thinking of leaving my current place - hard decission

healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi guys,

i am thinking of leaving my current place,

but its a hard decision as i like my role and the company the people are great and i love coming to work each morning and working,

i have being here like a year and 4 months and i have learned all i can and i believe there is not much career progression here, just promises but never happens, plus they will be hiring a person to look over my work (a senior and currently i am a one man band)

also they have ignore my performance review which i asked them many times
so looks like i will be stuck on my current salary i make close to 46k,

i am just sad to leave, i havent made my cv yet, which i will do but i am really gutered,

i do not see much hope in sticking it out for much longer but i am having a hard time ecomitionally trying to leave,

can someone plz advice me and share some experience.

Comments

• pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its always hard to leave someplace you enjoy working, and people you enjoy working with. But you have to do what's best for you, polish off the cv and get to cracking.
    God deserves my best
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with pizzaboy, very tough to leave a place where you actually enjoy going to work everyday. Just keep in mind that is something that is very hard to find. Don't jump ship for the first thing that comes along.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
    I had a similar experience recently. Felt like I was not growing professionally, broken promises about career growth, etc. But after talking to my boss and expressing my misgivings, I was offered a substantial raise and am now engaged in various projects that have really stimulated my interest and are demanding me to develop new skills. Also, there's something to be said for a job that you still love going to in the morning, not a lot of people can claim that. On the otherhand, is the emotional turmoil over possibly leaving due to feeling comfortable in your position and fear of the unknown? I would say talk to your boss/supervisor, but keep an eye open for other possibilities :)
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    jasong318 nailed it.

It's definitely worth mentioning to your boss. If you are as good as you say you are, the boss will likely want to keep you around. If he blows you off, then start looking for something else.
    The Nashville market works very similar to what you are in I believe. You basically work a year in an entry level position for aorund 45K. After that, you have the experience to appeal to other companies and demand a high salary closer to 60K.

Happiness is important, but you are at your job to make money. That is the bottom line.

"It's all about the money"
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You guys are right, i told my superiors that I want more work etc and stuff like I said in the earlier in my post,

If I get a offer and if I am leaving I will talk with my boss more,

this is not a entry level role I am busting my ass for it being a one man band etc

but yeah I am hoping for 55k to 60k
    tprice5 wrote: »
    jasong318 nailed it.

It's definitely worth mentioning to your boss. If you are as good as you say you are, the boss will likely want to keep you around. If he blows you off, then start looking for something else.
    The Nashville market works very similar to what you are in I believe. You basically work a year in an entry level position for aorund 45K. After that, you have the experience to appeal to other companies and demand a high salary closer to 60K.

Happiness is important, but you are at your job to make money. That is the bottom line.

"It's all about the money"
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've also been been thinking about leaving my current job. I've been thinking about it for about a year. One thing that I've learned is that sometimes paralysis can grab hold and even though logic may say that you should leave - you find other reasons to stay. And vice-versa as well. But that's when the paralysis sets in.

At one occasion in my career, I was in a similar situation - I loved the job and I enjoyed the company. I left not because of pay - but because of politics which I no longer wanted to deal with. In hindsight, it may have been a rash decision, but it was still the right decision. I don't regret just quiting even though I didn't have any place else to go - but I did leave on good terms.

I guess my only advice is that once you make up your mind - just do it - and don't look back. If you are able - try to find another job first. I know that in IT, even though logic might say that it's just a job - a lot of IT people that I know are defined by their job. It's really part of their persona.

Best of luck in whatever you decide - it sounds from your post that you already have decided that you want to go. Life's too short - sometimes you just have to do go do something different. Especially if you are younger and you have less responsibilities. I personally would like to just quit today and go back into consulting, but I am highly compensated and that's the handcuff that keeps me there.
  • techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    I don't understand what's going on here. They won't pay for you to get training or raises, but they are hiring someone to double check your work? Something does not seem right here. Are you sure that you're on as good of terms with management as you believe? Is there too much work for you to do yourself, so an extra person is required? Does this person principally perform another role and double checking your work is just a small component?