip that and just look at the ICND2 videos
  • Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    Watch dvd1 and dvd2, and use some fresh books too. there are few changes since 2007.
  • Options
    m3zilla wrote: »
    Do you work with cisco's stuff at work? When was the last time you put that CCNA to use? If it's recent, I'd say just brush up on the things you forgot.

If I remember correctly, the ICND1 videos were all really basic things like how a switch makes its forwarding decision, management interface, configuring password, etc. Personally, I would skip that and just look at the ICND2 videos

Yes, I work with cisco stuff almost daily. It's been in use even before I got my CCNA :).

I find that the ICND1 videos are really basic as well, but I figure to be complete I'd just go over everything. In your everyday job, you may or may not encounter (all of) the theory that the exam is looking for, so I just thought I go through those as well...
  • Options
    fsanyee wrote: »
    Watch dvd1 and dvd2, and use some fresh books too. there are few changes since 2007.

I have the Odom's 2nd edition of both cert guides, but I'm now realizing there's a 3rd edition...

I wonder what's the difference between the two editions...icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    I know i'm bumping an old thread but does anyone know the differences between the 2nd edition and 3rd?
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    I have 2nd edition at work and 3rd edition at home, and they are essentially interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. If you make sure to check the author's website for errata and corrections to the 2nd edition, you will be fine. Most people don't use a single source for anything anyways, I know I always hit cisco.com as well as reading the books, just for clarity.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I loved Odom's books and other people have spoke very highly of Lammle. You should sign up for a free account on ine.com. They are currently running a promotion where they are giving the CCNA R&S and CCNA Voice bootcamp videos for free. They are very nice and go into as much detail as CBTNuggets.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I looked at CBT but those videos are from 2007 or so. Has CCNA changed much since then? I haven't renewed my CCNA since 2004 and it looks like I could get a CCENT with minimal effort but ICDEN2 is going to take some study. I haven't configured a cisco router in years but I do reguarly troubleshoot downed T1s and above on 2900 series routers a few days a week. So it would be helpful to renew. In 2004 I used Lammle's book as I did in 2001 and had no trouble passing with 90%+ grades.

Apparently in 2007 CCNA got harder so i'm at a loss as to the best resource. There is a $5 kindle book on amazon that promises certification in 60 days "Cisco CCNA in 60 days" which is interesting. But if Odom is the new authority i'd consider spending the $38 on his hardcover set too.

Iris, if you had time to watch only one video set which would it be? CBT or INE? Obviously INE is free for now, but thoughts?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Since they both go into the same amount of depth and I believe the INE videos are more up to date, I would say the INE videos. I only watched the ones for the CCNA Voice but I found them really helpful and they're a great review
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    The INE R&S videos are really really good for depth. A bit dry at times, sure, but you definitely will get all the information you need out of them. CBT Nuggets have a lot of value if you have trouble getting into the material, as Jeremy Cioara (sp?) can hold one's attention much better than Brian McGahan. I did notice that having watched both sets, INE goes into a lot more depth in certain areas than CBT does.
  • Options
    Great replies both of you. Jeremy in CBT is a bit too nerdy for my liking so i'll try the free ine streaming vids. I don't know if you guys ever watched the trainsignal 2010 exchange videos with J. Peter Berezze (sp?). These have to be the most boring videos of all time. Guy covered all the material well enough but he put me to sleep within 5 minutes almost every video!
  • Options
    I've watched many of the INE videos, i'm up to video 13. As a former CCNA I appreciate Brian McGahan's speed and efficiency at plowing through the material. He also shows where the documentation is on Cisco's website, etc. Very good and not boring videos too.

If I were not network+ certified or had a former CCNA he might be going a bit quickly however. Still, you could probably get a 50% on a CCNA exam just by watching Brian's videos once through (23 hours). Pretty good study material!