Article about the supposed "tech shortage"

jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
Another article about the supposed "tech shortage" at News Headlines

I guess there is a shortage if you are looking for employees working for non-market wages.

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Or that when they say "high tech" they really mean programmers...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, I really think the article means developers more than infrastructure professionals. Not necessarily just programmers, but they don't mean there's a shortage of sysadmins, network engineers, helpdesk, etc. Maybe there is a shortage in some cases for those as well, but the article seems to be indicating that development specifically is where there is serious demand and very little supply.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    For some reason this article frustrates me.

I don't know if it's because he says there is that big of a shortage, the starting pay is $80k-$120k, or that 200k immigrants are allowed to come to the US to fill the positions.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, that article is very clearly directed at software engineers. NOT at sysadmins and network admins. It's confusing because the image shows a guy sitting in front of a rack of servers. But the article is clearly software related not infrastructure.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    There's always been a shortage of good software engineers simply because schools don't teach what needs to be taught. You take anything CS related and you get a bunch of crap that is worthless in the real-world and they focus on Java/C++ with pretty much nothing else on the curriculum. To make matters worse, companies only want to hire those with advanced degrees and they hand them out like candy at foreign universities where the programs are radically different than what we have here in America.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Yes, that article is very clearly directed at software engineers. NOT at sysadmins and network admins. It's confusing because the image shows a guy sitting in front of a rack of servers. But the article is clearly software related not infrastructure.

It's a mainstream article, so that means everyone who does anything remotely related to technology is pretty much interchangeable.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi