Options

I went for a job interview, could use some advice

ChronoChrono Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I went for a job interview for a desktop tech position yesterday.

This was my first interview for a "real IT" position.

I was able to answer some questions, but their was a bunch I didn't know. They asked a bunch of networking questions which I wasn't expecting (just passed A+) and mentioned many terms that I'm familiar with but not enough to be able to answer their questions.

For example they asked:

"What is active directory" (I've never used this program but have heard of it)
"What is an OST file, what is a PST file" (looked it up, has to do with outlook, had not heard of it before)
"What is DNS"
"What is a router" (talked about wireless routers, though I'm thinking they wanted a generic definition of what a router does
"What does IP config do"
"What is a domain"
"Is this IP address valid; 127...

A lot of this seemed like Net+ material, and I just passed A+. My professional experience with regard to computers is in store desktop servicing, removing malware, doing hardware upgrades etc. I've never used active directory or outlook to this extent. But I'd like to learn (should I get books on these subjects or something?) They also asked If I have experience with blackberrys...I dont - what exactly am I supposed to know about them?

How do I get experience with all this stuff? I'm looking for desktop tech/help desk positions till I start school

Would be grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    You should get experience with those all in your first job. Remember though, often times they're trying to gauge what your experience level and aren't necessarily looking for someone who knows all this. You just need to find the right position that is truly entry level and willing to show you the ropes.

Have you tried contacting your school and asking about a position? -Often times those are the easiest for students to get and require almost no knowledge.

What area are you in by the way? -Often times memebers here, including myself, have entry level opportunities to pass on.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would recommend reading the Network+ and MS 70-640 exam material before going for a job like that. That should give you the basics and you will be able to answer all those questions except the OST/PST one. Just google some basic Outlook troubleshooting like how to repair Outlook, how to recall a message and how to back it up.

Until you get up to speed, I'd recommend a hybrid customer service/password reset tier I role that has the opportunity to move up. That'll give you a little AD experience while you learn
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    By the way, don't get discouraged. Six years ago, I didn't know what Active Directory was. I couldn't even join a computer to a domain and I'm doing awesome now. You'll get there
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    ChronoChrono Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Akaricloud. I'm in Chicago suburbs. So any positions in the city or suburbs are OK.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A help desk tier 1 job would be a great fit for you. It will give you a lot of exposure with many technologies and you can make a decision on what is a fit for you later on down the road. A typical desktop support position is generally a more advanced position than help desk roles and requires generally a more extensive knowledge of computer operating systems, as well as other aspects too. However some jobs are labeled one way and can be way different. We have tier 1 agents here where I work that could be considered tier 2 -3 style work.

Also know sometimes its not everything about what you know technically. Customer support roles also have different aspects you need to be strong on that aren't technical in nature. Read up on interviewing, be very prepared, research the company, dress professional. Just Keep plucking anyway on the interviews. There is plenty of demand for entry level Help Desk / Desktop support roles, anywhere you go.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am in the market for my first IT position as well, I have passed the 70-680 exam, studied for the 70-685, and I am reading a Network+ book as we speak. I can honestly say that once you have studied for and feel comfortable with the material provided for these exams, you will have a more intimate knowledge with the items that you listed than you probably would have thought. I would start with the 70-680, it can be a bit daunting but you have no hope of being a good Help Desk/Tech Support tech without the knowledge that it provides. I studied for but have not taken the 70-685 as well (broke as a joke) and that will teach you how to apply troubleshooting methods it is a great combo with the 70-680. Finally the Network+ material ties it all together by providing the entry level material for the Network Admin/ System Admin positions, having this base knowledge will help you communicate with and make suggestions to the Admins when something is out of your scope. These are just the humble opinions from a person who has yet to get his feet wet as well however so take them as they are...
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keep at it bro, about 5 and a half years ago I couldnt connect to a network printer, didnt know if Active Directory was a Microsoft thing or something to chop wood with, thought Microsoft Outlook was a magazine that they published and other stuff I'm too embarrassed to tell. The suggestions by Iristheangel are good, follow and thou may not falter.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Three years ago, I only knew how to reinstall Windows and fix really simple problems but it was enough to become a self-employed computer guy. I learnt while other people paid me :) I can easily answer all of the questions you were asked but most of my knowledge came as a result of work experience.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We all started ... Even if this one doesn't work out - going for interviews is great - sometimes you should just go for the sake of it to simply know what to expect when it counts ;)

You know how I started ? I have a degree in electronic engineering and was confused why people would need more than one PC - and what is that network about anyway ... who needs that .... pfff :p

I then left Germany and moved to Ireland working for Xerox as German tech support monkey - telling people how to clean printheads and how to clean the printer nozel ... My first contact with networking was a little printserver device you attach to the parallel port of a printer. Helping customer to configure these things was lovely - even if it was just by reading step by step notes .. Then I signed up at the company school doing all sort of tech courses .. loved it more ... first was the NT4 MCSE, then 2000 and so on, the rest is history ...

A lot of IT companies such as Xerox, Intel, IBM, HP, Microsoft etc. (they were pretty much on the same campus) need tech support agents. It is a dull job but normally doesn't require any previous experience.

It might be worth explioring this and use their internal tools to study and broaden your horizont ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p