Got a position as Help Desk

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
quick question. I never done phone support (only on site support). What do you guys do if you don't know the answer to someone's question? Do you guys tell them "i don't know" or do you guys try to stall by having a casual conversation with them while googling the problem?

Comments

• lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    That's what they make the "HOLD" button for. And so that you can be cussing them out without there knowing it. Come to think of it, that's a very useful and under utilized button. icon_lol.gif

BTW, why change from onsite support to phone support? That seems like an odd move to me.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Dude, i just took the job out of desperation. It only pays $10, but i have no job right now and hopefully can move up to network admin. Also, do you tell the person that you are going to put them on hold, or you just do it? Lol, sorry for the dumb questions but i never did this kind of support.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I use lines like, "Let me take a look quick", "Hold on while I check my notes", "I need to research this". There's nothing wrong with neither of you talking during a call. Make some grunts or something if you want them to know you're still there.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    "im sorry to hear that you are having that issue. let me look into things on my end so we can get that fixed for you. "
    i usually say something like "may i place you on hold?" or "so, besidea this issue, how is your day going?" people like to talk and vent. i let customers vent to me and i usualy repeat back a detail or two to let them know im (somewhat) listening. just treat people with the respect you would like to be treated with. usually youll get it back. if you dont, dont take it out on the next caller.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 to Iris. When I did it, I would usually tell them I am going to confer with a coworker and would use the mute button instead of hold. I always found when they were on hold they couldn't get my attention, at least with mute if they said "hey you" I could respond. Also, depending on how the helpdesk is setup, you might not take the initial call. We have the NOC answer the calls and create the ticket, then we would call the customer back and begin to troubleshoot. If it was a big emergency, they'd get put right through to whoever was available at the time. Finally, you won't always have all the answers and no one will expect you too. Like others have said, you can have a conversation with them while looking something up or tell them "I'm remoted in, let me do some troubleshooting and I will call you back". Then turn off their keyboard and mouse, research, and fix. You'll find that your first month will be hard, but by month three you'll laugh because the issues tend to be the same. After two years, you won't think any issue that comes in is a fire and that's when you know you're good ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I usually would've told them, hold on let me look into it.. most questions you're getting on tier 1 should be readily available - then you have your escalation point
  • MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    Well you get this cool option of saying you are going to elevate this issue to the tier II techs.
    Guys, what do you think is the minimum pay that a help desk guy should get if he has the following credentials: 4 years of experience, associates degree in science, CCNA.

P.S. Lives in NYC.
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    sizeon wrote: »
    Guys, what do you think is the minimum pay that a help desk guy should get if he has the following credentials: 4 years of experience, associates degree in science, CCNA.

P.S. Lives in NYC.

tier1? 50k or so. I mean, if I had 4 years of exp, I'd prob look for a more senior position
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
    lol, so i am getting robbed. $10 per hour.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $50k for help desk?!?! Maybe in NYC or LA. With 4 years experience, AAS, and a CCNA why would you be doing help desk and not looking for a network position?
    TeKniques wrote: »
    $50k for help desk?!?! Maybe in NYC or LA. With 4 years experience, AAS, and a CCNA why would you be doing help desk and not looking for a network position?

Thats what i want. I have been looking for a couple of months now, but nothing.
  • w00tw00t Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are getting robbed for sure. 10 an hour? I have 10 months of experience and I make 16 an hour at least in help desk. The trick is to never let them know you don't know how to fix it, if that is the case. You can use phrases such as "I'm going to have to do some research and get back to you" or "I will have to get this issue to a engineer to check into this and I will get back to you." But I was working at an managed IT company for multiple clients, so I do not know if you are in the same boat. But in that scenario you have to insist someone in your company will have a solution to the problem. And if you can get with level 2 and a engineer it saves you time, the other persons time, and you learn something new without spinning your wheels for hours.