Options

Server 8

Carter.TechCarter.Tech Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I am just about to start studying for the MCSA server 2008 (ordered books yesterday)... Will this be a waste of time with server 8 coming out soon? What is the standard protocol when something like this happens? If you're already MCSA server 2008 certified will you then just have an extra test to take to upgrade to 8 or will you end up having to retake several more tests again?

I would assume Server 2008 r2 will still be around given most businesses won't be upgrading right away. Is that a good assumption? I have read that server 8 will be a "game changer" so I would hate to have to go through learning an entirely new system twice in a short amount of time.

I am also planning on going for the CCNA after the MCSA. Would I be better off waiting for server 8 certifications to come out and just do the CCNA now?

Ultimately, I want a well rounded IT background as I am wanting to get into management. But currently I really just want to get my foot in the door with a company to get me started and I assumed I would have better luck with a microsoft degree/no experience rather than a ccna/no experience. I do have 6 years experience at a community bank as a vault teller/new accounts rep/ customer service rep and am on my third year of college for business management. I want to get certified in something quick so hopefully I can land an IT job during my internship in the next 6-12 months. Without being certified in something I don't think I would be able to get a IT related internship given my business major.

If I could get anyones thoughts on this it would be very much appreciated. Thank you,

Comments

• Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I wouldn't hold back on learning/studying 2008 just because Server 2012 (as Server 8 is now officially known) is coming. There will surely be a few early adopters, but most businesses aren't going to use a new Windows Server platform until it's been out a year at least, or the first service pack. Most will wait even longer.

As for certifications, it will be a good 6 months after initial release until the certification exams for 2012 are available, and it will probably be an easier upgrade path if you already hold MCSA on 2008.

That said, the certs for 2008 are no walk in the park for people that have been working with Windows server platforms for years - it will require a lot of hard work and dedication with no experience, and no background in IT. The CCNA isn't going to be much easier.

Seeing as you're just starting out with no experience, I would look at CompTIA's "trinity" - A+, Network+ & Security+. I'm not sure why you'd need hands on IT experience if you're looking to get into management, but studying for those will give you good background info for getting started in the industry.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    Carter.TechCarter.Tech Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your quick reply. I have been studying the trinity for the last few months and feel that I have a good basic understanding of the names and definitions for the common terms in these areas. I am not big on the idea of paying to pass these tests as I am unsure whether having these certs will be necessary. But I do understand the importance of having that knowledge.

When I say management I mean to directly manage an IT team and be actively engaged in project management and leadership for that department. I feel in order to do that I should have a good idea of the systems? I don't like it when my manager is clueless as to how to do my job. Or am I off on what an it manager's responsibilitys entail?

Also, given that I'm 22 I will need to work my way up to management and having a job in IT seems like my best bet. Am I on the right path with my thinking?

Thanks again,
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    With Windows 8 about to be launched soon even I had some reservations on going ahead with 2008 R2. I spoke to a few people regarding the same and what I heard was that almost all business's like to play it safe. Currently 74% of server infra still runs on Windows 2003 so doesn't make sense to wait for Server 2012 or Win 8 at this time. It will take time for Win 8 to catch up, unless someone wants the newest/shiniest product in the market this will prevail.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]