New Job Update

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
I'm finishing up my first week at the new job and thought I would write about it.

Since my new job has a 90 day probation period, I decided to keep my old job for the first 90 days in case it's not a good fit. I'm basically working from 11pm-7:30am at the old job Mon-Fri and 8:30am-3pm Mon-Thurs, 8:30am-5pm Fri, and 8am-5pm Sat at the new job. So far though, I have to say I really enjoy it. My old job didn't really give me the hands-on experience in diverse technologies that I would have liked to have had and the new job is completely the opposite. I don't even know what job title would encompass everything I'm doing in the new role. I'll be doing system administration for existing clients, network design for new clients, network engineer work for new and existing network infrastructure, server maintenance, VM administration work, network security, R&D for the creation of new and innovative products, project management, scripting, etc, etc, etc. I'm working with every product I've ever seen or heard of: Citrix, Netscaler, VMware, Unix, Juniper, Baracuda, Cisco Pix firewall, AD, Linux, etc, etc, etc. My new boss is giving me a list of certifications to pick up so in the next month I'll be studying for the CCA (If anyone could recommend some good books for this one, I'd appreciate it) then I'll move onto the MCITP:EA and the CCNP.

I feel like I should be intimidated but all I can feel is excited about all the things I'm going to learn. My old job was good for getting me through school since they gave tuition reimbursement and they allowed me to have tons of free time during the day to study, but I hit the limit of what I was going to learn by the third month of working there. I've always had technolust when it came to learning new technology and I don't think I'll be bored at this job anytime remotely soon.

Anyways, I've been up all night working and I'm probably going on and on too much but I just wanted to share that things are going well and write an optimistic post. I would have never gotten this far without the wise advice of some of the regulars on here. After sitting in a holding position for so long while waiting to get through school, it's finally nice to be moving ahead.
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome opportunity and wise decision holding onto your position until you have verified this position is for you.

Keep us posted on your new gig, it sounds like a great chance to really master a lot of technologies. Plus an employer pushing for certifications is a good sign imo.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    While I say congrats that you are enjoying your new job, with those hours I'd be very careful about not burning yourself out with lack of sleep/rest.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new gig! It sounds like you should pick up a lot of great experience in your new role. You will probably be very happy there.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Thanks, rwmidl. My hours at the new job were supposed to be 8am-6pm Monday-Friday but I told my new boss that I wanted to keep both jobs until the end of the introductory period so we could both know its a good fit. To accommodate me, he gave me short days Monday-Thursday and lets me come in on Saturday to do server maintenance. That gives me enough time between jobs to get a good 7 hours of sleep in and my graveyard job is EXTREMELY easy so I think I'm burnout-safe for now.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    That is really cool of your new boss to accommodate, grats on the spot!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I think that 3 months is a reasonable amount of time to pull off that schedule. Anything more than that would definitely be taking its toll on me. In the mean time, you should be making quite the nest egg for future studies or fun time.

Let us know it goes for you.
    Heh. That nest egg will probably go towards a vacation with the SO. She deserves it. She's been an AMAZING support for all my crazy schedules and studying that I've been doing for the last 3 years.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats and lots of props for doing the two jobs! I'm normally cranky, so any less sleep and the few people that can stand me would probably toss me in the river outside my building. Sounds like an awesome place to be and very nice that the technologies they have you working/certing on actually fit all together. Keep us up to date and again congrats! Now go get some sleep!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Excellent! Congrats (also looking forward to hearing your results for the CISSP!)
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    First, congrats on the new job! Sounds very exciting.

Second, ensure you have as much sleep/rest as possible as doing two full-time jobs will be extremely difficult. You probably don't need to hang on to the old job for the entire duration of the probation period, cause by the two-month mark you should have an idea whether things are working out for you. Also, you could consider reducing hours at the old job to the minimum just to have safety net/continuous employment history.

Best of luck!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's awesome you're able to work with so many technologies. Stay strong for the next 3 months icon_lol.gif.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sounds like a great opportunity! I did the 2 job thing for 3 months kept my old job as a weekend gig. until they gave me a hard time since i had to take off a couple of saturdays to get my wisdom teeth removed. I called it quits at that point dont need the aggravation as I was hanging around to help them out.
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Excellent post and damn, you're a workaholic with all those hours. The new job role seems to give you the perfect opportunity to gain a lot of experience working on many difference technologies. Good luck and remember that sleeping is a good thing!
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
    Three months isn't too long of a time to be doing it. The only thing that's kind of a pain is trying to find time to get my capstone done. I already procrastinate when it comes to writing papers so finding the time to bang out a 25-50 page paper is becoming daunting
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    First, congrats on the new position. You've really taken great steps to land this position and deserve it. Not to mention the recent certs, WGU, and all that. Your ambition is commendable. Plus, your new employer sounds fantastic.

On the double shifts, certs, and capstone; I would line your tasks/certs up one at a time and do what it takes to knock them out (mostly referring to the capstone). Take advantage of the slow night position and knock out what you can. Also, get some sleep.

Keep us updated on your progress.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    I'm actually pretty discouraged by the capstone. I don't know if it's just being tired or being a procrastinator. I've finished the "summary" of the proposal and I'm at the "review of other work" and just hit writer's block. It's hard to get motivated to do this thing
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    What are your rewards when it's completed? WGU done, BSIT, task completion (not on your shoulders anymore), don't have to pay another 3K for next term, etc. Take some small steps with it. Have a goal of writing 1-2 pages a day, minimum. Some days write 1 others 2. Lay out when you want this done by, keeping your minimum pace in mind (1 pg. per day). And write out your rewards for completion all over the place as a reminder. Heck, schedule that nest egg vacation as a reward for capstone completion. Although, I think you might have to put it off for a while with the new job. :)
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always tell people to do whatever it is you do to clear you're head. Sometimes you just need to clear everything out and then begin again. For some people it's a trip to the beach to sit and stare at the waves. For me, it's a nice long drive cruising at 60 and then stopping at a shrine. Always quiet and usually very few people, I just sit and daydream. Always seems to help me.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • itguy7itguy7 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I always tell people to do whatever it is you do to clear you're head. Sometimes you just need to clear everything out and then begin again. For some people it's a trip to the beach to sit and stare at the waves. For me, it's a nice long drive cruising at 60 and then stopping at a shrine. Always quiet and usually very few people, I just sit and daydream. Always seems to help me.

Truly wise. Thank you.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    You are in a very enviable position. Congratulations on landing what sounds like an encredible job.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    I'm actually pretty discouraged by the capstone. I don't know if it's just being tired or being a procrastinator. I've finished the "summary" of the proposal and I'm at the "review of other work" and just hit writer's block. It's hard to get motivated to do this thing

The capstone is tough. I just got my Tech Writing pass and am glad to have it behind me. I submitted my Capstone and am waiting on that pass.

Make sure you have at least 7 other works to review or you won't get full credit.
    7 other works? Whatttttttt? it doesn't say that in the rubric or instructions. The review is only supposed to be 2-4 pages long. My capstone is going to be about building a network for "my" company. Basically just setting up and securing the network equipment. I have a full CCNP lab so the legwork won't be that hard. Thanks to this site, I was able to find a really comprehensive blog from someone doing their CCIE and I figured that could be my other work to review since this guy has like 4 years of network and labbing info posted.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • ScamcenoScamceno Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats Iris, I just wanted to say your quite the inspirational individual.
  • itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    Congrats Iris! I am also on a new job doing so much more than I did before is really exciting. Talk about playing with all kinds of OC systems,Sonet, Junipers, Extremes, T-Marc, Cisco etc.... I feel I get better hands on experience and will allow me to obtain some nice certs in the long run. I am also building a new lab with all kinds of hardware. I will be posting pictures on my album soon once i get it finished. But I am really glad for you and good luck on your new job. =)

Network Administrator
    :

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT
    Nice! I always like seeing everyone's home lab. I have an album on my TE profile that shows all the nerdom/home labbing going on in my house. I have four times as many computers than rooms in my flat
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    Nice! I always like seeing everyone's home lab. I have an album on my TE profile that shows all the nerdom/home labbing going on in my house. I have four times as many computers than rooms in my flat

LOL! Nice, I got to check it out here soon. I am the same way love checking other people labs as well. =)

Network Administrator
    :

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT
    7 other works? Whatttttttt? it doesn't say that in the rubric or instructions. The review is only supposed to be 2-4 pages long. My capstone is going to be about building a network for "my" company. Basically just setting up and securing the network equipment. I have a full CCNP lab so the legwork won't be that hard. Thanks to this site, I was able to find a really comprehensive blog from someone doing their CCIE and I figured that could be my other work to review since this guy has like 4 years of network and labbing info posted.

Yeah, I know. If it would have said 7, I would have submitted the first time with 7. Oh and when it says "goals and objectives" it means more than one of each. I had a goal to "explore the hardware, software, and policies" and an objective to "provide hardware, software, and policy recommendations". This is one goal and one objective, according to TaskStream. So I changed it to "one goal is to explore the hardware. another goal is to explore the software", etc. This is what they wanted. My final paper is horribly written and organized because of these little nit-picky things that they want. This is not a paper that I would publish as is, even though it is on a topic that I plan to continue research on.
    Thank you SSSSOOOO much for this information, swild. I really needed it. I spent the last three weeks starting, stopping, deleting, rewriting my introduction because I thought I HAD to write X amount of pages. Ugh. I hate page minimums because I feel the pressure to add unnecessary fluff
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it depends on the grader and your paper. I was not asked to do that for my capstone and I got a nearly perfect score on it.