Options

Co-worker tried to pull a fast one on me

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey TE,

I hope all is well with you all. I would like to know how would you best handle this situation if this happened to you:

I am given a list in the morning to assist users after the deployment of their Windows 7 OS. On the list have others of my co-workers that are assigned to a group of users for the day. One of my co-workers tried to pull a "fast one" by telling me he did helped three users on my list and that I am suppose to do one for him which was a Manager Director (they are a pain and very important people not to make mistakes on their system).

He took care of the first two users but when I got to the third user and asked him "did anyone from the IT department assisted him with setting up machine (Outlook, Network drives, Personal files, printers, etc.)". He told me no and the only thing he did was help him to log into Windows 7. After setting this user up with what he need, I called my co-worker and asked him about this and then he told me "all he did was log him in".

From that point on, I didn't trust him and what is really interesting was that we both graduated from the same vocational program. How can I handle this???

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I was in the same situation but a network project. Im contemplating if I should report him to our manager.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Even if someone says they helped someone and it's my responsibility to ensure they were helped, I follow up again with them. I would concern myself with making sure that my butt is covered and wouldn't worry about what to do about the other person that lied or didn't do the follow up. What goes around comes around and they'll end up sinking themselves eventually.
  • Options
    How did you handled it if you didn't report it yet NOC? I held an grudge against him but tried to let it go by greeting him in the morning/during the day, etc.
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    Even if someone says they helped someone and it's my responsibility to ensure they were helped, I follow up again with them. I would concern myself with making sure that my butt is covered and wouldn't worry about what to do about the other person that lied or didn't do the follow up. What goes around comes around and they'll end up sinking themselves eventually.

Good point but that day I remember that Manager Director was on the same floor I was working on that day. If I only covered myself that day and went back to management for the meeting on the progress of the clients and if my PM found out that we didn't take care of it, then I would be up the creek without a paddle.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Talk to him and tell him not to do it again. If you suspect shenanigans, secretly record the conversation if your state laws allow it.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    How did you handled it if you didn't report it yet NOC? I held an grudge against him but tried to let it go by greeting him in the morning/during the day, etc.

Mine happened this past friday. I figured out its his whole network project that was assigned to him on the weekend.

He asked me whats the solution on the project and I gave him a solution. After that he asked me to give him the full blown solution, from implementation, cost of gears that will be needed, test plan, and etc. From there I figured out that it was a full blown network project that was given to him. The shady part is he told me not to ask for help from any of my co-workers. lol

Talk to your boss and let him know whats going on. In my case, this guy is close to my boss so i dont know what to do.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My my, that is not very honorable at all.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    The best you can do is manage the expectations that your managing director puts on you. So whether that's making sure that your clients are followed up with, or that the entire team that managed the floor followed up with everyone, that's all that anyone can ask of you. Unless your managing director is coming down on you, I would worry about yourself and ensure that you're doing what YOU need to do first. Then help your team if you have spare cycles to do so. That's really all anyone can ask of you right?

I've generally found that 'telling' on other employees leads to a hostile work environment and can spoil relationships that are outside of you and that person. Again, someone will notice eventually when someone isn't pulling their weight. What I've realized working over the last 12-13 years, is that even if you think a manager doesn't notice you're probably wrong.
  • Options
    MeatMeat Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I always say that being in the IT field is 50/50. 50 percent technical and 50% customer service. Learning to deal with difficult/complex customers and picking the more difficult/complex technical tasks will make make you a better person in the long run. Many years ago I worked helpdesk. Several users had access to the ticket que. I always picked the hardest ticket or delt with the most difficult customer. Sometimes voluntarily and and sometimes involuntarily. I'm system engineer today. Not exaggerating but most of them are still at helpdesk. Yes i have increased my technical skillset over the years but I also provided excellent customer service and I was usually assigned to deal with VIPs, Managers, directors, etc. I once did a VIP with 30+ PSTs and I once migrated the Gov't Program Manager over the entire Desktop refresh project. My manager's didn't trust anyone else to do it. I just had to be very careful and have confidence in myself. And those VIPS gave great kudos to my mangers.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Walk right into his office and challenge him to a ro sham bo match in the data center...may the best man win
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Alhaji265 wrote:
    ...From that point on, I didn't trust him and what is really interesting was that we both graduated from the same vocational
    program. How can I handle this???

Why don't you review your assignment with your Supervisor. Or simply 'clarify' your goal with your supervisor on this task. Then ask him/her if they mind if you bounce something off them (or whatever is the best way to say that for you). If they say, 'yes', proceed with the situation (without making the other worker look like they did it intentional...give them an out), but you wish to ensure to prevent anything like this in the future for the uptime of the whole company and the integrity of your department (you don't want the others you service to avoid calling you guys because THEY cannot trust you).

And I fail to see how graduating from the same school matters, but if this person made a mistake, help them find a way to solve it. If the person continues to have no integrity, then don't let them 'help' you any further.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?