Options

Self Study GCIH

CBennett_00CBennett_00 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I'm trying to break my way into the security side of IT, i currently have A+, Security +, and CEH. I have my eyes set on GCIH now.
I'm going to attempt to self study for it as i cannot afford the self study package or the bootcamp and I'm currently in a helpdesk job that will only pay for A+ Sec+ and Net+. So I'm on my own to self study for this badboy.

Ive scanned the forums pretty well and have seen a lot of people that will buy the self study package but not a lot of people challenging the exam doing self study.

What I'm trying to find out is what are some good study materials for this?
I found this blog where the guy has collected information on the test but it was based on what he needed to study.
Insecurity Asylum: GCIH Study Plan

I have already picked up the three books that people recommended to him.
Counter Hack Reloaded by Edward Skoudis
Wireshark Network Analysis by Laura Chappell
Hacker's Beware by Eric Cole

Are there any other study materials i should look into or is his list pretty much on target?

Any suggestions or tips you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you've searched through the forums here, I'm sure you've seen all the self-study recommendations there are so far. I'd probably add Incident Response by Kevin Mandia as it's probably pretty relevant from a process point of view. The GCIH is partly about tools and general hacker techniques, but it revolves around the IR process so you need an idea of some of the legal aspects of investigations as well as the framework. Haven't read all the books on your list, but I'll say that the Wireshark book probably isn't as relevant.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/